Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Understanding Ego
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kevincann

USA
335 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  3:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

For thousands of years, "ego", or the protective function of the limited self, also known as the conditioned mind, has received a very bad rap amongst seekers.

We often have the attitude that ego is something that prevents spiritual experience, poisons our perceptions, and coats everything with a "stink" that we can all perceive, and thus assume that ego is "bad". This however is not true.

Human societal evolution has turned an innocent thing, a proper thing, into something that it need not be. The culprit is in fact religion, and the religious aspects of spiritual practice, and the very concept of "enlightenment".

Our very concepts of the infinite, the divine, the One, and "enlightenment" are the poison which has turned innocent ego, into a monster.

I am not saying that the One, that "God", that "Enlightenment" do not exist. I am saying that our concepts about them have poisoned ego, and made it into the monster with which we struggle. Together we created the monster; then we spend lifetimes trying to kill it.

A simple look at human evolution and a simple act of love, and what was a monster becomes a loyal friend.

In the beginning, natural instincts evolved to protect the body from predators. One can hardly fault this.

Later, as humans became more social, and survival of the individual depended upon properly integrating with the group, there was a natural need to "keep score", to "rate" others and "onself" in order to determine who was the leader, and to fit in, and not to be thrown out. Being thrown out led to death.

Even now, even in groups of spiritual seekers, this same mechanism can be seen in action.

It would have been better if spiritual intuition and the inner guru had been available to early man, but it was not. Evolution is not always pretty.. there are intermediate steps. This is how it is.

What matters is that we learn from the past, and stop making the same old mistakes that make our future difficult, when it need not be.

When we "believe" in God, Enlightenment and survival after death, we poison the ego. We pervert its natural function and throw ourselves into the wheel of karma for 1/2 of forever.

Once the ego sniffs power and surival past death, due to our inappropriate use of mind, it desperately seeks to survive forever.. it decides to replicate copies of itself into others (forcing "our" opinions onto others, and defending "our" views).

By screaming about the One, by screaming about non-duality and "our" divine nature, we poison ourselves; we create the monster.

To a Buddha there is neither God nor Not God. There is neither Enlightenment nor ignorance. There is nobody to argue with, there is nothing to defend. There is only love, which does not make distinctions about who to love.

A dear friend asked me what I had learned, under his wise teaching. I am writing a small fraction of it in this post. To summarize:

1) Defining God, Enlightenment and the One, and seeking unity as a personality that
survives death, poisons the ego.

2) The ego's original function was to protect the body; lovingly remind it, by talking to it as often as required, that it is a pretty ego, a lovely ego and that you thank it for protecting the body. Explain that other parts of the mind better protect the heart and the path. Be firm, but not demeaning.

3) The ego's next function, to track one's place in a group, to aid in survival, is no longer necessary or advisable. We have evolved a little. By becoming open gates for universal love, there is nobody to protect, nobody to suck up to, no hierarchy to join. There is only love. The most crusty hearts will open, and love will make the way open. Look at me. If love can flower in me, without limit or measure, love can flower in a rock or a turd. Lovingly tell ego, that universal love will protect the heart and the innermost essence. That universal love has the competency that ego does not. Tell the ego there is no shame in this. The ego is specialized to protect the body; Love-Kindness is specialized to protect the rest. Together the two makes a beautiful team.

4) If you wish to look at it this way, which may be useful for a scientific type, instincts based upon distinction of this vs. that, which later became the rational mind, the left brain hemisphere are indeed wonderful for protecting the body from physical attack. Instincts of an emotional, holistic variety, later evolved expression in the right hemisphere of the brain, our creatitive/holistic/spiritual center. This brain hemisphere evolved for this function, and when activated as a whole, is perfect for protecting and sustaining the social/spiritual life.

Once we are able to distinguish between the moon, and the finger pointing at the moon, and have the simple talk with our ego, then all the confusion, struggle and karma, life after life, starts to unwind. We become simple and overflowing with love.

It is tempting to rave about the silence, and to hope it will wash away ego, in the search to become godlike. Or we can use a tiny bit of common sense, learn the role of ego, and love ourselves, and short-circuit all the struggle and melodrama. Legitimate practice sometimes makes the ego craftier and stronger--not weaker...even within a respected instructor.

However my beloved instructor of AYP, has not fallen prey to this common trap, on the path to universal love. I am forever grateful to him.

I love you,

Kevin Cann

Pipedream

Bangladesh
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  6:48:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I fully agree, but I am new and lack understanding. Please tell me what is this thing you call ego?

Edited by - Pipedream on Nov 25 2011 6:57:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  9:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes, yet all comes from the same all. You call it Ego and self, others call it angels and demons, yin and yang, Jung calls it the shadow.

They are not separate they are polarised. Our thoughts are the product of both. Mind is the palette on which they mix and action is the expression of that.

So, it is not self that created the ego monster. It is a mixing which creates the joint action. Without this there would be no balance of thought, a positive and negative are needed to make current flow.

This is why it is necessary to create the single pointed mind as both sides will seek to destabilise any action which threatens ultimate survival. The creation of that single point in my own experience was a tough bit of negotiation and there has to be willing and unified agreement because it is not possible to nullify the polarities, only to co-operate in one area. Neither grasping nor rejecting thoughts with introverted senses creates this single point. Meditation is the key for many that unlocks the door, although in my case the breakthrough occurred outside of that arena.

The Yin Yang symbol is a symbol for this polarisation and how they are combined.
Go to Top of Page

Lodusflower

Thailand
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  08:02:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kevincann

I am very new to this path and website. When I read your words I feel like I have so much to learn. You seem to be filled with much wisdom.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000