AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Why practice?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RO0o

Argentina
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  4:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit RO0o's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Why do I want to realized the Self if I am already That?
Why I desperately want Self-realization?
Why the Self would be interested in any practice to realize itself?
Can the Self be lost? It shouldn't since consciousness is all that exists.
Why identify with this mind that this time wants to undertake a practice, for what?. If 'I' is also just a thought how could it be of any good that it uses other thoughts to create a process by which clear all thoughts. 'I' is still there as thought, as an object.
Is this mind tricking itself into a new process full of thoughts, which creates beautiful experiences, sometimes anxiety and frustration, other times peace, etc, but all experienced by 'I', an object.
Stopping rebirth cycle, stopping suffering, being love and peace, all those goals, that can only be of the mind, are not the same as looking for happines in material things? Just new, improved, original goals of the Ego.
If the Self is not the mind, not the body, not any object, Why should I do anything, why would I need to self realize? wouldn't it be like identifying with an object to know the subject? But the subject cannot be known by the object, so wouldn't it be in vain?
I don't know.

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  4:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  01:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am working on changing my perspective of practice. Sometimes old thoughts come up but but what can I do about that. maybe the self does not need practices, but that does not mean they would not be good for this body and mind. Physical exercise, breathing, eatign best you can, etc... make sense to do for the body. so I dedicate the practices to that. Besides we will do something with our time, makes sense to add healthy habits.
Moving forward,
Brother Neil
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  02:37:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RO0o

How do you know you are That?

It sounds like a seed is saying "Why do I want to be a Flower if I am already a Flower?"

Do you think a seed can feel the joy of being a flower just by remaining a seed?

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  08:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Since you have so many question... you need to practice... once you have no more questions... it will not matter.
Go to Top of Page

RO0o

Argentina
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  09:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit RO0o's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by manigma

quote:

It sounds like a seed is saying "Why do I want to be a Flower if I am already a Flower?"

Do you think a seed can feel the joy of being a flower just by remaining a seed?

It's what I believe, is not all this about a belief?
If I knew there will be nothing left to believe.
Go to Top of Page

RO0o

Argentina
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  09:19:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit RO0o's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

I don't know if that is the question, It would be more like If I'm not the seed nor the Flower, why would I want to engage in becoming a flower from a seed?
Go to Top of Page

RO0o

Argentina
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  09:22:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit RO0o's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

Why would I need to feel joy?
Go to Top of Page

RO0o

Argentina
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  09:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit RO0o's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Since you have so many question... you need to practice... once you have no more questions... it will not matter.

I have practiced sometime, and I'm here with all these questions. There have been moments of silence, but they are still just experiences.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  09:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

I have practiced sometime, and I'm here with all these questions. There have been moments of silence, but they are still just experiences.

...and keep practicing... then one day the stillness will no longer be an experience but the base from which all arises.
The only way to experience this is to practice twice a day, every day.
Someone once asked a guru, "is there no short cut?" and he said, "this (practices) is the shortcut."
Go to Top of Page

RO0o

Argentina
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  09:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit RO0o's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all.
I don't know if I'm really looking for an answer or just questioning the whole thing, and writing it down.
If the 'I' appears, not by its own will, how could it be destroyed by its own will?
If it can be destroyed by its own will, why the need to do it while alive? just so the ego can experience how it feels? Is it not gonna happen anyways when the ego dies, when we die, when it's time? Even if we are born again, would the ego say Ohh another reincarnation!...?

Go to Top of Page

RO0o

Argentina
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  10:06:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit RO0o's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it not enough just to believe that we are not this body, this mind, this 'I', nor anything that is perceived. When it's time, dead or alive, nothing of this will exist because there will be no 'I', no body, no thoughts, no separation.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  10:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Or, why not practice? If it's what you feel is most effective for self-realization, keep doing it. It might also become something that feels increasingly good to you, especially after your practice deepens and becomes a regular friend. And it can do a lot of good for others around you too.

