Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Stillness of Body
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamil

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  3:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
As I am restarting my AYP practices, Besides the stillness of my mind for periods of time, The other quality I have noticed is stillness in my body if that makes sense. In the mornings when I wake up I do deep meditation then afterwords I do my an exercise routine (Intuflow) to get me back into my body and start my day off right.

This combination I noticed today produced a very nice stillness in my body. Hard to put into words but of course there is movement in my mind and my body but I am aware that these movements occur against this backdrop of stillness. Great feeling because while I feel connected to my body, I don't feel bound by it. Does that make sense?

I don't wanna live in those states of consciousness where I am disconnected continually from my body nor do I wanna feel bound by it either. The body serves a very useful purpose namely Life! I guess this whole process is about putting everything in its proper context. The body and the ego aren't necessarily obstacles to be dissolved but they need to be put in their proper place, I guess.

This stillness of body works great because I practice a survival system/martial art called Systema. The philosophy of survival is that the body already knows what to do, there is an innate wisdom we have for survival. Basically a process of intuitive survival. All our drills and attribute development is aimed unlocking that through diminishment of fear, ego, and tension. There is more to it than that but I dont wanna make this a Systema thread. I just wanted to point out how stillness being the absence or the marked reduction of fear, ego and tension has had a profound benefit in my life.

Namaste
Jamil

maynard

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  10:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit maynard's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well it sounds like your on the right track. You have peaked my interest in that your martial arts style. Thanks for sharing your progress.
Go to Top of Page

Jamil

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  11:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Maynard, I sent you an email with a link to some videos and articles on Systema that might be of interest. Enjoy
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  04:14:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jamil
This stillness of body works great because I practice a survival system/martial art called Systema. The philosophy of survival is that the body already knows what to do, there is an innate wisdom we have for survival.

I don't know about Systema but I remember when I was in China, we had these lessons during our Sword training.

First, we did our meditation to reach the perfect Still state. Then we picked our swords and fought with the opponent (who was also in the same state).

The biggest surprise here was that both of us (me and opponent) knew what our next moves were going to be. The thinking process was not involved at all.

The bodies fought themselves (automatically) and we just remained witness to our actions and the striking sound of our swords. Its like two bodies but one soul... in a perfect Synch.

So instead of fighting... it was more like dancing.

The first one to lose its Stillness was considered the loser. So we used to fight for hours and days without break.

Go to Top of Page

Jamil

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  12:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it makes so much sense. Like a dance. Thats the highest level in the martial arts, shave off all obstructions so there is nothing but unbounded freedom in action. I believe we have many entry points during this existence to experience and journey to expanded states of consciousness. To me martial arts can be a high form of bodywork in order to swim in the ocean of higher consciousness. When I do Systema I don't look at it primarily as self defense. I look at it as bodywork a process of unbinding myself, so that i may be unbounded in my doing and non doing.

Namaste
Jamil
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  02:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great!

"If one can attain purposelessness through purpose, then the thing has been grasped. Now one can let oneself go, detached and without confusion, in an independent way."
~Lu Tsu : The Secret of Secrets Vol. 2
http://www.oshoworld.com/e-books/se...search_title

"When the opponent expand, I contract.
When he contracts, I expand.
And when there is an opportunity,
I do not hit -- it hits all by itself."

~Bruce Lee

Go to Top of Page

WoodDragon

USA
56 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  07:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit WoodDragon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also begin my day with stillness meditation, then move on to other exercises including physical. If i have the time I sneak in a little extra stillness after as well. I find this brings my body and mind into harmony which makes my higher self happy. I know what you mean Jamil about being disconnected, I have noticed that many people seem to associate detachment with disconnection and this is a false association (as are most associations, have you noticed?) and in my view to reach for disassociation to achieve detachment is to grasp for the wrong thing. Of course one does not reach for detachment in any case, one surrenders to the Truth.
Go to Top of Page

Jamil

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  2:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes totally agree about the disassociation v detachment angle. To me detachment denotes the outcome of being in a state of consciousness where you are dead center, where the ebbs and flow of life doesn't take you off that center
Disassociation to me is a step a way from truth in that you are not fully embracing the fullness of reality in any given moment.

Manigma, Great passage from Osho and I love that Bruce Lee Quote. Thats stillness in action, martial action (at the highest level) but it comes from the same underlying reality as everything. Good catch

Namaste
Jamil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000