Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 metta meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  3:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
i've been doing this for a week or so now. I've found it's helped me display warmth to other people which none of the other aYP practices really have.

IT's like it works on the cognitive level and really influences the emotional mind.

I practice samyama everyday but so far as i can tell no one has noticed.

I kno this points to the fact that i am looking for an effect between me and whoever i'm with and it is egotistical in that respect.

But i suppose thats whats fuelling my practice right now.

I've noticed when i meet spiritual people they spot my energy from practice but the muggles are just not sensitive to it.

And yet with metta I feel like it has a very calming effect.

I've been reading beyond mindfulness by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana.

IT's introducing deepening states of meditation.

I'm actually very interested in improving my mindfulness practice so i'm going to get his book on mindfulness. I mentions hindrances in that book which i haven't read of before.

My dream is to become a counsellor in the long term so i really need to display warmth towards people. It seems to make me stronger too.

All I do is read a statement 7 small pages long E.g.

May I be free may i be free from afliction may i be free from worry. May I live happily.
As I am so also may my parents, teachers, preceptors, and friendly, indifferent, and hostile beings be free from hatred.

etc.

Does yoga have any concept of this form of meditation? It is more like a prayer except I am asking myself to become this "kind" of person.

unconditional love rocks.

Joe

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  3:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello JosephUK,

I too hope to become a therapist some day and working already in the mental health field am always trying to project as much warmth and love towards the patients as I can. When I first started meditation it was a more forced act for sure...slowly but surely though the mask is dropping and real love and radiance is coming forth, i dont know if this is how its supposed to work or not but for me even though there were times when i had to try my best to force a smile, sit back and listen fully to the patients and try and feel love it has started to take on a life of its own and people are responding to it amazingly. As far as your practice, it almost sounds like its own form of samyama or projecting love into yourself, your life and the people around you, sounds very cool Thats my two cents. Take care!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000