New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cipyar

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  11:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The thing that led me to this was a rather skewed view of Tantra (the worshiping of lust and orgasm), it felt like something might be off and from there I dug deeper and was introduced to ideas like Karezza and Gnosticism.

I'm feeling like maybe my fear is irrational, but I think it is stemming from the idea that maybe reaching or trying to reach for enlightenment by doing these practices will hurt my health. I know, I know, we should not worship the body. I don't perse, but I am a mother with a severe illness that I would like to see improve, and have suffered bouts of insomnia that have worsened my condition.

With all this energy flying around, opening chakras, and becoming constantly aware.. wouldn't the body deteriorate from lack of restorative sleep? Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing?

I'm sure I'm just being very silly, but I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance, so that I can take that green light and go with it.

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  12:39:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cipyar and welcome to the AYP forums! Happy to have you here!

quote:
I'm feeling like maybe my fear is irrational, but I think it is stemming from the idea that maybe reaching or trying to reach for enlightenment by doing these practices will hurt my health.

On the contrary....doing these practices will likely lead you towards better health. This is not a guarantee (what in life actually is), but it certainly is a likelyhood. Yoga practice could be detrimental to your health if you took an imbalanced approach to practice (practicing too much with too powerful of methods, with no regards for "pacing yourself", see this lesson here: http://www.aypsite.org/38.html), but with methodical application and proven methods chances are very very unlikely.

Hope this gives you a little assurance....1 vote for starting practices!

Love!

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jun 29 2010 12:40:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  02:05:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's wise to take care of the body while doing spiritual practices.

You are right that the hyper-alert state can be brought on by kundalini yoga type practices, and that it can be damaging to your health. Even if you are able to sleep during it, having a lot of energy going can slowly drain you. It usually means that the adrenal glands are overstimulated. That your nervous system is on constant arousal and doesn't know how to relax.

So the key is to do something truly relaxing. If you're able to relax and your adrenals are okay, then stimulating your energy is very good.

My advice is that the safest thing for anyone to do is: relaxed breathing with the concentration on the feelings in the belly (somewhere inbetween the belly button and the back). This could be the only thing you practice and it would really get you far, and healthier, if you were dedicated to it. It opens your chakras and energy in the safest way. If you're ever feeling very awake or feel a lot of energy flowing, it's good to do this. The more natural and effortless your breathing is, the better.

You can do it lying down for the best effect. If you put a pillow under your knees, to take pressure off of the spine, it helps. If you start to fall asleep, you can either prop yourself up at an angle on pillows, or sit upright. Basically it can be done all day...even while walking.

When you're done breathing, take a full breath in through your nose and laugh out loud like "hehehe" a few times. Smile big when doing it, as if something really is funny. This helps release any tension that's built up from the practice. If people are in the next room you can laugh silently out through your mouth.

Anyway, these are my suggestions. I wish the best for you, Cipyar.
Go to Top of Page

Cipyar

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  04:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
!!!! /hugs
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  3:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cipyar,

Yoga can affect the way you sleep... at times there can be less sleep and at other times more. It is all part of the purification process. AYP involves a balanced set of yoga practices designed to purify the body in a safe manner if the principles of self-pacing are applied sensibly. If insomnia becomes a problem, then you can scale back on your practice times, especially any evening practices, until you find a stable routine.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Cipyar

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  9:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I really cannot afford to get less sleep ever. My adrenal glands have been destoyed, so I have a minimum amount of prescribed sleep a night (8-9 hours to keep them from failing more).

If this is a risk to take, I cannot go forward with it.
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  09:50:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cipyar,

Welcome

AYP is a safe system mainly because of self-pacing and it's transparent open-sourced nature only helps too. My suggesstion is to follow it from the start with Deep Meditation.Your health shoud improve.I'd put money on it,as long as you followed the programme. To be honest with you i can't see how it would'nt.

Nothing to lose, and SO MUCH to gain.