For bhakti driven yogis I believe the events and the deepest perceptions and thoughts during their entire waking day (and maybe sometimes in dreaming too) are dedicated to their practice. Techniques like those offered here can be a very important aspect to one's entire practice as they will increase the depth and revelations to all of the different aspects of a yogis daily practical experience.

Knowing yourself more and more as the bliss within all beings will make the practices so very rewarding.

Edited by - Balance on Jul 30 2010 10:21:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  10:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Is it not enough just to believe that we are not this body, this mind, this 'I', nor anything that is perceived. When it's time, dead or alive, nothing of this will exist because there will be no 'I', no body, no thoughts, no separation.

Trying to understand and believe stuff like this with the mind is going to add a lot of confusion to your life. There are no answers,
there is no understanding, no belief that will satisfy the mind. There has to be an inner knowing of this. Till then they are mind games. Look at Yogani's lesson on Lesson 329 – Pitfalls of the Mind

When the knowing comes from within, from the stillness, you don't have answers, you just don't have any more questions.

Take a look at Yogani's lessons on "relational self inquiry":
http://www.aypsite.org/324.html
http://www.aypsite.org/325.html
http://www.aypsite.org/356.html
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  1:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

quote:

It's what I believe, is not all this about a belief?
If I knew there will be nothing left to believe.

Believing is not enough.

You must become !!

You should divert all your energy within and sink these questions in your own heart.

You got nothing to lose have you?
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  8:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi RO0o,

("Hope I spelled your name right ...." ) .....

quote:

Well, sure ...... IF you can manage to do that ..... by all means.

Helpful Hint, though: belief is the problem; no belief is true.

Do you believe you're a human being?

At the level of form, you'd likely say that you feel you *know*, yes?

Beliefs can always change .... and always do .... until all beliefs finally dissolve in reality.

Knowing-by-being is as actual as it gets; so is abiding non-dual awareness, aka enlightenment.

And so, hardly any "instant advaitins" manage to sustain their non-dual realizations, because even though it may be mentally understood that this (non-duality) is the case, or even though there may be very strong faith .... identification with form is much like gravity.

People have literally gone for years in expanded states, only to come crashing down when some deep-seated, unresolved form-identification memory was attached to once again, by attention.

Plus, mental knowing still allows for very volatile experiencing, because sense-of-self resides with that which can shift.

Non-duality is wholeness; shifting happens within it, but this that we each and all ever are now doesn't shift, at all --- it's utterly real, whole and solid --- "I am taintless and immovable", as Shankara wrote, speaking as Lord Shiva, as original, non-dual wholeness.

Knowing at any level other than being is a very flimsy thing.

Most who feel they can say "I Am That", and "be all non-dual and enlightened".... are usually just an argument or two with a loved one away from "crashing down" into the dream, again.

"Hence practices."

Saying "why practice" is much like a frozen piece of river asking "why melt?"

The answer is "melt and you'll know".

The very question implies the need (to practice, to melt) ... because river water doesn't ask questions; it just flows.

Only ice has questions.

And the answer is always the same:

Melt.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Jul 30 2010 8:13:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  10:39:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

Hi RO0o,

("Hope I spelled your name right ...." ) .....

quote:

Well, sure ...... IF you can manage to do that ..... by all means.

Helpful Hint, though: belief is the problem; no belief is true.

Do you believe you're a human being?

At the level of form, you'd likely say that you feel you *know*, yes?

Beliefs can always change .... and always do .... until all beliefs finally dissolve in reality.

Knowing-by-being is as actual as it gets; so is abiding non-dual awareness, aka enlightenment.

And so, hardly any "instant advaitins" manage to sustain their non-dual realizations, because even though it may be mentally understood that this (non-duality) is the case, or even though there may be very strong faith .... identification with form is much like gravity.

People have literally gone for years in expanded states, only to come crashing down when some deep-seated, unresolved form-identification memory was attached to once again, by attention.

