Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Wow, what was that!?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mandala

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  10:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I wrote a few weeks ago about my spontaneous experiences or automatic yoga as Akasha pointed out here - http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=9534

The last couple of nights i've been drawn to the moon, I can REALLY 'feel' it and i've woken up because of it. But tonight just now i felt the strong urge to sit for meditation.

Now it's worth noting that I don't usually sit for meditation - I will explain below.

So i sat down then after a while I started doing a little Spinal Breathing Pranayama, then after a few moments my head started to fill with a sound like the wind - I'm not sure how else to describe it!

It happened before in India (in the middle of the night) after I read a shakti mantra in a book just before bed!

Also I have always been to produce this sound in my head if i so desire - I never really knew what it was but I guess it must have something to do with Kundalini??!! Maybe NADA?

I don't hear any other sounds in fact this is more of a physical occurance rather than just a sound - i feel it filling up my head.

I'm feeling more and more drawn to meditation lately - I mean just sitting with no agenda, no mantra, just sitting.

BUT. On the whole I really don't feel like I have the desire to go anywhere, or for any experience.... I've had many wonderful experiences but i'm not thirsting after them. Thats why I find it hard to be motivated for spiritual sadhana.

Also i feel i've kind of put myself in a corner after reading U.G Krishnamurti and J Krishnamurti - both of whom it seems are against sadhana. UG said actually that ANYTHING you do in that direction is counterproductive. He was surely a sage, although I know his view was quite extreme!

So I feel in a kind of funny situation - I totally appreciate where these anti-sadhana sages are coming from. Really I do. But then I keep having these automatic yoga things happening without having desired them, so I feel pushed towards sitting practices and everything this site is about!

I'm on the precipice! I don't desire these things, but I am grateful that I can see a world beyond the senses, feel blissful and to some degree help others.

I guess my main question is - what is that sound?! That might clear up some confusion.

I feel like I 'should' be doing a Sadhana but it seems like a lot to take on in my case without a Guru to guide me - it really doesn't take much for things to happen.

One more question is - Do I have an active Kundalini? In 2006 I experienced the 'merging with the birdsong' episode after mulabandha (see my other thread) and in 2008 I experienced what I can see described as Kevala Nirvikalpa Samadhi. I don't feel any of the classic 'electricity in the spine' symptoms that I read about after a kundalini awakening and YET if I had these Samadhis how can the Kundalini not be active. I am confused here. It takes a long time to understand from reading books - without a physical guru to talk about these things so maybe someone here knows?

Thanks!

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  03:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi mandala,

The sound is the Omkara nada, or Om for short. It is one symptom of the active kundalini. Nada means sound in sanskrit. The sound is caused by prana moving through the energetic pathways (nadis) of the body. You can enter samadhi without having an active kundalini, so samadhi is not an indication of kundalini being active. But repeated entry into samadhi will activate kundalini.

As for whether to do sadhana or not, it is easy for an enlightened sage to say that there is nothing to do, and nowhere to go, but for the rest of us, if we do nothing, we simply won't get there at all. Even the likes of J.J. Krishnamurti spent many years doing sadhana. I also do not recall him ever saying that you need do nothing to become enlightened. He encouraged people to meditate, and to realize the true nature of existence as love.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

mandala

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  05:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Its funny how once I phrase my questions, the universe conspires to provide the answers to me.

OM - "It is easy to recognize it in the Oglala Sioux medicine tale of "Jumping Mouse," in which the sound is likened to a rushing river." YES! it sounds like a rushing river! Although I can appreciate the audible sound AUM is somewhat like omkara.
Source - http://www.aum.info/

Then a window just 'popped up' out of the blue and presented me with the answer I was seeking:

"eventually even the impulse to become free, to be liberated, is surrendered as the impulsetendency to grasp, accumulate and change is eroded by the flowering of surrender. the ripening of surrender does not reqire the participation of our will or desire. it is the natural expresson of that which is expressing freely within the momentary context of an apparently individuated localised consciousness centre." Source: http://www.yogadarshana.com/pages/75.htm

Regarding the two Krishnamurti's, yes it is interesting to note that they both underwent intensive Sadhanas!

Edited by - mandala on May 15 2011 05:10:34 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000