My gut feelings here is that there is alot of ignorance and supersition and fear over spiritual practices especially when folk start talking about the concept of Kundalini and the like.You will find that particular concept thuroughly de-mystified for good and explained in concrete scientific terms.Others including Yogani from the 60's onwards have been doing that.

You're in a knowledgeable and experienced community here.While folk's views here may amicable diverge on occassion there probably is no better available online resource that i have found that will genuinely help and support the yogic or spiritual seeker.There's practices,a full-scope yoga system and there's a wealth of information and knowledge. Really you cannot go wrong. The only folk with energy issues were not caused by AYP but something they likely did before coming here and the chances are they were poorly informed and i agree with Carson probably using too powerful methods without any regard to or inkling whatsoever of 'self-pacing', as it's called here, at all..

Think of it this way- when we cross theroad we look both ways but we all know we would be good to do it at some point.Except here you have traffic lights and a warden to assist you over. I don't know if that analogy is a helpful useful one. I'm not aware of any negative case here because alot of folk document their journey into the spiritual field and there is data relating to all kinds of areas logged just like scientists do.

But if you want your health to improve i would loook no further.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  10:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The only folk with energy issues were not caused by AYP but something they likely did before coming here and the chances are they were poorly informed and i agree with Carson probably using too powerful methods without any regard to or inkling whatsoever of 'self-pacing', as it's called here, at all..

Well, having been one of them I highly disagree with you.

At one point I wasn't even meditating for months. How's that for self pacing? I couldn't sit cross legged without becoming ungrounded, and had to keep my hands away from the solar plexus, otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep.

AYP might have worked well for you, but it doesn't work for everyone. I've seen over the years numerous people seeking help on this forum and not getting it due to your type of attitude. You say that you don't know of anyone who had a negative experience here...did you just overlook those people, or are you new here?

"Just self pace more" is not good advice and doesn't always work. There are other systems out there which are actually safer. When it comes to those who might get hurt, you should be a little more cautious in your advice.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  10:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Scott, Cipyar and All

quote:
Originally posted by Scott

quote:
Akasha: The only folk with energy issues were not caused by AYP but something they likely did before coming here and the chances are they were poorly informed and i agree with Carson probably using too powerful methods without any regard to or inkling whatsoever of 'self-pacing', as it's called here, at all..

At one point I wasn't even meditating for months. How's that for self pacing? I couldn't sit cross legged without becoming ungrounded, and had to keep my hands away from the solar plexus, otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Hey Scott....not trying to be arguementative here so please don't take this the wrong way.....there is no "right and wrong" here, everything is experience and every experience is necessary. But I think it would be important (for clarity's sake) if you told us what you had been doing practice-wise (and for how long) before coming to the point where you couldn't even sit cross-legged etc. The experience you are describing above was the effect of something practice related (most likely). Self-pacing was likely used well after it should have been in your case. Assuming you had been practicing strictly AYP, if you had been pacing your practices according to your bodies ability to handle them, well, I can almost guarantee that this experience would not have been as traumatic or as long lasting if it even happened at all.

Cipyar....it is important to remember that there can be delayed effects of yoga practices. This is why I talked about methodical application of practices. Adding practices too quickly without allowing the body time to acclimatize can for sure cause disconcerting symptoms for those who are more sensitive energetically. With a slow, managed and methodical approach, the AYP system is incredibly safe. Probably safer then any system out there that will give results even remotely close to what AYP does.

quote:

AYP might have worked well for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.

No, AYP doesn't work for everyone. Some people do not have the ability to "pace themselves" as required.

quote:

I've seen over the years numerous people seeking help on this forum and not getting it due to your type of attitude. You say that you don't know of anyone who had a negative experience here...did you just overlook those people, or are you new here?

Everyone is in charge of their own journey at AYP. No one here can force another to moderate themselves with practices. Sure there will be people who come here and choose to ignore the warnings, who choose to charge ahead full steam with little regard for the possible consequences. Such is life with an open source system. Each one of us must be methodical in the application of knowledge ourselves. No one here is going to force someone to slow down.

