New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  2:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Queen,

Slightly different question for you... How many threads (some people also think of it as different voices) do you normally have going on in your head during the day?
Go to Top of Page

Queen

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  06:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Queen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I'm in England!

jeff - not sure I understand.. do you mean how busy is my mind? Then pretty busy, as it always is.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  08:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Queen,

Yes, I do mean how busy of a mind. One way to think of meditation is "quieting" the mind or shutting down all of the threads. Most people have 6-10 or more things going on in their head. All of those things are your "ego" which is distracting you from feeling any of the "benefits" of meditation. The key is ignoring it all and not giving the distracting thoughts any energy.

Instead of your normal meditation, I have a suggestion for something else to try. Make a playlist of relaxing music that you like. Put on some headphones and "just listen" to the music. Don't think and let the music wash over you. After a while, you will notice that the music actually seems to get louder.

Try it for awhile and see what happens. I would make some music suggestions, but I am probably a lot older.
Go to Top of Page

Queen

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  07:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Queen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds good jeff, I will do that :) Perhaps I should do some more general things that relax me.. Like chill out and take a bath with a cup of tea? Might that help my practice?
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  08:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Queen,

It is less about relaxing and more about being in the moment (or quieting the mind). The next time you get angry, try to "watch yourself" getting angry. If you can step back and watch, it actually becomes kind of funny.

Another easy step during the day... Whenever you have a free moment, ask yourself "Queen, are you there?" And then respond to yourself, "Yes Queen, I am here". It sounds silly, but you are consciously breaking the rythmn of your ego. Paying attention to anything and everything helps.

You are just starting with a lot of ego/mind noise. As you start to quiet your mind, you will start feeling the "benefits" of meditation.
Go to Top of Page

jenniferad

47 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  11:01:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

Another easy step during the day... Whenever you have a free moment, ask yourself "Queen, are you there?" And then respond to yourself, "Yes Queen, I am here". It sounds silly, but you are consciously breaking the rythmn of your ego. Paying attention to anything and everything helps.

I think that is really funny. I love it. I am going to try that a few times today. Anytime you can step back and kind of laugh at yourself, it's a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  2:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jenniferad,

If you like that one, I have a fun test for you (or anyone)...

Get a watch (or clock) with a second hand...See if you can watch the watch for 60 seconds without being distracted by random thoughts. You can use the mantra "stare only at the watch" if it helps.

There are stories of a Master who would make people pass this test before they could become a student...
Go to Top of Page

Queen

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  10:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Queen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

Whenever you have a free moment, ask yourself "Queen, are you there?" And then respond to yourself, "Yes Queen, I am here".

That made me laugh too :) Especially as, obviously, my real name isn't actually Queen... Nevertheless it has now stuck haha.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  12:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Queen (or whatever your real name...),

Never thought it was your real name, but I do think our "chosen" names tell us something about ourselves.

In the context of having a hard time with meditation, maybe think about what you are "saying" about yourself choosing the name "Queen".

Have a good weekend.
Go to Top of Page

rowan74

Germany
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  05:09:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Queen!

Hope everything is going well.
Of course I'm not sure if my reply helps you in any way, and some things have already been said in one way or another...but still who knows?

When I started with all this "meditation stuff" I had an extremely hard time letting go of anything (yep!) in general. Thoughts, stuff, you name it..

And of course I had my preconceived ideas about what's supposed to happen during or after meditation (quick note: I started a couple years ago with a different method).
Nothing noticeable happened, but I continued nonetheless. Then some day I just noticed that I wasn't so stressed out about something which normally sends me up the wall.

What I'm trying to say is that you most likely will not notice any significant changes or bright lights or visions but I can assure you meditation will change you for the better - and that's a guarantee

After approximately eight years working with meditation (not AYP) I can assure you that AYP will sooner or later will change you.
Expect nothing and just do it (I know, I know but hang in there girl, it will just take some time).

