Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 progression mantra vs breath meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boris

Norway
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  8:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit boris's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,I have done breath meditation before.now I have done mantra (Iam) for some months.I like the mantra meditation very much,and I feel like it builds more energy pressure in the body than breath meditation.The pressure feels like the key to activate the spine and pleasant feelings.Breath meditation on the other hand felt deeper,a more buzzing and dizzie feeling.and the breath meditation always seemed to progress going deeper and deeper every week.My question is:Is the more progress generally with watching the breath meditation than with Mantra?

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  12:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello boris,

Sorry to hijack your thread.. I am posting this as I found something relevant in what I was about to ask.

When we feel pressure inside the head because of I AM mantra meditation, how can this become pleasurable ? Sometimes we feel heavy headed because of energy getting "struck" there and still it feels like gross energy without any bliss or elevated states of awareness ! Once the energy starts rolling, what does in our biology change to convert into blissful energy rather than like an electrical shock or pressure constantly under buzz in your head?

I have a second part to the question which I will post after getting some feedback or in a seperate thread. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  5:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Boris,

In my experience there is progress with any kind of meditation. No matter what type of meditation you choose, you will get better with practice and more progress will be made over time. From my perspective, mantra meditation is the the most efficient (fastest) way to progress particularly for those new to meditation and those with lot's of thoughts/ busy minds. There is a deep component to mantra meditation that is achieved with more frequency in a sitting session than breath meditation from my perspective and experience in practicing both.

Breath meditation is still object based so there is still lot's of progress, but I would think for most people, they don't transcend the mind as frequently as they would with mantra meditation due to times when breath suspends. When breath suspends, then breath meditation becomes more like mindfulness meditation and the tendency to take mental side-trips into thoughts is probably a common occurrence for most people without an object to come back to.

My perspective is that mindfulness meditation would be slower for those new to meditation or with very busy minds. It seems however that it can also yield very good results at a particular stage when witnessing is very established. Thoughts rise and dissolve and one can become more aware of all the subtle objects of the mind for what they are and witnessing can deepen. Thoughts also dissolve and lose significant amounts of energy and power due to acceptance and simple witnessing. It also creates a habit of acceptance throughout the day and I think mantra meditation can occasionally lead to avoidance of some thoughts inadvertently.

So they all have benefits and consequences. Sticking to one for an extended period of time (years) would be my recommendation and then your inner compass can guide you as need be.

Best of luck!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000