Self Pacing is not a way of managing overload symptoms. Grounding practices are a bit more in that arena. Self Pacing is a PREVENTATIVE practice, not an after the fact solution. If someone chooses to ignore the self pacing principles until after they are overloaded, well yeah, they may have experiences like not being able to even sit crosslegged for months due to overload. BUT, when using the principles of self-pacing right from the beginning, long before overload shows up, there are almost never any energetic issues. There are meditation modifications for those that are sensitive to the mantra, there is advice to use nadi shodhana pranayam if SBP is too much, there are a lot of ways to temper excessive energetic symptoms. Not the least of which is self-pacing practices.

quote:

"Just self pace more" is not good advice and doesn't always work.

Self-pace BEFORE you get symptoms and the problems never really get started. As it has been said thousands of times here at AYP, "Less is More." And less is more even before symptoms show up. Self-pacing is not (as you say) the best for managing overload symptoms. It IS however great for making sure overload symptoms don't happen in the first place. Self-pacing is preventative more then anything.

It's like using jala neti everyday. It really helps to keep one from getting nasal congestion. It's NOT great to get rid of nasal congestion if it is already present, but if used as a preventative measure, it works fantastic.

quote:

There are other systems out there which are actually safer.

Sure....but they don't give the results that AYP does either. At least not in my experience. Yours may differ. We are all different.

Love!

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jun 30 2010 10:48:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  11:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cipyar

One thing that occurs to me is that, as you're concerned about possible sleep difficulties, it might be a good idea to talk to your medical practitioner and seek his/her advice on whether meditation is a good idea for you. It may help set your mind at rest. Just a suggestion - and best of luck with whatever you decide.

Much love.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  11:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson,

I don't see why anyone would try to argue with someone who is helping another person...

I'm going to ignore your whole post. You might want to rethink your approach.

There's no denying the fact that sleep patterns will change with AYP (among other things). So why would anyone in their right mind be recommending this path to someone who medically requires a minimum of 8-9 hours of sleep per night? My whole point is to help this person, not attack AYP. AYP works for some, so that's good. Just try not to ignore the casualties.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  12:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott and sorry if I upset you....that truly wasn't my intention.

quote:

I don't see why anyone would try to argue with someone who is helping another person...

I wasn't trying to argue with you, and I know you are just trying to help. I was merely trying to vocalize my perspective on self-pacing....which obviously differs from yours. Again, to each their own, there are no absolute rights or wrongs. Again sorry to have upset you.

quote:

I'm going to ignore your whole post. You might want to rethink your approach.

Sure. And sure.

quote:

There's no denying the fact that sleep patterns will change with AYP (among other things).

My sleeping patterns haven't changed. Other things certainly have changed, but that's the whole point of hopping on this "yoga train" isn't it? To change that which is causing us suffering?

quote:

So why would anyone in their right mind be recommending this path to someone who medically requires a minimum of 8-9 hours of sleep per night?

Because walking the AYP path (as prescribed) does not mean that Cipyar will not be able to get 8-9 hours. Especially if self-pacing is used as a preventative measure and not an after the fact solution to energetic overload.

quote:

My whole point is to help this person, not attack AYP.

I totally get that Scott. I wasn't trying to attack you, nor was I trying to give advice that could harm Cipyar. My intentions are as well meaning as yours....our advice just differs. We (obviously) are coming at this from different perspectives. I personally think it is great to have differing and even conflicting advice. It gives Cipyar a wider base to choose his/her course of action. Neither you nor I can tell Cipyar what they should do. Only Cipyar can choose for themself. All we can do is give advice based on our own experience, which we are both doing. No need to get upset.

quote:

AYP works for some, so that's good. Just try not to ignore the casualties.

Again, not trying to ignore anything. Just trying to give advice based on my personal experience with the AYP practices. I know you are trying to do the same. The fact that we don't agree shouldn't cause either of us any suffering.

Again, sorry for upsetting you.

Love!

