Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Concentration before Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wanders

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  01:30:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

In the book Concentration by Mouni Sadhu there are simple techniques used to concentrate the mind. I've read from many sources that before meditation the mind should be under the control of the practicioner. Is repeating the mantra at ease really concentration?

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  02:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wanders

Welcome to AYP Support Forum.

The central practice in AYP is the cultivation of inner silence through Deep Meditation. It is done twice daily. Yogani explains that he does not use the word "concentration" in his teaching on meditation technique because he wants to avoid confusion with other meditation methods. Nevertheless, he does say that the rise of inner silence results in improved concentration:

"Concentration means intense or complete attention. As we advance in our practices and experiences, inner silence continues to rise and stabilize in us, with many benefits. One of those benefits is the ability to increasingly focus attention like a laser beam on any task or object for an extended period of time. In other words, over time, yoga vastly increases our power of concentration. This ability to concentrate is an effect of yoga practices, which, in turn, becomes a cause in all that we undertake in life. An increased ability to concentrate is a practical benefit coming from yoga, one of many."
http://www.aypsite.org/317.html

Does that answer your question?
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  07:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wanders. I think it sounds very good in theory to have the mind under control. But if we were to wait for that fleeting moment in order to practice, I don't think we will be very regular in our efforts. In fact, I have serious doubts whether the mind can ever truly be brought under control at all. It seems to me like a force of nature like the wind or rain. We can learn how to utilize it and harness it's power, but can we ever really control it? Improved concentration is certainly a benefit of meditation practice. Whether it is cause or effect, or both, I'm really unsure of.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  08:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wanders
Is repeating the mantra at ease really concentration?

Far from it.

It somehow reminded me of this:

A particular sound is related to a particular feeling, and it is never otherwise. So if you create that sound within you, that feeling will be created. You can use any sound, and then the related feeling will be created around you. That sound creates the space to be filled by a particular feeling.

So this "I am," the remembering of "I am," is not a verbal mantra. It is not going to be repeated verbally -- feel it! Be sensitive to your being. This feeling, this sensitivity must penetrate deeper and deeper into your mind.

Then one day you will awaken at your center, functioning for the first time. And then the whole world becomes a dream, then you can know that your dreaming is a dreaming. And when you know that your dreaming is a dreaming, dreaming stops. It can continue only if it is felt as real. It is stopped if it is felt as unreal.

And once dreaming stops in you, you are a different man. For the first time you become aware; for the first time in the whole world that is asleep, you are awake. You become an awakened one.

[Osho - The Book of Secrets]

I am.

Go to Top of Page

Wanders

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  10:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for your answers. I was having the same thoughts about the mind being like a force of nature, and not wanting to dominate it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000