Plus, mental knowing still allows for very volatile experiencing, because sense-of-self resides with that which can shift.

Non-duality is wholeness; shifting happens within it, but this that we each and all ever are now doesn't shift, at all --- it's utterly real, whole and solid --- "I am taintless and immovable", as Shankara wrote, speaking as Lord Shiva, as original, non-dual wholeness.

Knowing at any level other than being is a very flimsy thing.

Most who feel they can say "I Am That", and "be all non-dual and enlightened".... are usually just an argument or two with a loved one away from "crashing down" into the dream, again.

"Hence practices."

Saying "why practice" is much like a frozen piece of river asking "why melt?"

The answer is "melt and you'll know".

The very question implies the need (to practice, to melt) ... because river water doesn't ask questions; it just flows.

Only ice has questions.

And the answer is always the same:

Melt.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Beautifully put.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  8:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

Beautifully put.

Thanks, Karl!

Go to Top of Page

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  6:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No need for practice, in fact practice goes against the ultimate reality, wherein there is no practice, nor is there none practice, and one is left with a Y, like a sprout or not but that is what I percieve, like the waters, splash in them for they are rejuvenating, all who have spoken here are enlightened, and yet we are empty, only mirrors, only shrines unto Goddess, who flows, like the waters and the air
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  7:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, here at AYP they recommend practice twice a day.
It is true you don't need practice, in the sense that you will become enlightened anyway, but probably not in this lifetime.
Practice can't really be understood by talking about it, only by doing it consistently over time.
Desire for your highest ideal and devotion, or "bhakti"(click yoga faq link) is the most powerful force to help you.
Nothing wrong with searching for answers and talking, but if you want real progress, practice twice a day and keep your desire and devotion strong the rest of the day.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  11:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@RO0o

the answer to a question that should solve all your questions: do you have a choice?
Go to Top of Page

Shivoham

India
107 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  12:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shivoham's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Why I desperately want Self-realization?
Why the Self would be interested in any practice to realize itself?
Can the Self be lost? It shouldn't since consciousness is all that exists.
Why identify with this mind that this time wants to undertake a practice, for what?. If 'I' is also just a thought how could it be of any good that it uses other thoughts to create a process by which clear all thoughts. 'I' is still there as thought, as an object.
Is this mind tricking itself into a new process full of thoughts, which creates beautiful experiences, sometimes anxiety and frustration, other times peace, etc, but all experienced by 'I', an object.
Stopping rebirth cycle, stopping suffering, being love and peace, all those goals, that can only be of the mind, are not the same as looking for happines in material things? Just new, improved, original goals of the Ego.
If the Self is not the mind, not the body, not any object, Why should I do anything, why would I need to self realize? wouldn't it be like identifying with an object to know the subject? But the subject cannot be known by the object, so wouldn't it be in vain?
I don't know.

A practice or an effort towards self have always existed in your life, still existing and will go on in the future. only things different from the past efforts are that, in the past you were searching for the self unconsciously. But now you know what you are exactly searching.
Self is ultimate freedom, ultimate satisfaction, endless bliss and infinity.In the past you were searching these things in matter.Now you are searching them in the spirit which the essence of matter. You will never be able to give up the desires for these things until you attain them.
Stop if you can.
But if you can stop all the efforts, You are already reached.Then there is no question of 'why practice?' etc..
Go to Top of Page

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  1:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Its the deepest question that no one ever answered yet. Why are we here and what is this perception good for?
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  1:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Panthau

Its the deepest question that no one ever answered yet. Why are we here and what is this perception good for?

There is no "why" in reality.

There's only IS.

"Don't try to find the answer when there ain't no questions here." ~LIVE, Run To The Water.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  1:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

The answer can only come from within..... and when it is found, it will be very difficult to express it through words as it can only really be Known in the Heart. Perhaps this is why it remains unanswered

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Shivoham

India
107 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  12:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shivoham's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Many have found this answer and shared it with humanity. Only thing we need to do is prove it to ourself.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000