AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Giving up AYP for Lent
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  12:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello friends

I have decided to give up AYP for Lent. In the Christian tradition there is a time leading up to Easter when we are invited to give up something. Lots of people give up chocolate. One year when I was really into the TV show Simpsons every weekday. I gave up watching Simpsons for Lent. This year, I am feeling led to give up AYP for Lent -- give up participation on this forum (as of 24 hours from now), and give up all specifically AYP practices until April 23, 2011.

This is not "self-pacing" -- it is following a spiritual leading.

Love, Peace, and Light,

Be

Edited by - bewell on Mar 14 2011 12:39:20 PM

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  12:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
All the best Bewell!
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  12:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is truly a sacrifice!

If you don't mind, I will join you. Too much AYP desire.

Peace & Love, Jeff

Edited by - jeff on Mar 14 2011 1:00:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  1:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

That is truly a sacrifice!

I'm laughing out loud I don't mind if you join me in this time letting go.

Edited by - bewell on Mar 14 2011 1:14:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

psychicexplorer

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  10:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit psychicexplorer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am going to give up praying and helping others for lent.
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  10:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Any of you would give up giving-up for Lent? haha, just kidding.
Giving it up in our ego is harder than giving up the action...
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  06:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Would one give up taking showers or brushing the teeth? What about the nervous, energy, emotional and mental systems -- are they not more important in requiring upkeep?

Seems a bit contradictory to give up the tools for attuning oneself with the Christ consciousness within for the commemoration of Christ.. Kind of like saying "Ok i'm gonna go climb that hill but i'll cut off my legs before i go"

Edited by - Chiron on Mar 19 2011 06:25:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  9:05:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My friend Be,

Would you care to share your experience, now that Lent is over? I would love to hear about it.

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  01:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cosmic,

It is a joy to hear from you. Thanks for asking about my experience "giving up AYP for Lent."

Some people responding to my post seemed to think that I was giving up yoga or giving up meditation. That is not what I meant. All I said I "giving up for Lent" was AYP practices, by that I meant specifically AYP style DM and SBP. Sorry if that was misleading.

During lent, I did a meditation practice: 20 minute twice daily meditation sits (watching my out-breath). I also continued my weekly asana practice in the Baltimore jail outreach as led by Peace in Baltimore. I also continued with self-inquiry between sits.

Looking back, I can say that I also remained aware broadly of Yogani's notion of yoga as a path of daily practices that leads to an the transformation of the human nervous system in a cosmic marriage of ecstatic conductivity and bliss consciousness.

I think I was starting to come across as dogmatic in my approach to AYP as I represented myself as "bewell" on the forum. Before Lent, I was watching my "bewell" persona become inauthentic in that respect. I loved AYP teachings/practices and still do, but it got out of proportion for me somehow. I don't see myself as very gifted as a salesman, promoter. I don't want to push a program on anyone, or defend a single path exclusively. Most of all, for Lent, I was taking a break from the "bewell" persona I was identified with. That letting go helped me breathe a little easier.

Love,

Be

Edited by - bewell on May 14 2011 03:27:02 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000