The Meaning of Sutras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  12:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been practicing samyama everyday day now for about four years, and I wanted to share how the particular sutras have become more meaningful and manifest in my life.

---
Love:
There is a recurring warmth in my heart that is persistently flowing throughout daily activity. I work a 40-hour-per-week job at a non-profit medical organization, and I talk to nurses on the phone for a large part of my shift. These nurses are in volatile units at the hospital (ER, ICU, CCU, etc.), and I have found so much love when talking to them. There is this deep compassion and understanding that is felt in our exchanges. It is both intoxicating and liberating.

I seem to fall in love in a more universal sense, more than I ever did before starting practices. I notice the beauty in people who I might have deemed "ugly" prior to beginning samyama. This universal love is so addictive, that I know that I will have to keep surrendering to it.

Radiance:
The inner light that shines forth from people's eyes has become remarkably apparent. A brief glance can evoke a swell of joy within me. The radiance of the sun upon all of nature is far more appreciated, as is the luminescence of the moon. Last night I drove to a remote park in Florida and gazed at the moon and stars in solitude. When I returned to my apartment, I had a very cheerful discussion with my brother, and the radiance had clearly contributed.

Unity:
The interconnectedness of life is so important, and since dropping this sutra in silence for several years now, I communicate with more people than ever before (online, in person, and beyond). I have been to 4 AYP retreats now, and I keep in contact with AYP practitioners around the nation and world.

Health:
I quit abusing my body with drugs and alcohol upon taking up AYP practices. This sutra has only reinforced the natural compulsion to keep my body healthy. I'm more conscious of what I eat (I've amped up the consumption of fruit and vegetables, and diminished the intake of fast food). I exercise with friends (tennis, frisbee, running, walking, dancing to music), and the thought-feeling of HEALTH is more alive than ever.

Strength:
This is not so much a muscular strength as it is a strength of character. I have now held a job the longest I have prior to beginning samyama. My performance at work is reliable and dependable, and to me that is proof that strength is growing and flourishing within me. Most importantly, it helps me lift up others, which is the ultimate example of a strong spirit.

Abundance:
I have access to an abundance of energy and capabilities. Creatively, I probably wouldn't be doing so well if it were not for this sutra. For instance, I am now memorizing Walt Whitman's Song of Myself, which is a massive poem of over 15,000 words (divided into 52 parts). I am memorizing it so I can perform it at local poetry readings, as well as record an audio file for anyone who might care to listen. This abundance of mental capacity and creative flow is incredibly encouraging and, again, addictive in the best possible way.

Wisdom:
There is more of automatic surrender to intuition, and an inner guidance to follow desires that are leading to enlightenment. Much of this takes form in adhering to yamas and niyamas. Wisdom is highly valued, especially since I am starting AYP Tampa and forming a local community devoted to daily practice. I will need as much wisdom as I can collect, and this sutra ensures that I will not be lacking.

Inner Sensuality:
Definitely one of my favorite sutras, this one has sharpened all of my five senses, both internally and externally. I take such pleasure in the smallest details of life. A barefoot walk in the grass with a touching of trees and plants affirms the inner sensuality that is constantly being cultivated and refined within me. The nuances of the human body mesmerize me, both in the physical and emotional textures. The divine feminine (within and without) has exemplified inner sensuality most of all.

Akasha - Lightness of Air:
Though I have not levitated YET (), I have a spring in my step that often feels as if I am floating through the air. I live on the the third story of an apartment complex, and with pogo-like legs, I love bouncing up and down. Lightness of air helps me see how all these seemingly solid figures are just composite particles dancing on a vast field of emptiness/fullness.

---

Anyone else care to jump in and describe how the sutras have become more meaningful and manifest in their life?

Edited by - Bodhi Tree on Oct 02 2015 12:16:37 PM

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  2:07:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes when I know someone has health or strength issues, I will picture them but a moment as the sutra is released. In this way the sutra is a prayer, and whatever is sent forth, perhaps it will bear fruit; it does for me anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  01:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That makes sense, Dogboy. Though we are letting go of our expectations and desires into stillness, we are still utilizing specific intentions in the pre-release phase of the technique. Personal will meets divine will. Magic.

Thank you for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

LordBuzzKill

Canada
171 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  03:46:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds nice BT. How long have you been practicing AYP for?
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  04:13:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Reading your inspiring post, I realize myself that it is not only these sutra's, used in samyama. Life became so much more meaningful, and the realization of that became more clear by practicing samyama.

After DM with mantra, starting samyama gives me these day's directly a feeling of space, freedom. The taste of words, not in mind but beyond, they radiate from different parts of the body.

I use samyama also sometimes like Dogboy, loved ones with difficult times, I picture them smiling, happy and let go in stillness.

For me samyama is the unity between inner (stillness) and outer life. It makes me also more and more conscious of every word used ( in my own language).
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  08:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bodhi,

the inspirational post. I've heard the term "let it go" ever since I can remember. I just could not. How was I supposed to let go of all the pain, desires? Samyama taught me how. Release tensions, desires, emotions in the ocean of silence. It has become effortless.

