Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Nutter dumb question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  1:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Sometimes I feel the desire to do the DM more than twice a day. Should I resist the urge or give it a shot? I've been hanging around a Buddhist place for a couple of years and I know the head guy would say 'do whatever feels right.' But different rules for different ballparks. I'll follow what's suggested here.

Edited by - AYPforum on May 23 2011 1:30:33 PM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  1:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  4:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lmaher22

Sometimes I feel the desire to do the DM more than twice a day. Should I resist the urge or give it a shot? I've been hanging around a Buddhist place for a couple of years and I know the head guy would say 'do whatever feels right.' But different rules for different ballparks. I'll follow what's suggested here.

It's not recommended. Might be interesting to understand why you feel the need? Do you have a habit of going flat out at new things?

There is a point during practice that it becomes almost automatic. You then move into constant meditation at all times of the day or night until the distinction becomes blurred because meditation is happening more and more anyway. Pushing at the beginning can sometimes result in burn out and a feeling of total discomfort.

Try meditating more often just to experience the discomfort if you need to. It's not pleasant but maybe you need to experience the boundaries.

Better to take some exercise instead, but your inner Guru knows what is necessary.
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  5:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi lmaher22,

How long have you done DM?

Is it stand-alone(state freq. & duration) or part of a bigger plate?

If you've done DM long enough you'll know if DM works for you ro does'nt, in what duration, the effects etc etc. When we start yoga practices or even new systems we usually carry expectations.

There is also a certain cumulativeness from the effects of practices and particularly when you combine them with others then you may see the true potency of the pot.

So if you were thinking of adding more power and potency then adding another ppractice within the AYP schema would be the normal order of things.However this does beg my first question- how long you've been doing DM for. If not long then you could consider it a bit longer then adding spinal breathing.

The thing with a beginner to yoga is he is not wise to what the razors' edge can be. An overly zealous beginner though unlikelyor so i've heard could run into trouble.I read something interesting where that folk with strong will can run into trouble.

I would ask that you say how long you've been doing DM then i could offer suggestions such as throwing in some asana or spinal breathing or addiing extensions to DM with self-monitoring/self-pacing per the AYP system.

I've done 30-40 mins and it's been fine.Withou prior history the wisdom to predict ill-effects is hidden and largely unknown.

P.S
One way to test out out what you're thinking of is simply to add say 5 mins and see if this helps. If you've only been doing DM for less than a month but more than 3 weeks you could consider adding a couple minutes of spinal breathing before your DM sesssion while moving forward carefully and wisely and respecting self-pacing.You should know if this will work for you if you've done DM long-enough then you've got enough prior history.The litmus test as with much or all of yoga is the effects or how your feel in daily life.

Edited by - Akasha on May 23 2011 6:00:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  11:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much. I found myself with extra time and thought I'd put it to good use. I've been meditating twice a day for about a year, without knowing about Yogani. I read his book on DM a few weeks ago and got all kinds of renewed interest. But I think I'll take your advice and stick to the recommended practice. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I do have a tendency to be over-zealous.
Larry
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  08:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have that tendency too, and it can be very useful to force yourself to do just twice daily when you want more.

The reason is you will think of it and want it during the day, and that is bhakti, which is one of the most powerful tools to help you along your path (see the yoga FAQ for definition).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000