Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Second try with AYP practices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamil

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  3:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
First off, I would like to thank Yogani for making these lessons available to us, truly a wonderful, comprehensive repository of yoga practices. The second thing I wanted to say is how much enjoy reading all of the wisdom, advice, experiences, and humor on this forum. Makes my day to read some of your discussions.
When It comes yoga, I am a neophyte. Coming to AYP has opened my eyes to the effectiveness and practicality of yoga. The first time I tried the practices, I was able to do it for a few months or so and gained much benefit. I had plenty of energy (I was working anywhere from 115 hours to 147 hours every two weeks), felt revitalized, gradual steadiness of emotions, increased intuition among other things. I can say from that short period I did AYP practices, I was impressed with the results.
Why did I stop then? Discipline is not one of my strong suits. I have always been more of a dabbler, as a consequence I haven't gotten as far as I would like in my spiritual journey. The other roadblock has been my near life long episodes of depression. After a year of meandering and being miserable, I realize this is the best game in town and I might as well pony up and commit myself to lasting happiness/freedom.
I realize whatever little trepidations I may have is fear/ego, making its attempts to continue running my life. I feel like so much of my potential is being wasted, I understand AYP practices is about realizing our potentials at the highest levels while engaging, serving
one another. I have had glimpses of a more expanded state of being a few times in my life, it was sublime. Its amazing even with those experiences how I still chose to essentially continue with business as usual.
Despite that, I know all flowers bloom in their own time. I know for me this time is now. I am ready to commit to the journey and participate in this great community. There is power in numbers, something special is happening here in the AYP community. Something I want to be apart of.

Namaste
Jamil

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  08:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forums. Jamil.

I know how hard it is to stick with something. I have been that way all my life too and depression was also a huge part of my life. Belonging to the AYP community was a big part of getting me motivated and keep me motivated to staying with my practices. After a while, of making myself do the practices consistently, it has really become a part of my life like brushing my teeth.

So I wish you all the best. Share your thoughts with us here and there many here will support you to stick with your practices till you can sustain this on your own.

Wish you all the best in your chosen path.
Go to Top of Page

Jamil

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  11:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Shanti, I know I made the right choice joining the community. With all the positive vibes here and good ole self discipline I will make it through. Again thank you.

Namaste
Jamil
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  2:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Jamil

Beautiful post. Thank you!

I'm happy you've decided to give it a serious try. It took me a few years to commit to AYP. But once I did and got stable in my practice, wonderful changes started happening in my life very quickly.

Some of us have overcome depression using the techniques here, so you're in good company at least .

Wish you a beautiful journey!

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Jamil

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  2:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Cosmic, I realize after so many years searching and finding AYP that it has everything I am looking for in a practice/lifestyle. Which brings me to this question and anyone can chime in. At what point did AYP become more than a set of tools for "enlightenment" but a lifestyle? Is this something inherent in the tools themselves that take on a lifestyle direction, was it a conscious decision or can the you maintain that separate functioning (btw i believe given the nature of the practices and their results, its impossible for it not to become a lifestyle)

Just wondering when did practicing yoga become that something more, tha something you "just do"?

Namaste
Jamil
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  4:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jamil

It's good to read your post, thank you for sharing that.

Lifelong episodes of depression: I too suffer from this, and historically have been suicidal, and completely stricken. I must say over my 9 months of AYP practise, suddenly I've had weeks or sometimes months without suffering from a single depressive episode, or low mood. Depression, in my view, is like a friendly reminder that you are here to awaken - it causes you to keep searching yourself, to look deeply and to find a purely unaware, earthly life unsatisfying. It gives you the emotional fuel, the longing for something else, which is necessary to die to the world and awaken to the divine. Depression is a divine blessing.

I'm glad to hear you are ready to commit, as I associate deeply with what you said, and wish you the best. Similarly, inconsistency has been a problem for me in the past. Having these forums has helped immensely, as I read about other passing through various 'enlightenment milestones', I find myself ever more motivated and filled with longing for awakening, and end to suffering for all.

Edited by - mr_anderson on Apr 27 2011 4:24:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jamil

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  4:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm Divine blessing I like that. If I look back on my life to the darkest times and see what i have chosen for myself now. I realize its part of the process to some degree. I don't do what ifs with my life. My Mom always told me if you go back and wished you had something a particular way, who's to say you would have been ready for it at that time.

I believe AYP showed up in my life at the perfect time for me. Even though I didn't stick with it the first time, I knew it was there. When I was ready as I am now, I just made that jump.

Namaste
Jamil
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  5:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jamil

Just wondering when did practicing yoga become that something more, tha something you "just do"?

For me, it was when I realized that true (i.e. unconditional) happiness could be discovered through deep meditation. And that realization came naturally with time and practice.

At some point, inner silence took over. I'm not searching for anything anymore, but I find that practices still happen twice a day (for the most part ).

With Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Jamil

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  5:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So cosmic you mean at some point that inner silence etc. became self perpetuating so to speak. In that it became a directing or guiding force for lack of a better word, in your life? I get that we still have to practice even with the presence of inner silence. Does it motivate in and of itself or is it the benefits of that inner silence that motivates? Is inner silence active in that way?

Sorry for sounding stupid with the questions, just trying to learn.

Namaste
Jamil
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  01:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No worries, Jamil. These are great questions

quote:
Originally posted by Jamil

Does it motivate in and of itself or is it the benefits of that inner silence that motivates? Is inner silence active in that way?

Sorry, I expressed it unclearly when I said "inner silence took over". When inner silence became a daily experience for me, it felt like I was witnessing my body and mind from a separate place. I feel a force moving the body, as though the body is moving on its own and "I" am just along for the ride. Just watching from within

Before that shift happened, the benefits of inner silence did motivate me to practice. Now, I wouldn't say inner silence motivates me. More like the practices now have their own momentum, to where it doesn't feel like such an effort.

Namaste [img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Jamil

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  01:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful response cosmic. Makes sense now.

Namaste
Jamil
Go to Top of Page

anita

USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  3:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Jamil- I was an on and off, very casual meditator for many many years. It did me some good but I only went there when I was under real stress and really needed it. Have struggled with depression also and am coming back to regular meditation now. I don't see it as discipline because I love my meditation time, it is time away from the hassles and irritations of the day-to-day. I almost feel guilty about how good it feels, it is my escape from the daily grind but everyone including my husband says they see a change in me, a positive change. I am less irritable, calmer, happier, and happy to report about to go off antidepressant meds. I can't stop meditating!!! So I guess it has become a lifestyle.
Go to Top of Page

Jamil

USA
14 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  02:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's great to hear Anita. I think its a testament to you desire for change along with the power of these yoga practices, that the improvements in your life are happening. Keep plugging away, I am sure more wonderful blessings await you on your journey

Take Care
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000