AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Consciously Refining the Mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nathan

47 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  2:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've started with DM recently and have had some positive results, but there are some finer points I'm still unclear on, one of which is the direction not to consciously refine the mantra.

I know how to repeat the mantra more inwardly and quietly. At times, I was attempting to go deeper and make the mantra more quiet with each repetition. More recently I've chosen to stay at one level and keep repeating it until there is a sort of inner urge to go quieter, and then I let the mantra drop down a level in quietness. Is this consciously refining?

At other times it seems like I might stay at a more surface level indefinitely, unless choosing to go deeper. Also, in the beginning of a meditation session, it seems like I have to make a conscious choice about how deep to start out.

I have noticed that if I choose to go deeper and deeper then there may be mental disorientation and tiredness during the day afterwards.

So basically I'm unclear on the subtle difference between letting the mantra go more deep and quiet and consciously making it more quiet.

p.s. I also wanted to ask about losing the mantra. Even if I am noticing thoughts, the mantra is still being repeated. Does losing the mantra mean not have full attention on it, even if it's still being repeated?

Yaming

Switzerland
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  3:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To my understanding you should not pay attention at all at what level the mantra is. Just repeat it at whatever level it is, no conscious effort to make it deeper or anything. It will happen by itself.
Losing the mantra means for me, that I lose it completly. I had at the beginning too that I would never really lose it and only have thoughts beside the mantra. My problem was, that I was trying to have too much control over the process. I was clinging to the mantra. Don't know if it applies to you too.

Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  5:56:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dont pay attention to making the mantra subtler.

even if mantra is being repeated automatically in the background, consider it as a loss of mantra. we have to be "actively" repeating the mantra to be considered on the mantra. Thoughts can co-exist with mantra as long as you are actively repeating the mantra.
Go to Top of Page

Nathan

47 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  8:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yaming and nearoanoke for your replies. I found some additional helpful information in the topic "Letting go of the mantra."

I'll try not to direct or manage the process and see how I feel outside of practice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000