New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  5:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gumpi

hi Balance,

what you describe is identical in every respect to what happened to me.

When you say it doesn't get translated into "words" i think what you mean is that you ignore the delusions or hallcinations because you have realised that you are actually only you in your head and not outside it.

This is tricky though, because feeling your consciousness a part of the entire universe is probably a spiritual thing and not mentally ill at all, it is just that the ego is interfering maybe with fear, and perception is incorrect somehow. Indeed, it is a spiritual feeling to feel oneness with everything. It is easy to see how this can be interpreted in the wrong way, especially by the rational mind.

I do actually believe that thoughts or consciousness is independent from the body and brain and so something like telepathy is occurring all the time. It might be largely unconscious data processing as opposed to conscious telepathy, but i still find the old model of everything vibrating as energy a plausible explanation for how thoughts can penetrate matter. Even psychologists now are finding that the unconscious mind seems to know things in advance of the things appearing in consciousness or subconscious intuitive processing, not to speak of the potentials this has for psychic intuition as a theory.

So, that is the englihtened side of it. The sad side is mixing that feeling of oneness with the conscious personality as if your own ego is special and takes the place of God. Some things jolt you out of this kind of lazy complacent thought, at least they did for me - for example, in the Bhagavad Gita Krishna speaking on behalf of Godhead says that he remembers everything ever, while Arjuna, who is human, doesn't. Hence since my ego was created outside of my developed intellect an mind at a time beforehand when "i" wasn't even there and don't remember it, it is a safe bet to conclude that "i" cannot possibly be God.

I really feel this is an important issue because it demonstrates the trap people fall into when they confuse their personality with God. On the one hand, it is a spiritual experience, and on the other hand it is a mental illness. They say the atman is of the same spiritual essence as spirit and hence there is no difference between them, but this idea is patently false when you look around the world, when you see other people. Duality and infinity - never the twain shall they meet, no matter how much you believe either YOU are God or some other GURU is.

Hi Gumpi

I figure everything is spiritual. In my estimation how could everything not be a spiritual experience. But I tend to not separate things.

Labels of insanity and etc. are convenient boxes for society to put things comfortably in their place. I guess the labels are good when it comes to prescribing medicine and therapy and placing an individual in a program that is meant to help.

I think I've read that some shamanistic cultures viewed tendencies of schizophrenia as a sign of a potential shaman. There seems to be a sensitivity and ability to see beyond the norm. Maybe our modern society doesn't have much use for those kinds of perceptions.

My schizophrenic division within may have had something to do with experiencing oneness with all and at the same time growing up in a world that requires an ego identification (self-perception based on thoughts/beliefs) to be built in order to interact with other ego identifications. In my view our society values more the individual, divided or separated self, living privately in a body with a personality amongst other separate persons. This view does seem to be favored as is evident all around us. Anything is measured to fit into this 'normal' box and weighed and judged according to that box and valued as acceptable within those 'healthy' parameters, or it is deemed broken or disfunctional. Who knows what valuable contributions may be overlooked in the life experience of a schizophrenic with this current way of thinking? Maybe conditions like schizophrenia will be looked at and dealt with differently in the not so distant future. If I would have been able to share openly when I was going through these things without fear of being labeled or shunned (more than I already was because of my obvious quirkiness) then I may have bypassed much suffering. On the other hand, if I opened up anyway I might have gotten some social support instead of wallowing through misery and dead end jobs, depression and drug abuse. But that is that and I am here now. In fact there never is not being here now, just overlays of confusion I think.

My experience is now much different. I no longer think I am the sole potential savior of the world, or the one and only antichrist. Seeing through that after many years of misery is a blessing.

Everything and everyone is the manifestation of the absolute. And even the confusion apparently is a manifestation of God. I can't see it any other way.

Edited by - Balance on Sep 09 2009 8:46:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  8:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
O.K., I think I'm done editing the silly thing!
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  06:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gumpi

I was diagnosed with a nervous disorder to begin with but over time my psychiatrist seemed to think it was schizophrenia. So i don't quite know how to answer your question about this term being used loosely.

In fact, i bought Ian Rowland's book of cold reading a couple of weeks ago. He goes into psychic reading techniques extensively. Now i am not saying psychic things don't happen but 7 years ago i became somewhat addicted to having readings. I must have spent about £3000 on them. And i can tell you that out of ALL of the psychics i saw, not one of them told me anything extraordinary. It was all guess work and shifty questioning. At the time i wanted to believe in them and at first i was very gullible, only noticing so-called "hits" but over time it became obvious to me that they were all doing the same or similar things. Rowland says that whenever a psychic reader begins their reading they usually ask if you have had another reading before. The reason they do this is because they don't want to trip up in THEIR reading in case they say something that contradicts what another psychic has said.

No, i am firmly convinced that it is a totally healthy thing to know your thoughts are in your own head. I don't put much faith in the idea or yogic idea that our minds are like receivers. Sorry.

I am soooo going to remember this and mention it to people who want to go have readings. 3000 pounds and not one bi of info that are anything other than basic guess work and loose talk. HAHA.

