Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Meditation & Terrestrial Time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rishi

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  7:59:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Greetings!

I was curious about the dynamics of the real vs perceived time during deep meditation as experienced by others in the forum.

On several occasions in the past I have come out of stillness and seen clock time elapsed far more than I would have guessed it would ("It has been an hour already !")

Recently I am observing the opposite when I come out of the still state (" It has only been five minutes ! - It seemed like an hour !"

I must add that I have very pleasurable sensation in sixth and seventh Chakra with gentle energy flow through the spine during meditation which I try not to get (too much) attached to.

Will be curious to know what others have experienced..

Regards,
Rishi

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  8:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rishi

Yesterday I was in a group meditation and 20 minutes flew by; to me it felt like 10 minutes. To everyone else's disappointment they didn't experience the same time void. They were quite bored

Other times it has been the complete opposite.

But at the end of the day its all purification and opening. There will be many, many more ups and downs. You know what I am going to say next regarding your energy sensations - just keep going back to the mantra .

Take care
Go to Top of Page

Rishi

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  10:09:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Woosa !
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  10:43:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rishi and Woosa,

Yes exactly. It's the gentle "just keep going back to" that drives the whole process. It's not about the sensation, or ups and downs. Even awareness and inner "centeredness" afterward come from the "going back to", not from noticing/not-noticing friction during meditation.
Quite some friction comes from detaching and letting go of old hangups at deeper and deeper levels. In contrast, detaching from everyday matters and thoughts (this afternoon's shopping list, etc.) usually brings about much shorter periods of friction. That's why you can run into a lot of friction or fatigue at a retreat or long meditation; the mantra just works deeper than during standard daily practice.

In a combined session (pranayama, asana, meditation) we likely face less friction (and time seems to go faster) in the last step (meditation, in my case) than in a one-step practice because each one paves the way (prepares the mind) for the next one.

My 2 c.

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Apr 21 2011 11:04:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rishi

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  1:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Hatha. Yes friction can surely be one of the factors. Rather, the smoothness of the experience if I may say :)

Can there also be a play of micro vs macro cosmos in this ? Finer Aakash vs Expansive space/silence ?

And this is intuitive speculation - time in micro space may be faster than terrestrial time unlike the expansive space which may have an opposite effect.

Can this be a function of the 'space' that we experience during meditation ?

Thoughts ?

Best,
Rishi
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  2:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, smoothness often comes from less depth or shorter duration, or simply from having paved the way by pranayama and asana. Either way, the scenery is not the point, so the response is always the gentle "keep going back to".

In meditation (or combined practice), both thoughts and body processess gradually relax and slow down. Hence a breath or a pulse (a "micro time" unit) takes a longer time, measured in seconds ("macro time" unit).
Therefore, IMO., sensations like a shift in time (or cessation of time) aren't just "made up" by the mind; likely, they're signalling these changes in real, physical processes in the body.

A common belief among ancient yogis was that a human life was to last for a fixed number of breaths; pranayama exercise and conscious breathing thus made life longer (measured in years and days) - directly, not only through preventing disease.

Calender time itself is a little imprecise also (plus if we have a physicist around, they might make some amazing points on things like relativity or superposition).

Astronomically, 1 year = 365.24 days is still just a rouded value. Also, the orbital speed of the Earth around the Sun is not quite constant, some days are really a little longer (a bigger fraction of a year) and some are shorter (smaller fraction), as planets in elliptical orbits around the Sun travel faster at perihelion, which is their closest point to the Sun, and slower at aphelion. (With the Moon, the roles are reversed, Earth being the large body; thus the Moon travels faster around the Earth at perigee, causing the Earth to slow down very slightly).
Go to Top of Page

Rishi

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  2:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Hatha ! Yes the 'slowing down' is what I had heard (and experienced)until recently. My current curiosity is about 'speeding up' that I have started observing lately :)

Honesty, as an actively working professional, I do not mind it :). A five minutes meditation session now gives the 'satisfaction' that I used to get through a much longer session. Seems like I was 'gone' for a long long time but actually it was just a few minutes. Sort of a Yogic power nap :)

I wanted to run this by others in the forum if others have similar experience ..

Best,
Rishi
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  02:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a Third eye experience about 5 years ago.

I suddenly lost sense of time. Which year, what day? A very strange state. Everything looked more vivid and colorful. I possessed thrice more strength than before.

I was given anaesthetics but they failed and I remained awake all the time. Then I was taught a grounding technique which re-adjusted my time memory and I became normal.

So this is definitely something related with the Third Eye. Which as you might know is also called 'The eye of Kalika'.

Kalika means 'time-eater': one who eats time. We all live in time, we are born in time and we will die in time and we will be born in time again. This wheel of time goes on moving. 'Kalika' means: one who has eaten birth and death and this whole wheel of time, for whom time has disappeared and eternity has opened up.
~ Osho

Go to Top of Page

Rishi

USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  1:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing your experience Manigma. Existence without time - how wonderful !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000