Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 A question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  05:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
When I was a kid, my father would sit by my bed every night before I went to sleep.

And he'd say to me: "Percy... if you don't wake up tomorrow... if it turns out that today is your last day on Earth. Would you be proud of what you've done in this life?"

~Percy [Legion]

What would you reply to a question like that?

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  07:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Stop it father, you are depressing me"

and

"Get out my room; I'm 19 years old"

Edited by - woosa on Jul 07 2011 08:04:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  08:21:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Dad. I understood the first couple nights that you think pride is the most important thing in life. Don't you think there might be something else to life also?

Cause if pride is all there is, I am thinking of becoming a career janitor or car washer. I think in those jobs there would never be any question that I am doing my best.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  1:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i would appreciate if the question was as formulated as follows:"if it turns out that today is your last day on Earth.Do you approve of all the actions you performed today."
ie honest introspection.....
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  04:28:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My brother died a couple of years ago. He'd lived on a small island with a population of some 2,000 people. He was the only marine mechanic on the island of mostly fishermen and tourism, so his services were in high demand. He rarely got paid for his work but instead got fish, vegetables, bread and alcohol, which lead to his dying at a young age. The whole island turned up for his funeral and they had even written and sung a song in his honour. Looked at from a material wealth point of view, he was the least successful of my family members but looked at from the perspective of the love and friends and contribution to his community, he had a great life. I wish I would be so lucky...
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  1:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My reply would be "why do you ask"

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  2:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thx for sharing Sey
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  4:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

i would appreciate if the question was as formulated as follows:"if it turns out that today is your last day on Earth.Do you approve of all the actions you performed today."
ie honest introspection.....

good maheswari - that would be much better at shaping a child.
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  8:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also like Maheswari's reformulation...

But I would reply: "I dunno, Dad. Are you proud of what I've done today?"

In real life, my Dad would also sit by my beside every night. But instead of asking me if I was proud of what I'd done, he'd put his hand on my forehead and give me a blessing:

"May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord make face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you.
May the Lord make his countenance shine upon you and give you peace."

And then he'd add:
"And keep you safe and healthy in Jesus' name, Amen."

He did that every night until I left home for Germany at age 16.

And I think it's a much more effective way of giving a person courage to face whatever comes than asking them if they're proud of what they've done.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  11:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Liz how sweet your dad is
my mother used also to put her hands on my forhead before i go to sleep and say few prayers for me..she did so till my teenage years...
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  11:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
manigma what is your answer ?
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  12:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Because if you ain't, you better start getting square"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000