AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 position during deep meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jenniferad

47 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  08:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been practicing deep meditation for over a month and I also practice spinal breathing pranayama before DM. During SBP I easily sit in siddhasana. However, by the time I get into DM my legs and feet are numb. During DM I find it more comfortable to sit with my legs spread and bent so that the bottom of my feet touch each other and my legs are in a diamond shape. There is probably a name for that position but I don't know what it is. I find it more stimulating than siddhasana actually. Is there some reason I am not aware of why I should work toward being able to sit comfortably in siddhasana for entire duration of my practice, and if so, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Jennifer

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  09:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sit in whatever position is comfortable and least distracting.
If siddhasana makes your legs numb, maybe sit in siddhasana for a min or 2 and then just sit cross legged for the rest of the time. If your legs are going numb, you may be forcing the position... so just sitting cross legged will be enough for now. But if you do want to practice siddhasana for a bit, do it as long as you feel comfortable, and then move out of that position. Maybe try a rolled up sock to give you the effect of the heel, and that way you may be able to sit cross legged for a bit longer. Just suggestions... see what works for you... sitting with your "legs spread and bent so that the bottom of my feet touch each other" is fine too.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  11:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jennifer

Couple of suggestions/questions....
1. Siddhasana is best/easiest when sitting on something very soft like a fluffy couch or bed. This will make things much more comfortable. And if you are already doing that you can add a pillow (or two) under your buttocks to lift the hips up a bit and give a bit more "clearance" for the foot under the body.
2. You can always use a "prop" like Shanti suggested... it works just as well.
3. Are you doing any asana before practices? Even just a few minutes of easy (leg) stretching (I find this pose particularly helpful for preparing to sit in siddhasana; http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...1024&bih=616 ) will help to make it more comfortable to sit in siddhasana for the duration of SBP (if not your entire practice).

Hope this helps!

Love!

Oh yeah... the "feet touching" sitting position is called "Baddha Konasana" or "Cobblers Pose/Bound Angle Posture." http://www.google.com/search?q=cobb...1024&bih=616
Go to Top of Page

psychicexplorer

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  7:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit psychicexplorer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried every sitting position with and without cushions before I finally settled on sitting seiza on a meditation bench on top of a zabuton. This is similar to what I use and love : http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Medit...08547&sr=8-2
Go to Top of Page

jenniferad

47 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  10:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by psychicexplorer

I tried every sitting position with and without cushions before I finally settled on sitting seiza on a meditation bench on top of a zabuton. This is similar to what I use and love : http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Medit...08547&sr=8-2

Thank you psychicexplorer! That looks like a comfy bench. Maybe I'll meet someone who has one like it so I can try it out before spending a bunch of money.
Go to Top of Page

jenniferad

47 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  10:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Sit in whatever position is comfortable and least distracting.
If siddhasana makes your legs numb, maybe sit in siddhasana for a min or 2 and then just sit cross legged for the rest of the time. If your legs are going numb, you may be forcing the position... so just sitting cross legged will be enough for now. But if you do want to practice siddhasana for a bit, do it as long as you feel comfortable, and then move out of that position. Maybe try a rolled up sock to give you the effect of the heel, and that way you may be able to sit cross legged for a bit longer. Just suggestions... see what works for you... sitting with your "legs spread and bent so that the bottom of my feet touch each other" is fine too.

Thank you Shanti! I'm going to keep trying different things, and it is good to know it is fine to just do it the way I have been...
Go to Top of Page

jenniferad

47 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  10:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Hi Jennifer

Couple of suggestions/questions....
1. Siddhasana is best/easiest when sitting on something very soft like a fluffy couch or bed. This will make things much more comfortable. And if you are already doing that you can add a pillow (or two) under your buttocks to lift the hips up a bit and give a bit more "clearance" for the foot under the body.
2. You can always use a "prop" like Shanti suggested... it works just as well.
3. Are you doing any asana before practices? Even just a few minutes of easy (leg) stretching (I find this pose particularly helpful for preparing to sit in siddhasana; http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...1024&bih=616 ) will help to make it more comfortable to sit in siddhasana for the duration of SBP (if not your entire practice).

Hope this helps!

Love!

Oh yeah... the "feet touching" sitting position is called "Baddha Konasana" or "Cobblers Pose/Bound Angle Posture." http://www.google.com/search?q=cobb...1024&bih=616

Yes it does help, thank you Carson! I am glad to know the name is Cobbler's pose. I have not been doing asanas before meditation. I did try doing asanas a few times before meditation but found it didn't help the process much and I do my exercises later in the day. But I will try the pose you recommended tomorrow morning. It looks like a pose I would really enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  04:56:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't sit with my legs folded in any position so my legs just stretch ot in front. If I was an amputee then it would be impossible anyway and I'm sure that AYP is universal and available to everyone.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000