Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Meditation and Panic Attacks?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Queen

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  11:51:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Queen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone

Due to a big (exciting, but daunting) change in my life coming up in the next month, I have found myself having panic attacks and being emotionally unstable. Even though it is a change I am very happy about, as it involves moving out of my parents home to a City I love. I went through a bad depression a few years ago which was brought on by another big life change (University - again something that is generally a considered a progressive, happy change) and I am terrified that it might happen again.

Are there any techniques I could use to help me through this? Even just to calm me down when I start to feel overwhelmed and have an attack? I already do pranayama for 10 mins and meditate using the mantra method for 20 mins, twice a day.

Thanks.

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  4:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Queen

Are there any techniques I could use to help me through this? Even just to calm me down when I start to feel overwhelmed and have an attack? I already do pranayama for 10 mins and meditate using the mantra method for 20 mins, twice a day.

Thanks.

Hi Queen,

I have found Byron Katie's inquiry system: "The Work" to be an excellent tool for immediate challenges like this. Her book "Loving What Is" provides a simple step by step, easy to use tool for overcoming stress and anxiety etc. Maybe this will work for you.

Best of luck!

A
Go to Top of Page

RSS

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  06:37:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Queen,
This guy is great. He cuts right to the core of what causes a panic attack - the fear of having one. He gives you techniques for diffusing them and then wants you to put yourself in situations that may trigger one so you can practice diffusing it. Once you do this, you don't fear them as much and you stop having them.
http://www.anxietycoach.com/
He has books, courses, and does telephone consulting.
Check it out,
Good Luck,
Bob
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  12:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend the Presence Process, by Michael Brown.

It really taught me how to remain sane, during times of intense emotion.
Go to Top of Page

psychicexplorer

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  7:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit psychicexplorer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Thanks.

Try using one of the most soothing things you always have available... your breath. Breath awareness always helps me if I need to calm down.
Go to Top of Page

danebramage

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  5:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Xanax is a popular remedy but not much of a technique.
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  12:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is about one minute before a panic attack when you can "feel it coming." Practice awareness during that minute. Observe what happens. Look for ways to disengage the panic. Look for ways to not feed the panic. Look for ways to avoid the snowball effect. Really examine if the thoughts, fears, excitements you have during that minute are true, or are they false things? Are they feeding the panic, or are they rational normal thoughts? How can you tell the difference between the two?

During that minute you have a choice. Learn to see that choice. Get in the habit of making that choice, and you'll be free of it.
Go to Top of Page

Chhinnamasta

USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 18 2014 :  1:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chhinnamasta's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Can Kundalini cause or trigger a panic attack?
Go to Top of Page

sweetair

Egypt
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2014 :  06:41:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
try to breath calmly in your notrils while breathing corectly there must be a warm sensation in the nostrils, DO not hyperventilate notice when you hyperventilate you feel a cool sensation on your nostril just try to avoid that it kills panic attack fast

also this maybe an out of the box answer ,try jogging or any aerobic workout regularly it really changed my life from cant sleep feeling anxious tensed stressed my resting heart rate(80-90bpm)to someone that sleeps like a baby , stable , relaxed and literaly no panic attack resting heart rate (60-70bpm) sorry if exercise sounds hard but it is a must
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  5:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RSS

Queen,
This guy is great. He cuts right to the core of what causes a panic attack - the fear of having one. He gives you techniques for diffusing them and then wants you to put yourself in situations that may trigger one so you can practice diffusing it. Once you do this, you don't fear them as much and you stop having them.
http://www.anxietycoach.com/

I completely agree with Bob and with Dr. Dave Carbonell. I used to have bouts of anxiety and what rid me of them was simply plunging into that feeling of anxiety. Yes, it felt awful doing it, I broke into a sweat, felt tired afterwards, but I kept inviting that feeling of anxiety, sort of saying to it 'yes, keep coming... what are you trying to say to me? I really must get to the bottom of this' and once you do get to the bottom of it, you will see it's not a deep lake, it's a mere puddle.

I hope you sort it out soon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000