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jun 30 2010 12:30:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  12:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson,

quote:
We (obviously) are coming at this from different perspectives. I personally think it is great to have differing advice and conflicting advice. It gives Cipyar a wider base to choose his/her course of action. Neither you nor I can tell Cipyar what they should do. Only Cipyar can choose for themself. All we can do is give advice based on our own experience, which we are both doing. No need to get upset.

Sounds good to me.
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  3:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with AYP.

quote:

quote:
The only folk with energy issues were not caused by AYP but something they likely did before coming here and the chances are they were poorly informed and i agree with Carson probably using too powerful methods without any regard to or inkling whatsoever of 'self-pacing', as it's called here, at all..

I am actually trying to generalise so i can give the OP some confidence in going ahead with AYP.

quote:

Pfffffttttt........I was out the game for four years because i had not one inkling of self-pacing. It really is a very simple point Scott.I genuinely am sorry but have no recently read of your experiences so i am really in the dark on that one.

quote:
AYP might have worked well for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.

I believe i made a point alike this some time in January of this year when i reaised the significan alternate breathing for imbalanced folk simmply as another tool. I stuck to my guns and continued with it seeing as it helped me depsite the onslaught of derision here. If something works for you, then that is all that matters.

But i don't see how constructive criticsing a system is;every system has weaknesses.
quote:

But I've seen over the years numerous people seeking help on this forum and not getting it due to your type of attitude.

Now this really is a ridiculous remark. I believe i've done nothing but try to caution some folk or respond to those that might have been down my road.I like Carson can only tell you and go by my own experiences.
quote:
You say that you don't know of anyone who had a negative experience here...did you just overlook those people, or are you new here?

Well you're the first and i am sorry to hear it.BY negative i mean quite a serious crash or something that will take some time to remedy. I am talking years usually.With AYP they may if they are lucky be a little quicker. Some folk have very little information or tools.
quote:

"Just self pace more" is not good advice and doesn't always work. There are other systems out there which are actually safer. When it comes to those who might get hurt, you should be a little more cautious in your advice.

Hi Scott, i don't even follow AYP but seeing as this is ayp upport forum i will give AYP advice. I believe AYP may work for most people.It's expanded my knowledge and my toolbase and i have found it incalculably profitable.

I am sorry to hear of your negative experiences.All i am doing is insipiring someone to take up spiritual practices.

I do believe AYP gives you a thorough grounding and solid education in the first principles of yogic spiritual science for self-transformation. Whether you want to stick with ayp or try something else and explore other alternative fields,systems etc out there then is entirely up to you.

I think i've been pretty respectful to most folk here so you response considering as we have veeered of the intention of the thread, as you say to repond to the OP, makes no sense at all.

I was speaking in generalitlies to someone that is unsure about dipping their toe into yogic science. There is no point in me bombarding her with specifics as that may just overwhelm someone.

Hi Scott,

I would'nt say i am fully liberated but i have learnt a great deal through AYP which i probably would have struggled to do otherwise or certainly find a physical teacher for.It depnds what you eman when you say worked. No i have'nt woken up my kundalini; for that i'm using another system and may utilise elements/some techniques and firts principles from AYP. But that is my considered choice over now quite a few years of study.

Your post to me makes no seense at all in the context of this thread. Like every other poster i was voting yes, but not without included caveats( now i'm sure she really does have her doubts).

I can see what a regular hornet's nest my presence here regularly stirs up.

Each to their own point of view and for mutual respect.

My point is a simple one;respecting self-paciing principle is the number one thing you can do to keep safe. That is just my opinion. Of course you may have another based on your own experiences.All my points and posts, at least those worth reading and haveing some crediability, are based on experiences. So i reallly don't see where you beef is with me. It really does make no sense at all.

An di am genuinely sorry about your i'm assuming wholly negative experiences with AYP. This is the first documented case i have come across. Ima not saying all yogic practices are plain sailing or that you will never encounter negative stuff. But the positives should outwiegh any negatives that may arise. Just sorry this was no your experience.
quote:

Where have i been?

