Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Second meditation: after work vs. before bed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Assorted Vibrations

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  01:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have always meditated after work, around 5pm or 6pm. However, recently the recovery period after my morning meditation has been lasting until at least 10pm or 11pm (I believe this is due to a newly increased effectiveness of the 20 minute session). My question is: do I decrease meditation times in order to keep the sessions in the morning and evening as is the ideal, or do I have my second meditation after 11pm so that I can continue with 20 minute sessions and fit more meditation into each 24 hour period? Thanks very much to everyone for helping me out.

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  07:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Joshua and welcome to the forums,

Would you mind to specify what you mean by "recovery period," pls? What is it that lasts till 11pm?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  07:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If I had the choice I would do your 20 min deep meditation (and anything else) followed by 5-10 mins recovery.

If you need more time to recover then I would decrease your meditating time (or anything else) by half. You may be an over sensitive meditator, or not. Is that why you need longer rest?

Meditating too late in the day will not be as effective as in the evening.

"If it is impossible to meditate at the regular time, consider doing it at another time during the day, earlier or later. Don't make a habit of meditating right before bed though. It is better than not meditating at all, but it is much better to go into activity after meditation. The purification process and integration of consciousness in the nervous system is best accomplished during activity rather than in sleep. In fact, meditating right before bed might keep you awake for a while. Try it sometime and see what happens."
http://www.aypsite.org/18.html
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  11:04:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How long do you rest after your morning session? It's possible you're not getting enough rest, hence the feeling of recovering all day long.

Love
Go to Top of Page

Assorted Vibrations

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  3:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all of the replies. Let me try to clear some of the questions up.

minirom asked what do I mean by recovery periods. After meditation (and after the rest period as well) the nerves all over my body feel a nice buzz. My head also feels this buzz but it is more concentrated to the point of being a charge. As far as I can sense, the charge is over time consumed by my nerves, however, this takes hours. If I meditate again before the charge has at least mostly faded, then I have experienced an overdoing which creates headaches and a lack of the usual feelings of wellbeing.

woosa and cosmic mentioned rest time. I always give myself ten minutes of rest after I finish my five minute samyama (my final sitting practice).

Thanks for the quote. That was what I had been thinking about. I definitely trust Yogani to know what I he is talking about. I partly just wanted to hear any personal experiences that some people may have had. Longer and deeper meditations each day without overdoing it seems to be in the spirit of self-pacing but conflicts with the timing and I am curious just how the benefits of each weigh out.

Thanks everybody!
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  7:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
See what you mean now. I thought you were resting up for an hour afterwards!

Maybe try 10-15 mins of meditating twice a day and see what you are like. In the morning and the evening, before a meal. Or maybe just once in the morning for 20 mins, or 10 mins. You know yourself more than I do, so its best to experiment and see what works for you.

http://www.aypsite.org/365.html

and the suceeding lessons could shine some light on your problem.

My practice consisted of asanas, spinal breathing, chin pump, meditation, kumbhaka and samyama. Phew.

Now I can't even half glance at a 1% spiritual new agey book without getting a migraine! All i do now is meditating, but its enough! So don't worry about effectiveness.

Maybe dropping the samyama for a while will help with your vibrating.

Edited by - woosa on Mar 09 2011 7:30:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Assorted Vibrations

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  02:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I will try cutting down meditation times for awhile and see how it works out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000