New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  09:48:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I feel so happy. I realised exactly what my problem was. I don't know if it applies to all people with psychosis but i suspect it does. The thing about me was that i had believed my thoughts were being broadcast everywhere constantly. That was all it was. I changed my thoughts about that and now i am ok. My thoughts are just inside my head like they used to be. I know this works - i can feel it. My consciousness is immediately different to how it used to be. I was walking around in a kind of daze but now i am percieving things properly.

This doesn't relate to yoga probably but some people here might be able to relate to it. It is linked to synchronicity and the expansion of consciousness. A kind of grown up solipsism ensured with me. Don't believe in this. Know very thoroughly that your thoughts are in your own head.

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  12:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Food for thought Gumpi but too simple in my opinion. Perhaps we have choice and a certain privacy in our thoughts as well as the ability to broadcast on non physical levels. Perhaps a schizophrenic has lost that ability of choosing or perhaps doean't know that it exists. It seems more of a continuum to me. I am not ready to disregard synchronicity as it has come up many many times in my own life but I am not ready to come to any conclusions yest of solipsism or any other conclusions. Personaly my life tends to feel that i am on teh right track when the synchronicities are frequent and I miss them when they are not.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  12:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gumpi said:
The thing about me was that i had believed my thoughts were being broadcast everywhere constantly. That was all it was.

Gumpi, if you believed or sensed that your thoughts were being broadcast everywhere constantly, and no longer do, I'd say that is a good thing. I wouldn't conclude at this point though that the underlying condition has been cured completely. Schizophrenia can come in 'episodes' -- and occasions of improvement are not generally to be considered an outright cure. So, I'd say just take it as it comes, always doing what is best for you. Continue following medical advice.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  1:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
www.biologyofkundalini.com

thought you might be interested.
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  5:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gumpi

The thing about me was that i had believed my thoughts were being broadcast everywhere constantly...Know very thoroughly that your thoughts are in your own head.

Well in my case it is the other way around. I used to think my thoughts are in my own head all my life until about a month ago I went to see an energy healer. After just looking at me he was able to say everything about my physical condition, like what minor ailments I get sometimes like eye tension and suchlike and which are my weak points etc. And here comes the shocker: he told me very casually that he can see an emotional problem about a former relationship. Something like that: yeah this relationship started X years ago but you have a problem for the last Y years. There is absolutely no way, no chance at all for him to have found out this information any 'regular' way because basically noone knows it (or at least I thought so). Now I think that what we think or something is accessible for people with certain sensitivity level.

In brief Gumpi you might not have been schizophrenic to begin with but glad you are feeling better anyway.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  6:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

This is also well worth the read:

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag...reading.html

Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  6:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations Gumpi on your realization, glad to hear you are feeling better!
quote:
This doesn't relate to yoga probably but some people here might be able to relate to it. It is linked to synchronicity and the expansion of consciousness.

On the contrary, I think the way our thoughts affect our consciousness is at the very root of yoga.

all the best,

A
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  6:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony, I think that link is what Yogani is talking about when he refers to "looking under the hood."

This lady has done alot of thinking and studying.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  7:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogibear

This lady has done alot of thinking and studying.

You are right YB... and if you are interested.. she has shared her thoughts with us at the forum in the thread.. The Secret
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  8:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti. I will check it out.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  9:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
well, still worth a read, specially about the correlation of active kundalini and schizophrenia
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  10:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi,
Good for you: you're at one of those 'Voila' points of yoga, I'd say. It may be just more stillness, more calming of too many simultaneous thoughts.

You may have been in an extreme situation wrt your thoughts. Otherwise, as Lilli points out, lots of people catch the same thoughts, sometimes even if they are in someone else's head. And it doesn't make any difference to our functioning in daily life... where the thoughts are coming from.

As per yoga, thoughts originate from outside your head, not inside. Each of us is like a transmitter that catches thoughts of a certain frequency or wavelength. But this is only what I have read and heard, not experienced for sure. I def'ly feel all the thoughts coming from my own head.

BTW, is the schizophrenia diagnosed by docs, or is it that you're using this term loosely: that you felt you were schizophrenic in this aspect?
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  11:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, and feel if one observes closely they will notice a connection between their mind activity and that of others, without the normal cues of communication.

A couple's breathing pattern will fall into rhythm automatically at night when sleeping, and if the breath is connecting so is the prana or life force. Who knows what is transmitted between two body's via the medium of an electromagnetic field.

The brain can see through the sense of its tongue with the proper equipment, so it would make sense it can crunch numbers that come from a number of sources beyond the conscious mind's detection. If a tooth filling can pick up radio, god knows what the brain can do.

I think many people are psychically connected to different things. Some people are emotionally connected to their children, while others have a brain that is tuned into a large sphere of collective creativity, and they are 'on the pulse' so to speak of a certain subject. Obviously, I think all of us are psychically connected to something as well, something that has lead us to where we all are here right now.

The mind might be picking up a weird noise in certain situations, with no information collected that can be comprehended. Just an interference of one's energy, that is measurably affecting one's day or even large period of life.

