Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 head tilt during med
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  7:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been doing it Y's way for bout two months now. I think it's great, really great. I also believed I'm really blocked after a lifetime of BS. So anyway, I stated a few weeks ago that my head pulls to the right when I meditate and I'm not sure if my right side is constricting or the left side is opening up. But it really doesn't matter, does it? The only thing is the work. The work. Funny, how I went to fighting it (still do to some extent) to feeling bad if I don't do it everyday. In a nutshell, at this point it's easier to meditate than not meditate, if that makes sense? Hope so. Maybe things are slowly changing? I'm back to bad dreams again though. Wonder if that means anything?
Anyway, thank you all so much for the constant comments and support. Have a great weekend all, particularly our fearless leader Y (just kidding).
L

Kahlia

161 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  05:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bad posture creates tension in the body and mind which can hinder practice and cause pain and discomfort in the body.

Maybe your neck is out of alignment? Are your shoulders tense? Are you carrying a lot of tension in your upper back, face and jaw? These areas are all connected. Tightness and misalignment in one area can cause the same to occur in the other areas. Make sure your face and jaw are relaxed and that your shoulders are not hunched. The positioning of the neck is important, it should be in a neutral position.

I find doing some head rolls, circling the head slowly around and tilting the head up and down a few times before I begin meditation helps to relax that area and make it more comfy and help alignment.
I think correct positioning while meditating is very important.

Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  03:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kahlia

I think correct positioning while meditating is very important.

I agree. Take a glance at any yoga class during meditation to check how many straight spines you can find (1? 0?)...
Posture awareness and SPB immediately before will automatically improve the posture during meditation too, although the focus (during) is on the mantra.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  2:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Imaher22,

I agree with Hathateacher and Kahlia that bad posture is often unhelpful in spiritual practice. However, there is a time during the purification process when the head will tilt naturally to one side or the other as obstructions are being cleared and balanced. This can go on for weeks or even months as the process unfolds and is nothing to worry about.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000