Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Does the Mind get mega busy before it's calmed...?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Queen

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  6:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Queen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I read somewhere that when you start meditating, you will notice just how busy the mind really is. As you continue, the mind gets busier... kicks up a fuss at the greater power that is about to overcome it. I've heard an analogy somewhere along the lines of 'the sea will first churn up sand in waves and tides before it becomes calm'.

I have been meditating with the mantra method for a few months now... once a day for 20 mins. In the past week I have made the effort to do it twice a day, for 20 mins - and today I have felt like I have so much on my mind. Nothing particularly eventful is happening in my life at the moment - yet my mind feels crazy busy. Could this be the churning sand before the calm? I was wondering if anyone here has felt something like this when they first started out...?

:)

escapado

Germany
88 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  9:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the cleansing process kicks up some dust I guess
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  10:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Queen,

That can definitely happen as a result of deep meditation. As we progress with the mantra, we start to identify less with thoughts, so they can seem more noticeable. Like when you go to the mountains and realize how smoggy your city is, which you didn't notice when you were down in the streets.

A busy mind and a calm mind are both phases, so don't be disappointed if they come and go in cycles. Inner silence is deeper than both.

Your experience sounds good. Wish you the best with your practice

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  02:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes this is exactly what each meditator experiences
dont worry everything seems to go just fine with u
just keep it up
may you become the Queen of yr mind
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  2:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Queen of the mind or Peer of the thoughts, you're right in just returning to the mantra over and over, as described in the lectures. That's the center of it. The scenery is the periphery and doesn't set the quality of any results. For example, a calm "enjoyable" scenery can come from the mind just trying hard to stop "wrong"/"uncomfortable"/"negative" thoughts or sensations (instead of engaging straightforward in the meditation irself).

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Jun 01 2011 2:54:39 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000