Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 meditation difficulties
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  12:11:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Last week my meds were going well and between sittings I had wonderful peaceful feelings in my gut. But the last few days have been hard. I just sit there repeating the mantra but mostly waiting for time to be up so I can leave. The in-between good feelings are gone and I feel like pushing myself to med more almost as if to win the fight. Silly. My everyday attitude is still better as I'm less angry and frustrated but I see others writing in about how wonderful each meditation is and wonder what is wrong with me. Any suggestions or is this just cognitive dissonance for something new I found as in AYP? Perhaps it will pass?
Thank you all.

Edited by - AYPforum on Jun 03 2011 12:21:31 AM

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  03:38:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds familiar to me...
I'd say, self pace the self pacing - don't quit too early. Clarity of mind during the day is a very good sign, it tells you you're not off track.
When sitting, just gently favor the med. instead of the thought/sensation of the "clock going damn slowly" etc. Sometimes, it'll take you back "to the point" without noticing, sometimes you at least don't lose anything (in trying without pushing).

Yogani has written that Asana has become like a billion-dollar industry. IMO, the "writing in about how wonderful each meditation is" is just a byproduct of that, far from a complete pic. Accept (any) scenery but don't be too attached to it (this is pretty similar to Tantra). Those who meditate regularly for decades have been through periods of friction too (long, or boring, or many, or whatever... ) especially during retreats or extra long sessions.

Also, Asana and Pranayama (right before DM, as far as possible) usually pave the way, removing some of the friction in advance; body and mind are two sides of the same coin. This also helps you more or less automatically to keep the spine reasonably straight during the med., making the mind a little more focused.

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Jun 03 2011 03:53:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  08:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Hatha. Just knowing it will pass brings hope... Also thanks for reminding me that a straight spine is needed. I have a lot of difficulty with that due to my years in my occupation.
Thanks again,
L
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  08:59:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lmaher22

Last week my meds were going well and between sittings I had wonderful peaceful feelings in my gut. But the last few days have been hard. I just sit there repeating the mantra but mostly waiting for time to be up so I can leave. The in-between good feelings are gone and I feel like pushing myself to med more almost as if to win the fight. Silly. My everyday attitude is still better as I'm less angry and frustrated but I see others writing in about how wonderful each meditation is and wonder what is wrong with me. Any suggestions or is this just cognitive dissonance for something new I found as in AYP? Perhaps it will pass?
Thank you all.

Yes.. it is a phase and this too shall pass.
And it is a very common phase... many of us have gone through it.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3196
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=1214#8032
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2643
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=506

"Honoring the practice" ... getting yourself to the meditation seat even if it is for 5 min is helpful.

http://www.aypsite.org/241.html
quote:
If you can make it a steady habit like brushing teeth, bathing and eating, the benefits will accumulate naturally over time. That is all there is to it.

Go to Top of Page

Zelebe

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  03:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

Try to look at your desire for peaceful feelings and your desire for ending the sitting period as just another distraction. Try not to expect results but just do the practice. Also try not to evaluate yourself and the feelings you have afterwards, but just focus on wht you are busy with.

Best regards
Go to Top of Page

yoginiwanders

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  11:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am only beginning to experience the good feelings associated with deeper and more experienced meditation but from my experience, the second that I start to let go of the outcome of trying to have a special experience that is when I start to go deeper. In budhist literature they talk about this a lot.
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  09:24:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wanda, welcome to the journey (and the forums of ccourse!)

Edited by - mimirom on Jun 22 2011 09:29:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  1:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
often make the point to friends who ask about the calm and bliss I must experience by meditating. I laugh at that, to me it can feel like hard work and why not, I'm steering my mind where it doesn't want to go and my mind makes it feel difficult. Like everything, illusion. When you feel like it's getting frustrating and difficult...........simply go back to favouring the mantra.

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  04:19:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah Yeah Yeah.. months and months of boring, nothing happening, I can't wait to get off my meditation seat; is this really working doubts. Worst, when looking at my daily life, where we are told to look for the progress and I am just still "me" - my good side and bad side, co-existing. And then, out of nowhere, that is within me, love is pouring out and I am blessed.

I am definitely more compassionate and let go off things more easily.. so something must be happening.
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  1:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all very much. Gonna dig in!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000