AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Jeff Foster - "beyond" non-duality/ advaita
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  2:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
"I am officially no longer an 'Advaita teacher' or 'Nonduality teacher' - if, indeed, I ever was one. Life cannot be put into words, and however beautiful the words of Advaita/Nonduality are, they must be discarded in the end. I could never claim to be any sort of authority on this stuff. I will continue to speak, to sing my song to those who are open to listening, but gone is the need to adhere to any tradition, to use Advaita-speak to avoid real, authentic human engagement, to pretend that I am in any way more or less special than you, to kid you that i know more than you, to play the 'teacher' by refusing to meet you in the play, to stop listening to you because i see you as 'still stuck in the dream' or 'still a person'. This message is about love, in the true sense of the word - otherwise it is simply nihilism masquerading as freedom. The 'Advaita Police' reply 'Who cares?'. I say I do. I do."

Hi Carson,

Thanks for sharing this quote, I think it is wonderfully disarming and it sounds a lot like the death of the "spiritual ego". I quoted it again here so it wouldn't get lost in the other thread, and wanted to ask if this came from a particular book?

Thanks for any help,

Anthem

Edited by - Anthem on Dec 12 2010 2:13:57 PM

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  3:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem

Hipp hurra!
I was very happy to read this quote too :)

I did some research. I don't think it is in any of his books (not yet anyway)
But he posted it as a note on his facebook page here:

To Meet in the Play

http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?i...p_2347471856
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  10:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Katrine for the info.

It is interesting how the "I" can take ownership even of spiritual "knowledge" and in words of non-duality, it seems almost contradictory. I think I've heard it said before that the "spiritual I/ me" is the last resting place for the "ego". Having spiritual knowledge to provide and help others with seems innocent enough and it is innocent even though it can also certainly be a "sticky" stopping ground for an extended period of time.

In my desire to help, I have certainly observed attachment to "providing" spiritual wisdom or help. After recognizing that there is nothing "I" can really say to help others, that each person's path is so uniquely their own, it becomes difficult to say anything at all. So more listening, immersing in others words instead.

Fortunately talking also still happens anyway and if somehow people help themselves from hearing words....miraculous
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  11:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
a non-teacher of the no-path begins to sound like a teacher of the path
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000