I've been reading this forum more or less religiously since i joined in April,08 as this is not just some passing ephemral interest. I do actually read & listen to what people say. If folk don't like what i hav to say.Then i'm sorry I cannot do anything about that.Maybe ask yourself why you find my post so offensive.Because all iwas doing was reaching out a helping hand and offering fairly gernal advice and above all encouragement rather than discouragement.The bigggest i obstacle is tapas and discipline actually doing the practices. Many systems will deliver some more comfortably than others if the aspirant is eager and devoted enough, that is my feeling and hunch on it.

As i say apolgies if i inadvertently caused offense.The intention of the post was to encourage the OP, not make folk think i might have an 'attitude' problem.Anyone that's foolowed my posts should see fro themslevs my posts arise out of a belief that i do actually ahev something worth contribtuing and may be able to help that person.

But i'll say this Scott. I think everyone's experinces can be so wildly different.Some strart posting here about how they have woken up their K to some degree at least in 3 weeks.Whereas some struggle for years. I'm one of the latter seeing as the issues i had now a long-ish time ago. ,almost four years..I dont' know about you or your background..

But all i can do is relate from my own experinces in life.That is all all of use can ever do.
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  3:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cipyar,

I would encourage you to do AYP only if you feel so inclined.

You have to weigh up adivce like anything. I did'nt have AYP, it's toolbase & knowledge ,when i started yoga. I really could'mt comment on other's experiences obviously.This is probably why folk that first foray into the spiritual field are wise to be as informed as possible.And it'll be why they call it a journey. As everyone's is different. Different calmaties(or we may view them as lessons at some later point, i don't know) and joyful moments happen at any point along it....the path.

Life is path. That might sound realllly glib but you navigate it the best you can. aAlso i don't believe there is anything inlife that is without risks.We have risks, if we are actually living, every day.Crossing the road, getting into a car is another, walking by an angry mob etc etc.And there are no certainties; the only certainity of course is that we will eventually die at some point. I think yoga can help us coome to grips better though with the inevitability of death and the fact that nothing stays the same;things are always changing.

It's perfectly normal to be afraid about the unknown.I was at least mildly excited & curious when i found the buffet on offer here but that is just me.I certainly had nothing to lose, and indeed alot to gain from potentially i felt.

Regarding sleep insomnia;that is no fun at all.

Edited by - Akasha on Jun 30 2010 4:03:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cipyar

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  6:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I've started the last few days with just the simple meditation as outlined, twice a day. I am very nervous about the prospect of insomnia though, so I guess take it extra slow? Would you say that people who report difficulty with sleep are moving too fast, or is it inevitable?

It wasn't my intention to start an argument, I am rather hoping that these practices will not alter my rhythms, but rather improve them. Is it foolish to hope that practicing AYP will allow me to sleep longer and deeper? I have multiple reasons for wanting to embark on this journey:
1. To improve my state of physical health
2. To improve my state of mental health and
3. To find that divine spark, so to speak.

Edited by - Cipyar on Jun 30 2010 6:14:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  6:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Cipyar

Well, I've started the last few days with just the simple meditation as outlined, twice a day. I am very nervous about the prospect of insomnia though, so I guess take it extra slow? Would you say that people who report difficulty with sleep are moving too fast?

Hi Cipyar,

Welcome to the AYP forums.

Some people have trouble sleeping and some don't. You may be one of those people (like me) who can sleep better after starting meditation. I used to have a lot of problems sleeping, but after I started meditation, I sleep like a baby. So don't be afraid of this, remember you attract what you fear... or as they say... "worrying is praying for something you don't want".

Most people who have trouble sleeping can rectify this problem with
1) Not meditating close to bed time. In your case, make sure you do your second session as early as possible... even as early as 2.30p.m. is fine.
2)Skipping the second practice. Just doing the morning routine. This will be in extreme cases.

I really don't think you will have any trouble with sleep if you do your second session early enough. And if there is even a hint of problem, then just do one session.
Relax and enjoy the practice.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  7:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cipyar,

Yes, I would second that advice.