Or as jeff wrote a couple posts before "You are just starting with a lot of ego/mind noise. As you start to quiet your mind, you will start feeling the "benefits" of meditation." (description of me eight years ago )

take care & all the best
Go to Top of Page

xir

Ireland
25 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  06:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
~Meditation~ is a beautiful unfolding process ... about itself ... if you are here, then listen ... then be here again ... it's all about self-improvement and positive remarks about how it will help you ... eventually the ego will get seen through ... and being here is as effortless as the very positive remarks about how meditation has helped ... it takes a moment ... although the unfolding takes some time... sometimes no time at all ... depends how it is seen ....

Go to Top of Page

crab

India
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  03:09:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Queen,

quote:

SeySociere - No, I have always had anger issues... Been a stressy/irritable/neurotic person, etc. Ok, I started meditation to fill needs, of course I did - I too wanted to dive within, tap into my inner silence etc. I had hoped it would also calm me down and relax me. But I wasn't thinking 'I am meditating and meditating, and haven't felt calmer yet...' hence why I continued despite of not directly/consciously feeling anything. But rather, it suddenly clicked and I realised 'wait... I am still as stressy/irritable/angry as I have ever been.. Yet I have just been meditating for 7 months. So it can't have done anything.

If you are not already doing it, may be you should try AYP meditation after exercise. By exercise, I mean jogging/running/swimming/asanas/cycling/aerobics - stuff that will really make you sweat; not just walking. Do the meditation after that, and see if it makes a difference.

Based on my own experience, I have no doubt that AYP techniques are one of the best. But to do AYP meditation, you need to be slightly tired - this will come only from exercise. Exercise actually drains out all energy from the sympathetic nervous system, and activates the parasympathetic nervous system - at this stage, doing meditation feels very good for me. This should help you control the anger/irritability part.

-Crab
Go to Top of Page

Queen

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  12:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Queen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Crab,

That sounds interesting, I'll have to give that a go. I'm assuming you mean before evening meditations?
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  12:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is an interesting point Crab. I personally find my evening meditations (after all the day's activity) feel lot more effective than my morning ones. I'm planning to switch the morning ones to after workout or to before lunch.

But general suggestion of AYP is for activity after practices and not before. Yogani can probably clarify this
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  2:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
But general suggestion of AYP is for activity after practices and not before. Yogani can probably clarify this

Hi All:

It is fine to exercise before meditation, if we cool down adequately before we sit. Remember, asanas, pranayama and meditation are for progressively settling our nervous system down into deep inner silence, so it is not going to be helpful if we start our practice when we are still panting with heart pounding.

The guru is in you.

PS: This is also why we meditate before meals, instead of right after, so our practice going toward reduced metabolism and stillness will not be competing with the activity of digestion.
Go to Top of Page

Thouqht

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  8:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Queen!

Quick suggestion for you: Try lesson 150 on Samyama.

In all of my spiritual seeking, one of the most important lessons I've learned was how to get out of my own way. What I mean by that is that your own expectations can drastically limit your reality. Samyama a systematic letting go of an intention.

Everyone has a higher calling, but we can greatly limit our access to it by trying to predict what it should look/feel like. We don't see what we expect, and we think we aren't making progress and that is the reality we live in. Learn to let go and give God some room to work
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  9:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Thouqht

Hi Queen!

Quick suggestion for you: Try lesson 150 on Samyama.

In all of my spiritual seeking, one of the most important lessons I've learned was how to get out of my own way. What I mean by that is that your own expectations can drastically limit your reality. Samyama a systematic letting go of an intention.

Everyone has a higher calling, but we can greatly limit our access to it by trying to predict what it should look/feel like. We don't see what we expect, and we think we aren't making progress and that is the reality we live in. Learn to let go and give God some room to work

If I did not know better I would said I wrote that post.
Very well said.
Thank you.

And welcome to the AYP forums.
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  09:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Thought - I like that - " how to get out of my own way"
Go to Top of Page

Queen

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  7:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Queen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Thouqht

Samyama a systematic letting go of an intention.

This is exactly what my problem is in life. But can I attempt lesson 150 without having first mastered all the previous lessons? I have tried to meditate a few times since posting this thread 6 weeks ago. I have managed maybe 2 20 minute sessions.. but mostly when I think about it, I feel too angry and let down to try it again.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  11:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Queen

But can I attempt lesson 150 without having first mastered all the previous lessons?

