Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Difference between 2nd/3rd mantra enhancements?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  1:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello friends

In your experience, how significant is the difference between the 2nd and 3rd mantra enhancements?

2nd enhancement:
Shree Om Shree Om I Am I Am Namah

3rd enhancement:
Shree Om Shree Om I Am I Am Namah Namah

Since the only difference is an additional "Namah", is it safe to upgrade sooner than with the earlier enhancements?

I've been on the 2nd enhancement for 2 months, and because I know the 3rd, I sometimes have to stop myself from throwing in that second "Namah".

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

With Love
cosmic

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  1:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi cosmic

The main difference in my experience has had to do with purification of my nervous system, clearing obstructions, etc.. For me, the meditation qualities haven't changed much. Although at first, i had multiple thought loops occuring simultaneously with the first mantra (this was not a "problem", sometimes I go into silence and be, and come back to mind, finding the stories continuing:) ..after that settled down some, i went to the second mantra...and to third when i felt that i was ready for it (self-pacing :) Lately, ive been using the 1st or the 3rd, and sometimes only the feeling I Am. But mainly i consider the second Namah to increase purification on a day to day basis.. Hope this helps

Love

Edited by - chas on Mar 07 2011 2:00:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  10:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic
I've been on the 2nd enhancement for 2 months, and because I know the 3rd, I sometimes have to stop myself from throwing in that second "Namah".

The additional Namah in 3rd takes you further deep. In my opinion you should not try to stop yourself if you feel comfortable with it.

Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  12:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, chas and manigma

Both replies are indeed helpful.

quote:
Originally posted by manigma

In my opinion you should not try to stop yourself if you feel comfortable with it.

Ah, good point. I'll go with the 2nd Namah if it "wants" to come up again. Who knows? Maybe the mantra will enhance itself on its own!

Thank you guys. Much Love [img]icon_heart.gif[/img]

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  06:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,

I started with I AM, and continued for over a year. I then changed to the 1st enhancement and am still with it for over 18 months. I am not sure I understand when to change to the next enhancement. Any suggestions are welcome.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  11:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Krish

Do you feel drawn to changing the mantra? If the desire to change it keeps coming up, but you feel you can live without it, that's a good indicator.

I stayed with the original "I AM" mantra for 5+ years before I even had any curiosity about the enhancements. I only started adding mantra enhancements when I no longer wanted to add to my practice time, but my bhakti was still pushing me forward. So it was partly a practical matter as well.

If you feel stable, 18 months on the same mantra seems like a safe time period to upgrade, IMO. Hope this is helpful in some way.

With Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  07:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cosmic,

Thanks for responding. Actually, I changed to the 2nd mantra without any urge to do so, but only because I felt I was not making progress. Subsequently, after a good 12 months or so, I made progress in terms of getting massive energy movements for the first time since I started AYP over 4 yrs. ago, for about a month. Now, for over 3 months, these have almost ceased and I feel stuck again. So I was wondering if a second enhancement would help.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  08:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go for it Krish!!!
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  12:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti, Cosmic,

I was just wondering. What we call meditation is, we now know, after all, only "dharana", which is really "holding onto one thought", till dhyana or meditation "happens". And one thought has to be the same thought and not changing from one thought to another to a third, which is really what must happens when we think a long mantra like, "shree shree I am I am' etc. I would welcome a discussion on this.

Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Mar 11 2011 02:56:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  12:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In AYP, mantra meditation is not just about dharana, it is also working with the vibrational qualities of the mantra.
Take a look at this lesson and see if it helps.

http://www.aypsite.org/188.html
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  02:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi shanti,

But are there vibrations even when mentally chanting?
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  10:07:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by krcqimpro1

Hi Shanti, Cosmic,

I was just wondering. What we call meditation is, we now know, after all, only "dharana", which is really "holding onto one thought", till dhyana or meditation "happens". And one thought has to be the same thought and not changing from one thought to another to a third, which is really what must happens when we think a long mantra like, "shree shree I am I am' etc. I would welcome a discussion on this.

Krish

I think this is something that can be looked at from many different perspectives. What constitutes a thought? The entire mantra could be considered to be one thought, or each word could be considered to be a separate thought. If we examine even closer, maybe we could even consider each individual letter to be a separate thought. Even a monosyllable like aum could be broken down and subdivided into an infinite number of thought-moments in that way. It all just depends on how you choose to look at it.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  11:39:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by krcqimpro1

Hi shanti,

But are there vibrations even when mentally chanting?

Hi Krish,
Yes, absolutely. A though is the vibration before the word. It is at a very subtle level, and the more subtle the thought the more powerful it is in stillness. The mantra repeated in the mind or a sutra picked up in the mind and dropped are all thoughts... and the more fuzzy we can get with it without losing it, the more powerful it gets.

Take a look at this post where Yogani explains the energy before the thought. :
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3489#30424

quote:
Originally posted by yogani

quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

"Getting" samyama played a big part in getting this. In Samyama tho.. we pick the word and drop it and rest in the silence and feel the silence move outwards (at least that is what I do).. in this case tho it's slightly reversed.. it is while I pick the thought (word) I stop. It almost feels like.. since I was going to bring up a thought and did not do so.. I feel like I have access to the energy that was going to be used to make that thought (maybe that is why Louis, you felt the energy in your sutra).

Hi Shanti and All:

Recall that the original instruction for picking up a sutra in samyama is to pick it up at a very faint and fuzzy level. This can also be interpreted to mean "the energy before the thought."

Few can do this in the beginning, so we go through the procedure in fairly external and clunky ways in the mind for a while. But, in time, the procedure refines, as is the case in all practices, and then we are touching those sutras before they become objects in the mind, just as you are describing. And, yes, then we have access to much more energy in practice ... and in daily activity as the habit of samyama becomes gradually more prevalent in our everyday life.

The more we are picking up pre-thought, the more powerful samyama is, and the less we are grinding on gross thinking in the body-mind. This is a natural evolution that comes with deep meditation (cultivating the witness) and samyama (cultivating action from within the witness). It can't be forced. It is an evolution in stillness. We just favor less, and less will gradually come. And, as we know, less is more.

Go to Top of Page

Chrisk

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  08:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Since I' ve been working on the longer mantras, I can testify - and Yogani also mentions - that the shorter mantra has more lock with the breath so it is better in some sense especially for advanced users. The longer mantras obviously do not have such effect on the breath so they are more free and better for starting individuals in meditation. Now, I' m not sure why Yogani would give a mantra that has Sri and Om in it when these I learned that involve the head chakra directly which would be not desireable for beginners, but basically other traditions also use the Om part, but not the Sri, so the Om would seem ok.
Chris.
======
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000