There is intense purification going on for two days.The mind is quiet, however the body is tensed. It's nice not to get sucked in with the purification. I give the credit to Samyama and Yogani for sharing the knowledge.

Edited by - sunyata on Oct 03 2015 08:55:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  9:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LordBuzzKill

Sounds nice BT. How long have you been practicing AYP for?

5 years.

quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

For me samyama is the unity between inner (stillness) and outer life. It makes me also more and more conscious of every word used ( in my own language).

That's awesome. For me, it also gives more power to language. Thank you for pointing that out.

quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

I've heard the term "let it go" ever since I can remember. I just could not. How was I supposed to let go of all the pain, desires? Samyama taught me how. Release tensions, desires, emotions in the ocean of silence. It has become effortless.

There is intense purification going on for two days.The mind is quiet, however the body is tensed. It's nice not to get sucked in with the purification. I give the credit to Samyama and Yogani for sharing the knowledge.

It's much easier to let something go when we're allowed to pick it up again, isn't it? The option to repeat sutras as desired is the perfect complement to the letting go.

Hope your purification stays smooth, Sunyata.
Go to Top of Page

LordBuzzKill

Canada
171 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  9:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work BT. I am going to pick up Samyama, I have too much aggression that needs to be set free. Fighting with Mr Hyde every day, gets tiring.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  10:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bodhi,

Didn't read the whole thread. I'm rudimentary with samyama, so I didn't read the feelings with the sutras.

Just trying to find my own way. Love you. You are awesome! Keep going![
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2015 :  12:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good to hear, LBK. I think you will take to it like a fish to water. Also, just a reminder that channeling anger to our chosen ideal is very effective. No need to repress, just re-direct.

Thanks, lalow33! Less is more, as they say, so I'm sure you'll find much more satisfaction in your own practice than in my verbose indulgences. Nothing like firsthand experience.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2015 :  10:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

FakeYogi

India
100 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2015 :  01:34:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a question. This is all nice to hear. So this faintly saying the sutra and gong back to silence is the best way to pray (for something you want in life), I should ignore whenever I hear someone say ask god, ask god with intense longing, keep asking, keep visualizing your goal, feel it real, imagine you have already attained it, etc...? Not to divert the topic but to show where I'm coming from, there is an entire group of "manifesters" on various internet forums apparently using visualization techniques to achieve their goals.

Edited by - FakeYogi on Oct 05 2015 02:02:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2015 :  06:04:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear FakeYogi,
Answer from Yogani on the other thread:

"But I should point out that samyama is not primarily about cultivating individual results (siddhis) from individual sutras. It is about cultivating in a balanced way our ability to release all intentions, perceptions and actions in stillness, and thus gradually live every aspect of life as "stillness in action" without even thinking about it. That has unlimited dimensions, going far beyond the result of any particular sutra. It is what we are after. "

So no, you cannot ask for a brand new Ferrari that way

Sey
Go to Top of Page

FakeYogi

India
100 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2015 :  07:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Dear FakeYogi,
Answer from Yogani on the other thread:

"But I should point out that samyama is not primarily about cultivating individual results (siddhis) from individual sutras. It is about cultivating in a balanced way our ability to release all intentions, perceptions and actions in stillness, and thus gradually live every aspect of life as "stillness in action" without even thinking about it. That has unlimited dimensions, going far beyond the result of any particular sutra. It is what we are after. "

So no, you cannot ask for a brand new Ferrari that way

Sey

Yes yes, when I need a Ferrari I will go with ego based creative visualization but what about those innocent wishes that I cannot imagine can be any different from God's own will also but somehow I'm denied of it. Like say you are trying to cure a disease by all means but it is not getting cured. According to the Wilder novel when you deserve it already then you will get it if you say the word and go into silence. In this case it will be more powerful than egoistic manifestation ever can, because it is backed by God.
The reason for my asking is I'm doing samyama on one such thing very close to my heart, will it be made less effective in anyway if I also apply visualization techniques outside of Yoga practices.

Edited by - FakeYogi on Oct 05 2015 09:09:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2015 :  7:48:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Fakeyogi,

I'm newer to samyama. I'm pretty sure i don't control the universe. It just seems to change my noticing at this point. How many times I do send out a wish and get something unsuspected. And all the small strange ways it comes back to me or to someone I care about. I wonder if it's always been happening, and I've just dismissed it or overlooked it.

See if what you have been wanting so badly comes to someone close to you. If it does, be happy for him or her,

P.S. I've had several heartbreaking tragedies over the last couple years. More about not accepting what's happened, so I understand if you are disheartened. It's a terrible place to be. If this is what's going on, let me know.

Edited by - lalow33 on Oct 05 2015 8:02:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2015 :  10:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can create a sutra called "Ferrari". Releasing the intention into inner silence is morally self-regulating, so there is no problem.

Inner silence isn't exactly a genie in a bottle that grants our wishes with lavish and luxurious exactness. Rather, our desires are absorbed into the collective will, which always sorts things out in a way that is mutually beneficial to all parties concerned.