We always ask 'who am I', though. This is the question that gets everyone into unclear waters at times, whether their disposition is of schizophrenia, depression, or whatever.

As someone who has always had a busy mind, one that once kept me of for two days at a time all the time, I think schizophrenia is an interesting and poorly understood experience. The mind is a magic wand, and it uses its diverse collection of resources to cocoon the soul in a mystery of self. Perhaps a person with schizophrenic experiences has a unique arrangement of mental dispositions. Makes the magic trip all the more engaging.

Edited by - Kyman on Jun 21 2007 11:56:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  11:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No disagreement, Anthony.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  11:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was diagnosed with a nervous disorder to begin with but over time my psychiatrist seemed to think it was schizophrenia. So i don't quite know how to answer your question about this term being used loosely.

In fact, i bought Ian Rowland's book of cold reading a couple of weeks ago. He goes into psychic reading techniques extensively. Now i am not saying psychic things don't happen but 7 years ago i became somewhat addicted to having readings. I must have spent about £3000 on them. And i can tell you that out of ALL of the psychics i saw, not one of them told me anything extraordinary. It was all guess work and shifty questioning. At the time i wanted to believe in them and at first i was very gullible, only noticing so-called "hits" but over time it became obvious to me that they were all doing the same or similar things. Rowland says that whenever a psychic reader begins their reading they usually ask if you have had another reading before. The reason they do this is because they don't want to trip up in THEIR reading in case they say something that contradicts what another psychic has said.

No, i am firmly convinced that it is a totally healthy thing to know your thoughts are in your own head. I don't put much faith in the idea or yogic idea that our minds are like receivers. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  12:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi, congratulations on your realization. Hope you have many more that lead you to the goal. Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  12:10:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We receive things in all sorts of ways that is not accepted by science. There is the totally deaf girl who plays the drums. She "feels" music in different parts of her body. There was a totally blind high school kid on the ellen show who plays video games, surfs the internet, and plays basketball! He says "I'm not blind; I just can't see."

i've been to three different psychic readers who could definitely see things in my mind and body. And several of the type you talk about also. You can tell.
All three who were very good charged very little money, didn't advertise, didn't make any special claims or promises. One only claimed to be a "nutritionist"! But she could feel my aura with her hands and tell what was going on inside my body.
Go to Top of Page

Mr.Krikkit

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  11:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr.Krikkit's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to share on this post although i am posting a bit late,

I am not diagnosed with anything but i did have kundalini expierence,
While doing yoga i feel great anxiety with shivering breath etc.

So while doing at home breathing and following the breath to the stomache through this anxiety i suddenly felt this major ''gong'' on my concious and perception was crystal clear, it felt like the two halves of my being merged, following to that i also saw the lie of childhood, the need for seperation from my mother etc. Saddly this was effect was quickly lost but the clear mind and being able to percieve crystal clear and feeling ''normal'' was very nice.

I am doing the nasal breathing thing alot, i hope this will bring my feeling part into the game more.

I read that schizoprenia isnt as much as a separeted brain but more of seperation betweeting feeling and mind etc. wich is in all human beings but in schizoprenia its very much.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  4:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
no, schizophrenia has nothing to do with a diparity between feelings and thoughts. That is what psychopaths are.

Schizophrenia is where the mind splits like a fractured glass. It is a disruption between the outside and inside with delusions and hallucinations in place of a definite sense of self. That was my experience anyway.

It is not enlightenment, although it seems somewhat synonymous. Then again, i don't believe in englightenment.

And there again, there are different levels of psychosis or schizphrenia. It is not a black or white thing.

Madness is akin to genius. Or so they say. I would hate to be normal.

Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  4:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to believe that my thoughts were projected and anyone at all could tune in. Sometimes I would think that everyone was listening but slyly and expertly making it appear that they were not able to. I also thought that I was the only person who was not aware of some fundamental truth about life and everyone else was enlightened and just waiting for me to understand. And there was the belief that when I became enlightened then everything would come together for the planet and we would enter paradise. Then on the other hand I would have extreme discomfort in believing something quite opposite, that I was responsible for all of the ills of the world and I was keeping everyone and everything back from entering paradise. So, everyone could hear my thoughts and I was either the (potential) savior or the "antichrist". It was a horrible burden and caused me great depression, anxiety and confusion and other extreme feelings. This was all so long ago, way back in my teens and twenties. I finally somehow was able to see through it all, but only after a life of misery and complication which was also exacerbated by obsessive compulsive disorder and self-medication with drugs and alcohol. Now I just accept that all of it and none of it is true (ha ha ha ha, gotta make light of it).

P.S. I'm glad you are seeing through the schizophrenia Gumpi.

