Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Jesus an early AYP follower?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  12:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Not to bore everyone, but I come originally from a Christian background. When I was younger, what my church taught never made sense to me. Recently, I was helping my daughter with her confirmation homework and read...

1 John 1:12-13
 12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:13Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Is it just me, or does anyone else read this as...

To anyone who listened and paid attention, he taught them the path of enlightenment. Which is not just from being born or from the ego, but with a little help from God.

What do you think? Am I reading too much into it?

Peace & Love,

Jeff

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  5:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff,
If you read the Indian version of the life of Jesus it is much different to the Christian writings.They believe that in his wilderness days he went to India and became a yogi, reaching enlightenment and returning to Jerusalem to spread the word.Much of the gospels hint at this and his teachings sound much the same as the yamas and niyamas to me.In the book ' An introduction to Kundalini Maha Yoga by Dhyanyogi Madhusudandasji' he says that the one touch healing that Jesus gave was actually shaktipat.The full story can be read on the website called 'Sacred Texts'
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  08:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dave,

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look it up.

Jeff

p.s. Found some other interesting ones. Will post later. Actually kind of fun to look. :-)
Go to Top of Page

WoodDragon

USA
56 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  09:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit WoodDragon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No matter what the path it leads to the same place.
Those who find enlightenment sound the same because they are the same.
What you are reading into the passage is what you need to read.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  09:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wooddragon,

That is a beautiful point. I guess we are all just coming from different perspectives.

The hunt continues...

Thanks, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

kevincann

USA
335 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  09:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by WoodDragon

No matter what the path it leads to the same place.
Those who find enlightenment sound the same because they are the same.
What you are reading into the passage is what you need to read.

Well said. One may turn away from confusion, into one's true Self, from staring at a Cracker Jacks prize, if long practice has made the nervous system ripe.

Love,

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  12:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Found another good one...

John 7:37-38
37 On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. 38 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.”

Sounds like...

To anyone who wants it and believes, I will give Shaktipat. That person will feel the vibrations of Kundalini in their heart.

Pretty cool

Peace & Love.
Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  06:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Jeff, enlightenment is enlightenment, it just seems different when cloaked in alternative cultural symbologies. When read with a yogic perspective there seem to be many similarities in the christian traditions of old. There are a few commentaries out there that breakdown the symbolism, the sermon on the mount according to vedanta by Prabhavananda is ok

http://www.amazon.com/Sermon-Mount-...p/0874810507

and the "second coming of christ" by Paramahnsa Yogananda. Yoganandas stuff is always great, this book is essentially a commentary on the bible according to yoga, Yoganada himself claims to have communed directly with christ during the writing of the book and that christ practiced a technique similar to spinal breathing, if ya think you could buy that then you might enjoy this read.

http://www.amazon.com/Second-Coming...p/0876125550

There is a bit on the forums re this topic as well, Kirtanman has really informative posts that shed light on religious symbology if your interested and there FREE

Peace dude, much love
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  11:30:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jamuna,

Thank for pointing me in the direction. I will check the books out.

Peace & Love back at ya!
Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  04:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi riptiz or Dave? Thanks for the "Sacred Text" link. I went there and it was sort of mind boggling! Where should I go to get all of this info about Jesus?Thanks.
nirmal
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  1:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nirmal,
I couldn't find the book on Sacred Texts but I did find this on Google which is the same one. http://www.rickrichards.com/jc/Jesus1.html

L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  02:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link, Davenirmal
Go to Top of Page

UK_Sadhu

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  5:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
27. "If you do not fast from the world, you will not find the (Father's) kingdom. If you do not observe the sabbath as a sabbath you will not see the Father." From the Gospel of Thomas.

It seems clear that to "fast from the world" is to meditate. Can it be coincidence that Jesus, Buddha & Muhammad all had their realizations after 40 days of praying & "fasting" in isolation?
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  10:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Or maybe LOTS of people have fasted and meditated for 40 days, and Jesus, Buddha & Muhammad were special, or more "ripe" from previous lives or experiences ("Relational").
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  07:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Fast" in that verse of the Gospel of Thomas could also be interpreted as to " separate yourself from the desires of the world".

Peace & Love.
Go to Top of Page

KundaNewb

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  9:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jeff, you may want to check-out Sex-The.Secret.Gate.to.Eden.2006. You can find pieces on youtube and the whole thing on the file-sharing networks. It's even worth buying, imo.
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  10:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I saw this so late. Great book "The Unknown Life of Jesus Christ." It was written in the 1880's by an explorer with no rel axe to grind.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000