Though I linked certain sutras to certain results, that association is very much my subjective opinion, and doesn't really reflect the magnitude of the truly wholesome effect of samyama. My sutras may be reaching areas well beyond my personal life, and actually, that's the whole point...to stretch out the amplitude of good vibrations in far-reaching swells of good providence. Even if I don't get the pleasure of knowing exactly how my sutras positively affect someone, at least I get the pleasure of immersing myself in bliss consciousness at a deeper level.

Relinquishing pride of authorship may be worth the reward of being satisfied with the sensation of buzzing in stillness. It's a trade-off I'm learning to get used to.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  01:46:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Fakeyogi - Frankly, I don't think any of us truly knows how Inner Silence works or does not work. We all stumble along, aligning with new perspectives as understanding grows and that is continuously shifting.

For example - I have been in a lot of physical pain these past two days. Do I wish that I could heal myself? Hell - yes. Have I been able to heal myself? Hell - No. The pain goes away when I am sitting and for about 10 mins after but it is back in full force after that.

Lately, I have taken to adding "Death" to my list of sutras. And no, that has nothing to do with the above. I started adding that sutra about a month ago. I am unsure why - it is one of those things that happens on its own.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  12:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wishing you relief, Sey! (I have no guilt or shame in releasing that desire into stillness).

Love. Health. Resilience.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  1:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

@Fakeyogi - Frankly, I don't think any of us truly knows how Inner Silence works or does not work. We all stumble along, aligning with new perspectives as understanding grows and that is continuously shifting.

For example - I have been in a lot of physical pain these past two days. Do I wish that I could heal myself? Hell - yes. Have I been able to heal myself? Hell - No. The pain goes away when I am sitting and for about 10 mins after but it is back in full force after that.

Lately, I have taken to adding "Death" to my list of sutras. And no, that has nothing to do with the above. I started adding that sutra about a month ago. I am unsure why - it is one of those things that happens on its own.

Sey

I will be releasing all the sutras to you or anyone else. Please know that you are cared for here. I've had a pain condition for the past 14 years. Not fun, but a different view point is possible.

You will read that it's all your fault. You just aren't open enough. Whatever! You are becoming sensitive. That's okay. Just be gentle in all aspects of your life. You'll find balance.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  12:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@BT & Lalow

Sey
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2015 :  1:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bodhi,
My mind has"popped", I'm pretty sure what I've argued isn't ultimately true. Not sure anything is true.

I think you understand. Everything feels sorta like the bridge from nothingness to akasha. What a relief!
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  10:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Bodhi Tree, I have a question about the Inner Sensuality sutra.

quote:
The nuances of the human body mesmerize me, both in the physical and emotional textures. The divine feminine (within and without) has exemplified inner sensuality most of all.

Did you notice any resistance towards this sutra from the male aspect of your being? Or towards any practices for that matter in which you open up to life and become more sensitive. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  08:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, definitely. There has been some smoothing out of obstructions. Again, coming from a place of heavy alcohol and drug use, it's been a very gradual process for me. Leaving behind more carnal tendencies, so to speak.

I think the more that the inner sensuality sutra gets baked into my being, the more I am able to see both masculine and feminine aspects of myself. Just because my gender is male in the human body, doesn't mean that I am totally separate from the feminine. (Incidentally, I have a dear friend who is a gay male, and we've been meditating together for a couple years, and he has definitely helped me see the naturalness of awakening the feminine aspect of oneself. Not that I feel like I'm turning homosexual, but the lines between gender are a little more transparent. )

Hope that makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  3:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll see whether it makes sense for me It's a pretty difficult practice for the male aspect to come to terms with.
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  05:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The radiance of the sun upon all of nature is far more appreciated, as is the luminescence of the moon.

I am not mad !
This is exactly what I felt in the first weeks and still I am
I have always loved Nature but I am sure to see things differently now.

Sometimes, when driving or walking with my family, I tell them to look to the trees, the forest, the clouds and I often exclaim myself how everything is so beautiful but they do not understand why I am saying this.

Nature is really more beautiful than ever to me
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  08:19:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lol no you are sane and seeing with new eyes. Part of what is happening is old obstructions are being removed so you are seeing things closer to how they truly are with less interpretation and interference to filter through.

Here is something to do with your new vision as you view the trees.

Pay attention to the quality of the light from the sun as the seasons change, you will perceive much beauty in this and will be able to tell the seasons are changing by the differences in the quality of the light and how it casts shadows and holds everything in bold relief.

Just allow the suns rays to pass through the atmosphere no need to look at the sun just go for a walk and enjoy.

quote:
Originally posted by Apkallu

quote:
The radiance of the sun upon all of nature is far more appreciated, as is the luminescence of the moon.

I am not mad !
This is exactly what I felt in the first weeks and still I am
I have always loved Nature but I am sure to see things differently now.

Sometimes, when driving or walking with my family, I tell them to look to the trees, the forest, the clouds and I often exclaim myself how everything is so beautiful but they do not understand why I am saying this.

Nature is really more beautiful than ever to me

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000