If insomnia is a troubling issue, then my suggestion or rather advice also is NOT TO meditate right before bed time. Or even avoid a second session altogether,least until things improve.Your choice.

I have'nt really suffered from clinical sleep insomnia as such, although i know how disturbing insomnia can be,but half the time meditating right before bed kept me awake whenever i did so.I quickly learned to not do so.It was just a rule i had and it was indeed confirmed somwhere in the lessons.Because meditation sessions often gave me an energetic charge( though sometimes a sedative effect too) you see....so not so useful at bed-time.

Yogani described it,the explanation for this, as possibly having something to do with karma(interfernce) & cycles.Indeed there was a thread a while back that glossed over this.

Enjoy!

Edited by - Akasha on Jun 30 2010 7:44:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  8:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

You say that you don't know of anyone who had a negative experience here...did you just overlook those people, or are you new here?

Hey Scott,

I'm genuinely sorry that you had a bad experience with AYP, and hopefully nobody on the forum is intentionally ignoring any "casualties".

If you feel comfortable with it I'd really be interested in hearing your story (or if its laid out in another thread maybe a link to it), what worked for you, what didn't, what gave you the most difficulty, is there anything you would have approached differently in hindsight, where there any practices you did before starting AYP etc.

I think knowing where people encountered difficulties is the only way for the rest of us to see some of the pitfalls ahead of time and hopefully learn from them and make the process and our own paths smoother.

Any insight would be appreciated

Peace and Love

Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  8:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Parallax,

I don't feel comfortable sharing a negative AYP experience on the AYP forums. Enough has been said by me that I consider helpful to others. If anyone wants to talk more you can always private message me. Peace to all.
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  9:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cipyar and Welcome!!

One of the books that I found helpful related to adrenal fatigue was Spent by Frank Lipman, M.D. His focus is on helping to rest, detoxify, repair, replenish and restore the body through an integrated approach involving sleep, diet, exercise, nutrition, relaxation and yes...you guessed it...meditation. I've found the book to be very helpful, maybe there is some information in there that would be helpful for you as well.

If you choose to follow the AYP approach, great advice from Shanti and the others...and Scott's techniques sound very gentle, relaxing and rejuvinating as well. I don't think that your situation is incompatible with AYP. Doing 15 minutes of deep meditation alone 2x per day is still very much AYP, as would be 1 or 2 breath meditation sessions per day if you find that you are sensitive to the mantra....self pacing at the first sign of any discomfort.

Much Love to You

ps there is a weekly healing samyama list here at AYP if you have interest in having some healing energy sent your way

Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  9:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Scott,

I completely understand...no worries

Go to Top of Page

Cipyar

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  02:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Parallax

Much Love to You

ps there is a weekly healing samyama list here at AYP if you have interest in having some healing energy sent your way

I have a host of problems, including infections, so that would be wonderful.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  08:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Cipyar

quote:
Originally posted by Parallax

Much Love to You

I have a host of problems, including infections, so that would be wonderful.

Hi Cipyar,
Will gladly add you to the list.
You can read up a bit more about this here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=5233

Can you tell me if you'd like to be added as an emergency, in which case I will add you to this Sunday along with the regular recipient, or I can add you to the list and you will be up for healing on July 24th.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Cipyar

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  6:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh no, no need for me to be an emergency. July 24th sounds great, I really appreciate the thought.
Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  02:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Cipyar,
I am fairly new to AYP, around about 8 months but I must confess I did have some trouble with spinal breathing and found it difficult to sleep when first beginning, I had also had a few years experience doing meditation practices as taught by Paramahansa Yogananda with no such difficulties, there are other meditation styles out there such as Vipassana that are very gentle indeed so it's worth exploring your options to discover what really suits you and what you want from the practice. For this reason I don't always recommend AYP, that being said for the mature practitioner AYP's fruits are endless and I have never felt healthier and more in control of my life then right now.

blessings and best of luck to you
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000