The only prerequisite of samyama is having a stable deep meditation practice for some time, and some inner silence cultivated.

I haven't read this entire topic, but if you have some inner silence from daily meditation, then samyama can be added. Samyama will be effective in relation to the amount of inner silence you have.

Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

Queen

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  7:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Queen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's the problem.. finding it hard to cultivate some inner silence :(

I have tried the breath technique - that is, focusing on the natural flow of my breath - as meditation a few times instead of the mantra. I think I have felt more relaxed during that... I am considering trying this twice a day for a while instead. But I keep hearing that Transcendental meditation (does AYP mantra meditation come under this?) is the best kind. I am overwhelmed with information, so many techniques and so many saying theirs is the best. I am so confused as to which one to choose. And I fear another 7 months down the line with another technique and no result? I will give up for good.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  7:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes AYP DM is very similar to TM except for few differences.

The practice is clearly laid out and unnecessary things (Like different mantras for different people) have been removed.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  8:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Queen,

What is it you are thinking of giving up? What is it you think you will get ?

No technique is best. It's the desire to wake up that ultimately fans the spark to a flame. It will happen because it is the destiny of everyone.
You have a conception of what enlightenment, truth, nirvana or whatever you want to call it is all about and an expectation of what the journey should be and how you will feel at the destination.
Where you think you are going , what you think it should be is beyond perception. You have to willing to give up everything, starting with those expectations. This is not an easy option, it's not an easy ride, in fact it can be pretty tough when we are trying to break free of the illusion of who we think we are.

AYP meditation is a simple, straightforward way of supporting that journey. It doesn't make the journey for you it just adds a stability, a method to begin to see the illusion of self as it is. It cracks the shutters of a lightless room so you can begin to make some sense of things.

You can try and put everything back in the bag, but your inner guru is already awake, it acts independently and isn't bound by rules of pacifism and can be incredibly fierce because it ultimately knows that you are beyond birth and death, that you are invulnerable and are only dreaming. It will wake you up.

Easier to follow whatever technique you choose and follow it, be earnest. The sooner you begin pecking at the shell the quicker you get out, doing nothing really isn't an option.

Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  12:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Queen

That's the problem.. finding it hard to cultivate some inner silence :(

I have tried the breath technique - that is, focusing on the natural flow of my breath - as meditation a few times instead of the mantra. I think I have felt more relaxed during that... I am considering trying this twice a day for a while instead. But I keep hearing that Transcendental meditation (does AYP mantra meditation come under this?) is the best kind. I am overwhelmed with information, so many techniques and so many saying theirs is the best. I am so confused as to which one to choose. And I fear another 7 months down the line with another technique and no result? I will give up for good.

Hi Queen :)
When you did AYP for 7 months, could you please describe what you were doing? Could you please describe a meditation session with as much detail as possible?
For example:
When did you meditate?
How would you sit?
Was your back straight of slouched?
Would you subvocalize the mantra or 'think' or 'remember' it?
Did you rhythmically repeat the mantra, turn it into a pattern of repetition?
Did you keep your attention on the mantra, by favoring it, or did you watch the other thoughts as they appeared?
Did the thoughts gradually diminish as you meditated?
Did you ever fall asleep during meditation?
Did you ever experience a time when there were no thoughts and no mantra?
Did you ever see any lights or visions or dreams while meditating?
Did you ever get mental lapses where you come back out of it and you are disoriented, like you fell asleep, but you remained conscious?
Did you try hard or did you just treat meditation like a pleasant thing to do?
Where do you put your hands when you meditate?
Did you spend a few minutes with your eyes closed, just looking at your thoughts before starting the mantra?
Were you meditating in a quiet location?

How old are you?
Do you drink or take drugs or medications?
Are there any instances of mental illness in your family?
Have you any serious medical problems or addictions?

You don't have to answer all the questions, but it might help if you answered some or most of them so a better idea of what has transpired can be obtained..

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  12:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Queen,

It is okay to give up if that is what you feel strongly. When you feel like coming back to it at a later point of time you can

- Near
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000