Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Deception
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

psychicexplorer

USA
35 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  11:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit psychicexplorer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I just finished watching Deception on the Discovery channel. It is a show where a mentalist named Keith Barry hypnotizes people and gets them to do things they normally would never do. In the show he happened to mention that extroverts are easier to hypnotize then introverts. This made me wonder if practicing meditation makes one more difficult to hypnotize? Anyone have any experiences?

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  07:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion would be that practicising meditation makes it easier to hypnotize you. The moment someone says - you are now feeling more and more relaxed - you are so used to getting into that state (it is rather like self-hypnotism) that you immediately go over.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  08:39:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by psychicexplorer
This made me wonder if practicing meditation makes one more difficult to hypnotize?

Yes. This happens naturally as a meditator develops strong will/control over his Agya Chakra (Third Eye/Command chakra).

There is a scene in the movie 'The Matrix' where the Agents are exhausting Morpheus so they could break into his mind.

Love that scene.

Go to Top of Page

psychicexplorer

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  7:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit psychicexplorer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

My opinion would be that practicising meditation makes it easier to hypnotize you. The moment someone says - you are now feeling more and more relaxed - you are so used to getting into that state (it is rather like self-hypnotism) that you immediately go over.

Sey

I hope not. It is kind of scary to think that I am practicing deep meditation every day , making me more and more susceptible to hypnotism.
Go to Top of Page

delta33

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  8:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit delta33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by psychicexplorer

I just finished watching Deception on the Discovery channel. It is a show where a mentalist named Keith Barry hypnotizes people and gets them to do things they normally would never do. In the show he happened to mention that extroverts are easier to hypnotize then introverts. This made me wonder if practicing meditation makes one more difficult to hypnotize? Anyone have any experiences?

as one meditates, s/he becomes more aware of the myriad of control games that are going on around them all the time, and the ability to step back into the silent witness perspective.. from there one can make a conscious decision whether or not to get 'involved' in the drama at hand.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  10:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree - meditation would make it harder to hypnotize you. Ever since I was little I have found it easy to go into a trance state and see visions. But hypnotists have never been successful with me, even though I wanted them to be.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  05:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I based my opinion on the fact that when I listen to guided meditation, I find it very easy to relax, go deep and do /visualize exactly as instructed (say like in pathworking) - in an automatic manner...compared to someone who has never done meditation. That does not mean that if I was to be told "go jump off a cliff or bark like a dog" that I would do so as one does remain very aware. Depends what is meant by hypnotism here.

Edited by - SeySorciere on Jun 03 2011 05:33:00 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000