Edited by - Balance on Sep 08 2009 4:40:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  6:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that's heavy stuff balance.
Actually some of it is partially true sometimes, and I think mentally ill people often just become very sensitive.
For instance, we do broadcast our feelings, not so much thoughts. It is normal and good for people to read your feelings, and psychic people can sometimes read your thoughts too. I've known some to say you have to give permission.
Gumpi you say you don't believe in enlightenment but have experienced something wonderful that seems like it to you. I think that is what enlightenment is about. Of course you can't believe it is one, static, state that ends it all. Enlightenment is a misnomer, some people call it "enlightening" or "the path of enlightenment".
What it is about is the kind of thing you have experienced. And there is more, each time changing everything. The funny thing is they are different for everyone, so you can't say "If you haven't experienced this one thing, then i am ahead of you."
Each person unravels differently, but it's a great path!
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  7:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Wow that's heavy stuff balance.
Actually some of it is partially true sometimes, and I think mentally ill people often just become very sensitive.
For instance, we do broadcast our feelings, not so much thoughts. It is normal and good for people to read your feelings, and psychic people can sometimes read your thoughts too. I've known some to say you have to give permission.

Yes, crazy stuff, huh? The hardest thing for the individual life experience is that I never got it together. I now find myself middle-aged, raising my youngest kid and have no career besides semi-skilled labor to fall back on. And that's just part of it. It was really difficult to just be in the world, but I was here enough to fake it so to speak and bungle my way through. Anyway, it's all a dream. What's appearing here and now is all that there is and that is absolute impermanence. There is nothing to hang on to. As for understanding truth of being there is growing realization.

What you say about feelings is true. My experience with all of that was actually one of great sensitivity. All is energy, and I was aware energetically that energy is a real exchange. So it was probably just a misunderstanding where I believed the thought energy patterns were exposed and read as words. Or something like that perhaps.

Just thought my experience fit in this thread. Thanks Gumpi.

Edited by - Balance on Sep 08 2009 7:48:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  7:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would be quite easy to think so.
Your thoughts create feelings. Feelings are easily read.
It's a good thing though. I grew up thinking I should hide my feelings. now I believe just the opposite. This is so much easier, and people like you, and you can communicate with them.
I grew up with many misconceptions about life that made it hard for me to cope with society. Those are straightened out now, but like you, I didn't live a normal life because of that.
But all of that turned me into a unique person, and i may not have been on this path of meditation had it not been for all my problems. So I can't say it was a bad thing.
Yes, I did a lot of faking it and bungling like you. I was lucky enough to develop a good career though, but without a wife or kids.
Part of my difficulty was passed on by parents who undoubtedly were passing on what they received. But part of it was a sensitivity and honesty that was inherent in me and I didn't understand people who were insensitive and dishonest. Now maturity has taught me that dishonesty and insensitivity are often acting tools that are valuable for communication. They allow us to deal with people of radically different cultures, upbringing, and morals. You have to talk differently to a street criminal than you would to a saint.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  8:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Our karmic path is not always easy to deal with. We all have our difficulties.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  12:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Balance,

what you describe is identical in every respect to what happened to me.

When you say it doesn't get translated into "words" i think what you mean is that you ignore the delusions or hallcinations because you have realised that you are actually only you in your head and not outside it.

This is tricky though, because feeling your consciousness a part of the entire universe is probably a spiritual thing and not mentally ill at all, it is just that the ego is interfering maybe with fear, and perception is incorrect somehow. Indeed, it is a spiritual feeling to feel oneness with everything. It is easy to see how this can be interpreted in the wrong way, especially by the rational mind.

I do actually believe that thoughts or consciousness is independent from the body and brain and so something like telepathy is occurring all the time. It might be largely unconscious data processing as opposed to conscious telepathy, but i still find the old model of everything vibrating as energy a plausible explanation for how thoughts can penetrate matter. Even psychologists now are finding that the unconscious mind seems to know things in advance of the things appearing in consciousness or subconscious intuitive processing, not to speak of the potentials this has for psychic intuition as a theory.

So, that is the englihtened side of it. The sad side is mixing that feeling of oneness with the conscious personality as if your own ego is special and takes the place of God. Some things jolt you out of this kind of lazy complacent thought, at least they did for me - for example, in the Bhagavad Gita Krishna speaking on behalf of Godhead says that he remembers everything ever, while Arjuna, who is human, doesn't. Hence since my ego was created outside of my developed intellect an mind at a time beforehand when "i" wasn't even there and don't remember it, it is a safe bet to conclude that "i" cannot possibly be God.

I really feel this is an important issue because it demonstrates the trap people fall into when they confuse their personality with God. On the one hand, it is a spiritual experience, and on the other hand it is a mental illness. They say the atman is of the same spiritual essence as spirit and hence there is no difference between them, but this idea is patently false when you look around the world, when you see other people. Duality and infinity - never the twain shall they meet, no matter how much you believe either YOU are God or some other GURU is.
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  3:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gumpi, I'm concerned about you. I know how hard it is to deal with mental health and the metaphysical. Forget about all this consciousness/enlightenment stuff and make efforts toward your stability and well-being. It is more than enough to keep a general sense of love for all beings and delight in the well-being of others. The simple practice of love yourself and others equally is the basic main practice of every religion.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000