Congratulations on getting out of your schizophrenia. Well done. Since you have had such a difficult mental problem there are a couple of things I would suggest to add in addition to ayp because they are very good for mental stability and health. The six healing sounds and the inner smile both have profound psychologicly balancing and strenghtening effects. I highly recomend you do them. A few ayp people do them in addition to ayp.
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  1:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh and I realy think grounding is essential for you. There is always the risk of too much energy going to the head when one meditates and that can be very mentaly destabilizing. Bringing the energy down usualy solves the issues. Yogani does tai chi on the side, it is very graounding. Doing the qigong posture embracing the tree and visualizing roots down into the earth also helps a lot.
Go to Top of Page

kingseeker

Uruguay
6 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  06:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit kingseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey there
same happened to me when i received shaktipat, many years ago!! o thought , radio and tv were sendimg me messagees subliminal, that people could read my thoughts,i was totally paranoid and schtisophrenic, i started chanting om namah shivayah, 24/7 hhe it was my las hope, i thought about suicide but ..... anyway 6 months after that my kundaliny just exploted, i was in samadhi for the next 3 moths hhee could not come down!!! my mental illness was gone, it has now been more than 28 years... and like paul simon said "still crazy after all these years" but in a good way now
peace enjoy, and meditate love seeker
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  12:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good one Kingseeker,
Yes, crazy is not always bad. It is common for most people to think mentally ill people have something bad and wrong with them, and "normal" people are good. But that is not the case at all.

Everyone has something about them that would be called crazy if people knew about it. But they usually hide it, and they can interact with other people just fine. Some people don't hide their crazy parts, and they become famous and are known as "artistic" or "creative".

It is only when people have trouble living a normal life that they are truly mentally ill. And often those people just need help from others in certain areas to live a normal life.
Go to Top of Page

FlipAsso

Portugal
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  3:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit FlipAsso's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there.
I've also been diagnosed with schizophrenia.
At first I only had those thought broadcasting eppisodes and only when I smoked pot, later about a year or so after I stopped smoking pot, I started having major delusions, JUST like the ones described by Balance.
I've been medicated for 4 years now, and i'm doing fine. The only symptom/side-effect I have now is lazyness. But that is a major theme in my life, so..
I was wondering, what did you guys do to improve your condition?
did you take meds?
Did you change something about your lives?
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  6:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Flip, I didn't and don't have schizophrenia, but I have something which resembles OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) but just with the thoughts not behaviour, where intruding thoughts and images and scenes come into my mind sometimes like out of nowhere and create a lot of fear (maybe it might be close to the thoughts of scizophrenia...) Well What I did for a long time was try to replace these thoughts with what I thought were loving thoughts and images.. It did not help, what that did was to create more conditioning and fear of this condition. What DID and DOES help was/is to do meditation and yoga daily, so that slowly love and acceptance is rising. Is helps a lot, Love and Acceptance is the key to all mind problems. Loving Acceptance.

Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  9:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yonatan

Love and Acceptance is the key to all mind problems. Loving Acceptance.

I like THAT...

Thanks Yonatan!
Go to Top of Page

FlipAsso

Portugal
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  12:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit FlipAsso's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thx Yonatan.
Although I think schizophrenia and OCD are pretty different, in expression. My personal beliefs about this say the same thing.. Loving acceptance.

I believe for a long time that yoga and meditation can help me a lot, and that once I accept the less pleasant colors of myself, I will be free from this condition.
I've read somewhere, from a psychiatrist, that these diseases have as a nuclei a lack of self-worth, so it makes perfect sense what you say.
Anyhow, it's not about getting rid of what you can't, it's about learning to live happily with it.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  7:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  10:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think we're all mildly scizophrenic.

Perhaps R.D.Laing 1, 2(anti-psychiatrist) may have said something similar along those lines.Though he may have questioned whether it even existed beyond being a label devised by oppressive societal institutions (intended to curtail the liberties & freedom of those individuals deemed ,by the powers that be,as misfits of one kind or another)

Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  12:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Akasha

Haha!

Yes, it's called ego
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  10:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic

quote:
Originally posted by Akasha

Haha!

Yes, it's called ego

Okay,clearly "scizophrenics" don't have more/bigger ego(s) than non-scizophrenics, that is if we take these terms to share some common ground..Then perhaps it's just that "scizoprhenics", perhaps they are just more aware of their ego/egos,than say the average person....:')

Edited by - Akasha on Oct 24 2009 11:16:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  3:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by FlipAsso

Hi there.
I've also been diagnosed with schizophrenia.
At first I only had those thought broadcasting eppisodes and only when I smoked pot, later about a year or so after I stopped smoking pot, I started having major delusions, JUST like the ones described by Balance.
I've been medicated for 4 years now, and i'm doing fine. The only symptom/side-effect I have now is lazyness. But that is a major theme in my life, so..
I was wondering, what did you guys do to improve your condition?
did you take meds?
Did you change something about your lives?

Hi FlipAsso, sorry I didn't respond earlier. I should say, because I don't think I said before, that I was never diagnosed to have a schizophrenic condition by anyone. My diagnosis was my own. Also I self-diagnosed OCD which was confirmed by a psychiatrist much later after he briefly interviewed me before prescribing zoloft (seretonin uptake inhibitor). I only took the drug for a year which offered some amount of help for the OCD and the accompanying depression as well as a potentially suicidal/homicidal guzzling habit of 190 proof everclear alcohol. After the year of zoloft I went back to street drugs. I never shared with the psychiatrist the borderline schizophrenia I thought I suffered. Thinking I was Jesus/Lucifer was a bit too personal of a thing for me to share. I was afraid they'd think I was crazy, LOL! I can't say what got me better, certainly for me it wasn't any drug that ended up making me "better". The grace of God I suppose, my karmic path, kundalini yoga and meditation, got tired of being depressed, finally saw through the confusion, etc. All of these and more could apply. Finding my own evolving self-inquiry is a biggie, along with dropping all beliefs in anything other than what is appearing here now, which can include beliefs but my self-perception is not dictated by them. And I will add I'm still crazy! Ha ha ha. But I think we all are nuts anyway. Good luck and have fun with your investigation into your self.

P.S. As long as the medication helps you and you and your doctor are good with that and then continue it. And I would advise this for anyone. Everyone has their own way.

Edited by - Balance on Oct 24 2009 5:00:28 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000