Scary experiences
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2014 :  3:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ecdyonurus

Anyway, I begun to experience the mantra being like a vehicle literally driving me through different sceneries deeper and deeper into a space that I still cannot understand.

Well said.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  2:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, practices and daily activity are smooth and pleasant since adding spinal breathing pranayama.

I have another question about meditation: in my 20' meditation session, the first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes are usually more energetical than the middle part (from about minute 5 to minute 15 things are less intense, and in this part I often loose the mantra and drift away in thoughts or observing sceneries). It seems easier for me to stay with the mantra in the beginning and at the end of meditation. Is this normal? Should I change something? Is it correct to think that the middle part is less effective in terms of purification than the beginning and the end, where energy seems to move more?

Also, for safety reasons I respect the 20'-limit of meditation time, so I quit meditation exactly at 20' by leaving the mantra and gently coming back to the phisical body, even if I am in a (pleasant) energetical moment. However, I wonder if this abrupt quitting is appropriate, or if I should let the scenery/energy come to a natural end and quit meditation maybe 2-3 minutes later than exact set alarm time of 20'.

I would appreciate your advice!

Edited by - Ecdyonurus on Jan 05 2014 2:35:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  3:53:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The mantra refines in many different ways, so you don't have to worry about which segment of the meditation it seems easier to favor the mantra in. To paraphrase Yogani: losing the mantra is the name of the game, because when you lose it (involuntarily), you have dissolved the corresponding obstruction in your nervous system, and when you return to the mantra once you are aware you have lost it, then you are automatically in a deeper state. So, it's a process of losing it and returning to it, over and over again. But that just happens automatically by favoring it when you realize you're off it. You don't deliberately try to lose it.

The short answer is: what you describe is normal, don't change anything, and don't worry about judging what's more effective based on the energy flows. I have learned that the trivial is just as important as the profound, because it is one deeply connected matrix we are integrating and unifying with. The karma is unfathomable. What is dramatic one day may be completely normal the next, and vice versa.

What matters is the residual and persistent serenity that results. That is the common denominator, the through-line, the unifying presence which engulfs and consumes all scenery.

Re: the end of the meditation, I also use a bell timer, and once I hear the bell strike 20 minutes, I very gradually come back to normal awareness and rest for a few minutes--usually by stretching or laying down. So, it's very good to rest and not jump right up. You can stop favoring the mantra and just rest in stillness for the immediate minutes following the 20-minute benchmark.

Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  04:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

Re: the end of the meditation, I also use a bell timer, and once I hear the bell strike 20 minutes, I very gradually come back to normal awareness and rest for a few minutes--usually by stretching or laying down. So, it's very good to rest and not jump right up. You can stop favoring the mantra and just rest in stillness for the immediate minutes following the 20-minute benchmark.

Hi Bodhi Tree, thank you for the answers - very clear and useful!

However, I think that my last question was unclear, so I try it again: my question is not if I have to rest after DM (I do rest for 10 minutes), I was asking if it is ok to meditate some minutes longer than exactly 20' when the alarm bell catches me in the middle of an energetical moment. I mean, if I let the energetical moment fade away by itself it would be maybe 23' of DM instead of 20' - is that to much? On the other hand, forcing myself to quit DM during an energetical moment is not so pleasant, it really needsbself control to bring the energy down.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  08:47:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ecdyonurus

However, I think that my last question was unclear, so I try it again: my question is not if I have to rest after DM (I do rest for 10 minutes), I was asking if it is ok to meditate some minutes longer than exactly 20' when the alarm bell catches me in the middle of an energetical moment. I mean, if I let the energetical moment fade away by itself it would be maybe 23' of DM instead of 20' - is that to much? On the other hand, forcing myself to quit DM during an energetical moment is not so pleasant, it really needsbself control to bring the energy down.

Well, I definitely wouldn't force anything. No, no forcing. The whole technique and process is one of ease, finesse, calm and relaxation. So, is it OK? Well, you're the one who determines whether it's OK, aren't you? It's your trip. The 20-minute length is just the baseline technique, which can be fine-tuned based on your own inclination and results. But, letting the "energetical moment" fade sounds more advantageous than ripping yourself out of it just to conform to the strict time limit. But letting the energetical moment fade is not the same as easily favoring the mantra, so I was only suggesting that you can cease favoring the mantra at the 20-minute guideline.

Here's a good lesson:
http://www.aypsite.org/23.html - Watching the Clock
"As you get settled in the habit of regular meditations, keeping the time will become second nature. So, trust yourself. It's okay if you go over your time inadvertently [italics added by Bodhi Tree]."

As Yogani says, it is persistence and consistency that yield depth in this practice. Persistence is doing it over and over again. Consistency is using the same style.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2014 :  04:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bodhi Tree, thank you again, I appreciate your advice.

That “no forcing principle” makes sense and resonates with me: I am aware that I force to much in many life situations, being the kind of guy who emphasizes action and control instead of witnessing and relaxation. The good side of this is that - on the mere technical level - it is easy for me to pick up and perform yoga techniques. The bad side is that I have a hard time when unexpectd - not technical, more emotional - things happen (like this energy movements during meditation) where one should probably let go, lose control and witness without interfering or even worry about.

As you suggested, I read the lesson about watching the clock during practices. Actually, I use an alarm bell (smartphone) and it works fine for me: I don’t have to worry about time during practices, which is important for relaxation. However, after some weeks of practice it is true that I developed a feeling for those 20’ of meditation, so I could probably also avoid using an alarm. Maybe I will do it someday.

Edited by - Ecdyonurus on Jan 14 2014 02:06:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  02:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I tried to follow the principle of not forcing anything during practices, as suggested by Bodhi Tree.

It works fine, and is actually easy to follow (very surprising to me and - most of all - also very new in my life!).

So, again, thank you for the great support offered by this community!
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  10:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, two months after my last post on this topic I want to report that things are going much better.

The scary energy surges I was experiencing in the first weeks of AYP have disappeared, so practice has become smooth and pleasant.

I think that two advices I got from this wonderful community were very important for that improvement: first, to add SBP; second, to avoid forcing. Adding SBP clearly had a smoothing impact on energy (I am not able to explain how, it's just what I feel). Avoiding to force anything during practice allowed me to relax and just follow the mantra without expectations (which - by the way - is a totally new thing in my life...).

Also, I had to self pace a little bit. My practice is currently 8 min. SBP, 15 min. DM and 10 min. rest, twice a day. 2 to 3 times a week I do asana (class or at home). It fits well in my daily schedule.

During daily life I experienced some interesting positive changes. A surprising one is that my voice is different; something happened in my throat and neck (have no idea how, but during several DM I felt that tissues and bones in my throat and neck were sort of moving and readjusting by themselves). Also, my body is different, clearly more upright and not slouching as I used to, even the asana practice has been boosted towards more lightness and flexibility. On the negative side I sometimes feel pressure in my head or short moments of dizzyness, and that's why I self paced (with 15 min. of DM those symptoms are not a problem but they are pretty strong with 20 min. DM - if I had not experienced it myself I would never believe that those 5 min. can make such a difference.).

I am very happy to be here!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000