Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Meditation and depression
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anita

USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  9:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am new to AYP and recently did the Kripalu retreat. I was meditating casually before that and found that it helped my the anxiety part of my depression. I am now meditating with the mantra twice a day. I am happy to say that the results are getting to be pretty dramatic. Just went for a second opinion on whether to continue antidepressant medication and the doctors seem to think I don't need it any more! Not only do I feel calmer and less irritable, what I did not expect is that I am starting to feel real joy - not only when I meditate but that spillover into my daily life that we talked about a lot at the retreat. Or maybe it's the beautiful spring that we are having this year. Anyway, I'll take it! I am more patient with people. Getting lots of insight into myself. Interesting purifying dreams - I would not have seen some of my disturbing dreams in such a positive light before but now there is no question in my mind that they are bringing out some old stuff and I can understand and appreciate them in a different way. I am pretty wowed by what has been happening to me since the retreat. There was an article in the New York Times this week outlining how meditation is related to relief of depression. Very interesting.

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  9:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Brilliant!!! Glad to read/hear this. I'm a keen AYPer and almost qualified mental health nurse, just did a dissertation on MBCT/mindfulness for depression. It is a possible future goal of mine to get a trial started with AYP meditation for all sorts of things, great to hear that AYP is helping you.

Love and Gratitude. x
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  10:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Anita!

I keep trying to write this post but nothing is coming out.... just a lot of smiling happening over here.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

kevincann

USA
335 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  11:48:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Anita,

The best news I've gotten all day.
Keep up the wonderful work.

-Kevin Cann
Go to Top of Page

psychicexplorer

USA
35 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  5:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit psychicexplorer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anita

I am new to AYP and recently did the Kripalu retreat. I was meditating casually before that and found that it helped my the anxiety part of my depression. I am now meditating with the mantra twice a day. I am happy to say that the results are getting to be pretty dramatic. Just went for a second opinion on whether to continue antidepressant medication and the doctors seem to think I don't need it any more! Not only do I feel calmer and less irritable, what I did not expect is that I am starting to feel real joy - not only when I meditate but that spillover into my daily life that we talked about a lot at the retreat. Or maybe it's the beautiful spring that we are having this year. Anyway, I'll take it! I am more patient with people. Getting lots of insight into myself. Interesting purifying dreams - I would not have seen some of my disturbing dreams in such a positive light before but now there is no question in my mind that they are bringing out some old stuff and I can understand and appreciate them in a different way. I am pretty wowed by what has been happening to me since the retreat. There was an article in the New York Times this week outlining how meditation is related to relief of depression. Very interesting.

Its kind of like what the Buddha said... "Contact conditions feeling , feeling conditions craving" ... and on and on through the stages of suffering and rebirth. I see that as when we hold a thought or mental object in mind such as our happiness or rather the things that make us unhappy whether they be physical sensations or thoughts, that mental "contact" with those objects leads to feeling depressed. This leads to craving for happiness or depression. From what I can tell, one reason AYP meditation helps with depression is because we take our mind and place our attention or contact on a mantra and over time this habit fuses to a certain degree with our memory of how we feel and have felt and before long we have taken away the focus from the depression (through lack of contact). Over time we no longer dwell on the memory of depression and our awareness is on our AYP work leading towards bliss. Perhaps this is obvious but I just thought I would share because I too have noticed a reduction in depression.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000