New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  5:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kirtanman,

I am about half way through Para-Trisika-Vivarana and it has been very helpful. It is the right text at the right time for me. It has confirmed much of what I felt. Thanks again for recommending it.

Also, I agree with your definitions on Puryastaka & 36 Tattvas, and realize that I initially did a poor job of expressing my point. Maybe a better way to describe the relationship would be to say that they are different dimensions (or perspectives) on the same thing. As you go higher in the 36 Tattvas, you filter more of Purvastaka. Similarly, "turning on" chakras can be perceived as rising through the levels of Tattvas.

You summed it up well with...

"Because those conditioned identifications manifest in the physical body, via neuro-chemical and other changes brought about by mind-conditions and actions driven by attachments and aversions -- form-practices such as AYP's can be extremely beneficial, as can inquiry and awareness practices."

Peace & Love.

Edited by - jeff on Jun 18 2011 5:33:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  08:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kirtanman,
So glad you enjoyed it. I tried to read several other books about Kashmir Shaivism before reading Consciousness is Everything and really couldn't understand them at all. Even the info in Wikipedia is daunting if you go into without a whole lot of yogic knowledge, so Swamiji's book really helps a lot for beginners, I think. It also has a lot of great meditation practices as well including the I AM Mantra.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  7:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff,

You're very welcome; glad you're enjoying it! And thanks very much for the kind words.

The only thing I might say a bit differently, is that while Puryastaka may be filtered as part of sadhana, it's not really filtered, in terms of the tattvas.

The tattvas, and thus any given moment, are experienced based on where our sense of self (if there is one) resides.

If it is with Puryastaka, all of the more expansive, more subtle, more deeply internal states "behind" it (i.e. "Shiva-ward") are effectively absent, even though the full range of tattvas is of course always present, being emanations of awareness itself (if awareness wasn't ever-present, nothing else would be).

Often, even in fairly early sadhana, we can have deep experiences of inner silence, which are "behind" Puryastaka, but then these are "grabbed" (filtered) by ego-mind, which claims them ("I experienced inner silence") ... that's why the tattva of ego is Ahamkara - "I Maker", in Sanskrit.

And so, our sense of self is either resting in a given tattva, or not.

I agree, though, that the effect over time is one of shedding -- in the sense that more and more moments are spent in more expansive states, and then in freedom, and then in natural, liberated wholeness now - which is, eventually, never not-experienced (there's only wholeness / there's no non-wholeness).

I hope that's useful, too, and I'm really glad to hear you're enjoying the Para-Trisika-Vivarana. Many people seem to find it a bit daunting, for some reason. I just happen to resonate with Abhinavagupta a lot, and for me, his personality and humanity shine through in his writing - as well as his amazingly enlightened wisdom. Not to mention the fact that the sheer amount of detail regarding Matrika, Malini, the exact correlates between the tattvas and each Sanskrit letter, etc., is quite helpful in becoming clear on the overall model, for those of us who are drawn to such things.

Wholeness Is.

Edited by - Kirtanman on Jun 19 2011 7:42:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  7:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by stevenbhow

Thanks Kirtanman,
So glad you enjoyed it. I tried to read several other books about Kashmir Shaivism before reading Consciousness is Everything and really couldn't understand them at all. Even the info in Wikipedia is daunting if you go into without a whole lot of yogic knowledge, so Swamiji's book really helps a lot for beginners, I think. It also has a lot of great meditation practices as well including the I AM Mantra.

I agree - it's a great book, in general - and especially so, for those with an interest in Kashmir Shaivism, but who don't want to delve into the ultra-detailed specifics.

Like many traditions, Kashmir Shaivism can be understood at the level of broad principles, through to as much detail (or more) as any human mind could possibly want or comprehend.

The good news is: the broad-principle level of understanding is just as powerful as the greater detail ... and possibly more so, for those who tend to over-think detail.

Swami Shankarananda does a great job of conveying the general principles simply, while offering just enough detail to provide some solid support and clarification.

Once again: highly-recommended!

Wholeness Is.

Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  11:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kirtanman,

I completely agree on your assessment of Abhinavagupta. His words have always resonated with me. He goes into great detail which can help confirm what I may be feeling. The challenge is when I try to "understand" beyond my current experience. I think it depends on how you "feel" the energy or Kundalini, for me it has always felt like vibrations, so all of his explanations fit.

I think you and I are "saying" the same thing, but I found that Abhinavagupta in Para-triska-Vivarana described the point that I was originally trying to make...

"When there is dissolution of prana and apana (marudadi), in susumna which, as the central channel, is full of the storage of the energy of all the senses, then one's consciousness gets entry into that stage of the great central susumna channel where it acquires union with the pulsation of one's Sakti, then all sense of duality dissolves, and there is the perfect I-consciousness generated by the abundance of the perfection of one's own inherent Sakti."

I also agree that Puryastaka is not something that we need to get beyond or filter. It is more like not allowing oneself to be "overwhelmed" by it. I do believe that there is a relationship between not being "overwhelmed" with Puryastaka and chakra expansion & growth (or pulsation of one's Sakti). I would be interested in your thoughts.

Peace & Love.

Edited by - jeff on Jun 21 2011 2:25:37 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000