Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 mantra gently and effortless or without concentrat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boris

Norway
68 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  3:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit boris's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,I just notice that repeating the mantra without concentration brings me easier into silence than saying the mantra gently and effortless.it seems that when I say it gently and effortless there is still a little concentration that keeps me from not loosing the mantra.
anybody else notice this?
Another thing,I have learned a friend the I am mantra.Would it be wrong to tell him to just repeating the mantra without concentration or should I say easy and effortless?

kevincann

USA
335 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  4:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by boris

Hello,I just notice that repeating the mantra without concentration brings me easier into silence than saying the mantra gently and effortless.it seems that when I say it gently and effortless there is still a little concentration that keeps me from not loosing the mantra.
Another thing,I have learned a friend the I am mantra.Would it be wrong to tell him to just repeating the mantra without concentration or should I say easy and effortless?

Grasping with the mind onto sense objects, whether gross (normal matter) or refined ("spiritual") is why we are here on Earth. It's a nasty habit, that leads to suffering. Really, there would be nothing wrong with grasping.. except that to grasp, we warp Awareness to do something disruptive to the flow of life. Awareness is like a string... it's only when we relax that the knots fall out of it, and we see it for what it always was.. a string.. and not a mass of knots. Nothing is more important than to understand about grasping, and how to avoid it during spiritual practice.

It is very difficult to "concentrate", without grasping and expecting results. This is why the wise way of practicing meditation of any kind, does not use grasping (forced attention on the mantra in this case).

This is why Yogani makes a huge point out of saying easily come back to the mantra when you notice that you are not repeating it. Now some may split hairs and say that the mantra refines and gets fuzzy and hard to hear and what not.. and i'm not disputing that is something that happens for many.. but it is not something to strive for.. if it happens that way... fine.. if it does not.. fine..

If you perceive the repeating of the mantra in whatever form.. then you are perceiving it..no need to force it to be any particular way.. you can let it be. It's only when you lose it entirely, that you bring it back, lazily, effortlessly.

This is my experience with mantras in general.

Love,

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  09:00:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by boris

Hi Boris,
I think "easy and effortless" is another way to say "to repeat without concentration". What you described is perfect, so keep going. You can tell your friend both, and whatever works for him is fine. Words have different meaning to different people.
Go to Top of Page

boris

Norway
68 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  5:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit boris's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the answer,Yes i guess it is cause of my bad english I didnt understand that easy and effortless was the same as no concentration
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000