Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 difficulty in siddhasana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wannabeyogi

USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  8:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
I have been practising siddhasana for a couple of years now, but the progress seems to be slow. I am not able to sit in that position for more than 15 min. My legs go numb after that. Is there a way to make the progress faster? Are there any other asanas that I would help to get good at siddhasana sooner?
Thanks for your help
Amit

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  02:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
just sit in whatver asana makes u confortable...
remember asanas are only a tool ...they are a beginner aid to the vast world of Self Realization...and this is the aim of yoga ...
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  3:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wannebeyogi,

The main purpose of siddhasana is stimulating the energies upwards. If you cannot achieve that with your heel (because your feet get numb), you can use something else to sit on to achieve the same effect.

quote:
Originally posted by yogani Women who find it difficult to reach either the perineum (yoni opening) or clitoris with their heels may choose to use prosthetic objects to achieve the same effects. It is perfectly okay and is valid yoga, as long as the principle of ongoing preorgasmic stimulation during sitting practices is achieved. So, if the legs do not fold well, and/or the heel(s) do not reach, the effects of advanced siddhasana can still be achieved sitting in a chair, or anywhere, if the appropriate stimulating objects are used. The same goes for men, of course.

More info here: http://www.aypsite.org/T28.html

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but hopefully it's useful to you. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  10:04:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Medea and all !
There's a very similar thread here under Asanas and Postures, JFYI.:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=9782#9782

Edited by - HathaTeacher on May 26 2011 10:10:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

wannabeyogi

USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  10:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all of that information. I still am looking to perfect the siddhasana pose and am finding progress slow. Any tips to get it going faster?
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  11:42:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wannabeyogi,

I want to thank your for your question, and for your persistence in still looking to "perfect the siddhasana pose." I bow to the light in you. Namaste.

Although it has not been part of my Spinal Breathing Pranayama and Deep Meditation practice of late (due to self pacing), thanks to your question, your quest, I added siddhansana pose this morning. Beautiful.

In view of your difficulty with your leg going numb withing 15 minutes, I feel lucky that I was able to sit for a little more than 30 minutes without loss of sensation in my leg. When I got up my leg was a little stiff, but not numb or "asleep."

I used the form of Siddhasana that Yogani describes in lesson 75:

"...done on a soft surface, like a bed, and with back support.'

I used a sofa chair with well warn springs, and a lot of give. I also used a pillow to support my lower back. I left my other leg on the floor, but as the session progressed I let that leg come up into a crossed legged position for better energetic balance.

I don't know if this will help you, but I do know for sure that your question helped me, and gave me support in my practice this morning.

With gratitude,

be
Go to Top of Page

wannabeyogi

USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  11:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bewell,
Im glad that my question was of help to you, and thanks for responding to my post.
I do use a couple of layers of cushioning to sit on, so that is soft enough I guess. I dont feel pain in my lower back, so using a pillow for my lower back wont help much, I think. I am thinking suryanamaskar would help, losing some weight would help, and maybe meditation. But those are just guesses. I was hoping that somebody would have faced a similar situation and would give me some tips that helped him. With every other asana of yoga, and pranayama it seems pretty easy to get good at it if one practised daily. But with siddhasana, I am not seeing that and am wondering if I am missing something. Ofcourse I am not practising it everyday, but do it regularly.
Thanks
W
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  08:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi W,

This morning I did siddhasana again with my morning pranayama and meditation routine of 30 minutes. Afterward I lay down on the floor for a five minute rest. During that time I this morning, unlike yesterday, I felt some of the pin prick inner sensation that is associated with the leg "falling asleep." I thought of your complaint about numbness. It occurred to me that for me at least, that level of numbness was not a problem in that it had disappeared well within the frame of my five minute rest.

Be
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  11:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
While I'm browsing around to look for some pointers on siddhasana myself, wanted to address a bit of your point on the legs falling asleep. I've started meditating a while back using a hand-build inclined wood seat with a hard thin pillow on top, with a towel for support on the hardwood floor, using regular legs crossed position. My knees were not enjoying it, but discovered over the course of the hour, the legs and knees loosened up on their own, but the numbness meant I needed to uncross and recross them to make the session. In time, I realized the wood seat was of no real use, but the pillow was. Half-way through the session, I started folding the legs one in front of the other, and to my surprise, no numbness almost at all. So the routine became sitting cross-legged on hard pillow for the first half, then discarding it and using only the towel for the second half with legs folded in front (as in, one parallel to the other, soles of feet almost facing upward). Now, the knees don't complain anymore at all, and the only portion that gets numb are the feet, along with some pain at the ankles. The answer to that, as before, is to switch feet, which solves the numbness and pain for another good while. So, in my case, I can't say it was my legs getting used to numbness, but to the way the posture and knee (and likely hip) flexibility developed over time that allows the legs to be comfortable without going all numb.

Of course, now that I've been using the simple siddhasana (and loving it), I'm running into back and ankle problems due to the way it angles the body backwards, creating an arched back and extra strain and its associated pain. While I'm off to search the forums (a rolled-up sock is just not as...sexy?..), I hope my little story was of some use.

**edit to clarify that quick and messy write-up: so I find that it was the new posture itself that helped the blood flow to the legs be just right, and not the legs themselves somehow tolerating it better.

Edited by - AumNaturel on Jul 30 2011 11:31:31 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000