New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

danebramage

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  3:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's about as deep as I get.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  11:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Why?
Go to Top of Page

danebramage

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  1:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Why not?
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  4:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought you might go a little deeper...
Go to Top of Page

danebramage

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  6:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Being dead only goes about 6 feet deeper but I didn't get that far so maybe I wasn't as dead as they thought I was. I will say in all seriousness I never felt better in my life dead. I was disappointed when they revived me. It's hard to describe. It's not exactly like being asleep but close. I've compared it to an ice cube melting in the ocean but I'm not sure I got that far either.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  6:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Was it all silence or did you dream?
Go to Top of Page

danebramage

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  7:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, that experience was over 20 years ago. I went thru the windshield of a car that had slid under a semi-truck. I still remember the point of impact vividly clear and I remember waking up 15 days later. The time spent between those two moments was spent in and out of consciousness.

So, I can't really say there was anything distinctly different from one awareness or the other until I was out of the "coma" and looking at my girlfriend. I remember the awesome peace I felt with no bodily, Earthy concerns. Life on Earth seemed more of a dream during that episode.
Go to Top of Page

danebramage

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  7:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It all really is only in our minds. I guess I was just one big, or little, thought. I wasn't really trying to observe anything. I was just being but what I was being was unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

danebramage

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  7:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The first thing I did after they removed all the tubes was take a shower and see if I could still sit in the lotus posture. Another experience I had was a vivid realization that everything in my field of vision was an illusory thought and I was perfectly normal when that occurred.

I'd tell you if I thought it was a psychotic reaction but it wasn't. It was like someone telling me "look, this is not what you've always thought". I'll never forget that revelation. I said to myself 'hmm, of course it's so imaginary". Who knows, there's probably a million explanations for that.
Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me but I was thankful for whatever caused it.

Edited by - danebramage on Jul 13 2011 10:24:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  9:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dane and everyone. I've been searching for the best answer to this question for sometime. What did Jesus mean when He said "Let the dead bury the dead?" I think I know but I'm not sure.
Thanks guys,
L
Go to Top of Page

danebramage

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  10:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Neighbor, I'm sorry but I'm unable to answer. I've discovered things have different meanings to me at different times and that's why I hesitate to answer. Maybe it has something to do with those who are awake in reality vs. those who are aren't. That's a wild guess. I'd be one of the dead burying myself so I'm clueless.
Go to Top of Page

danebramage

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  12:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to mention one last thing about that brain numbing car crash. It was one of the best things that's ever happened to me. I sued the trucking company and even though I didn't get all I asked for I'll never worry about money again. Yin / Yang. Every cloud has a silver lining. I worked out some karma and landed on easy street. I now practice Yoga like you read about.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  07:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lmaher22

Hi Dane and everyone. I've been searching for the best answer to this question for sometime. What did Jesus mean when He said "Let the dead bury the dead?" I think I know but I'm not sure.
Thanks guys,
L

I'm not sure either, but I think it is one of those things that is more complex than just the short phrase by itself. Both cases were times when Jesus had asked the disciple to travel with him, and he thought the disciple was just making unnecessary excuses to delay the trip. The disciple's father was not recently dead. They had an old jewish practice of letting the flesh waste away, then later burying the bones in an ossuary. So Jesus was saying let the spiritually dead bury their dead because by travelling they were going to proclaim the kingdom of God. So he was saying to let go of your old ways and move on.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  09:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As Etherfish said, when you could follow someone who could guide you to "everlasting life", a true living master, it is time to move on from the old dead ways (including old, dead scriptures).

Peace & Love.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  09:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by danebramage

I'd like to mention one last thing about that brain numbing car crash. It was one of the best things that's ever happened to me. I sued the trucking company and even though I didn't get all I asked for I'll never worry about money again. Yin / Yang. Every cloud has a silver lining. I worked out some karma and landed on easy street. I now practice Yoga like you read about.

Hard way to get it, but the free time would be nice. Since you have full days, what kind of practices do you do?
Go to Top of Page

danebramage

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  10:45:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When we hear a truth some how we intuitively know it's true & both answers to Imaher22's question ring true.

As for my practices, I got began Yogananda's Kriya Yoga correspondence course in the summer of 1969. It's Raja Yoga with weekly lessons for 3 years. I've filtered thru many different practices over the years somewhat like Yogani has. I have great admiration for both of those guys. I've followed Paramhansa Yogananda's Kriya prescription all of my life.
Go to Top of Page

Neutrino

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  11:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lmaher22

Thanks guys,
L

Hi,

It's quite common in some of Jesus' teachings to find that things borne of this world are dead, not alive. Especially in Gnostic sources e.g:

"Whoever does not hate [father] and mother as I do cannot be my [disciple], and whoever does [not] love [father and] mother as I do cannot be my [disciple]. For my mother [...], but my true [mother] gave me life."
— The Gospel of Thomas

"Those who are heirs to the dead are themselves dead, and they inherit the dead. Those who are heirs to what is living are alive, and they are heirs to both what is living and the dead. The dead are heirs to nothing. For how can he who is dead inherit? If he who is dead inherits what is living he will not die, but he who is dead will live even more."
— The Gospel of Philip

Interestingly, in this context, many things - perhaps even the real meat of his teachings - were actually given after crucifixion, post-mortem. Corporeal life is not real life, because it contains death. He wanted his disciples to discover something more - that which does not die.

P.S. Interesting experiences, danebramage.

Thanks.

Edited by - Neutrino on Jul 11 2011 11:42:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

danebramage

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  12:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, out of one coma and into the next. I'll be happy when this rodeo ends.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  12:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Whoever does not hate [father] and mother as I do cannot be my [disciple], and whoever does [not] love [father and] mother as I do cannot be my [disciple]. For my mother [...], but my true [mother] gave me life."— The Gospel of Thomas

nice thx
Go to Top of Page

danebramage

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  6:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The flames went out on the folder. I hope that means we can put this sub-moronic thread to rest.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  7:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Let the dead bury this thread by forsaking it.
For he, who wishes it dead hath given it life by his own writing.

Edited by - Etherfish on Jul 11 2011 7:55:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

danebramage

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  9:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So be it Fishyji
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  10:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000