Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Time, Circadian Rhythms & Practices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  03:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'd be curious to get input in regards to two aspects of time as it concerns one's practice sessions:

1) Do you do your practices at the same time each day and does this regularity play a role in the success of your progress?

2) Have you experimented with doing your practice at a time deemed most ideal based upon your circadian rhythm? If so, how significant a difference did this make?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  12:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1 yes first thing after waking. It helps me not to forget to practice, if I were to have a practice later in the day I'd probably forget to do it half the time. Not sure about playing a role in success though, don't think it matters.

2 no. Honestly, for me this sounds obsessional. There's a fine line between dedication and dysfunction. For me that would be dysfunction, for someone else maybe its healthy.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  1:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1) Yes, in the morning before family wakes up, in the evening just after coming home from work and before cooking. It fits in well in my schedule, and anyway those are the only moments whe I can practice without any major impact on other activities or the needs of my family life. I think those regular practice times play a major role not so much because they are in line with circadian rhythm (in fact, it's nor easy for me to wake up earlier for practice, so maybe the morning practice is not at my best time in terms of circadian rhythm) but just for the practical reason that by scheduling my practice like that I can sustain it easily.

2) No idea but it is interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  4:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg,

1) If you do it at the same time everyday it becomes a habit, so you'll do it effortlessly.

2) No idea about the circadian rhythm. However the time of the day for me has been very important. If I wake up at about 5:00 am and the lay on my back, the chance of getting into Samadhi increases a lot compared to doing it later in the morning or in the afternoon.
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  2:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg,
I do try to meditate at the same time everyday. They don't relate to any circadian rhythm in my case.
The traditional yoga systems definitely advised on meditating at certain times of the day. But I think what works is definitely more important in the modern times so that one can easily sustain a regular practice.
One eventually finds that the body clock gets used to your regular meditation times as well and one will start feelings ecstatic for example at those times - sort of- like a nudge to get up and meditate.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000