Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Being Yourself
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  02:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I dont know whether it is a result of practices or not, but recently I am realizing that I (and most people in general) live life for others than for themselves. We waste a lot of time considering what others might think and try to live life to be in synch with that image of ourselves. We do things not because we want to do them but because others might think bad if we dont do them. Few have the courage to live life according to our own terms and not care about society or others. Have the courage to accept & portray what we are, both our good and bad and just behave as ourselves. Have the courage to be the same person both inside and outside; when someone is watching and when nobody is watching. To say what we mean and to mean what we say. To say "I love you" because you mean it and not for making others happy. To work for yourself and not because your boss is watching. To invite friends home for lunch because you like to have them than just for making them feel good.

Just wanted to share with you all and know your thoughts on this

- Near

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  10:33:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very good point. We all need to love ourselves before we can really love others.

Peace & Love.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  1:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well there are viewpoints from which you can see these things differently and it depends where you want to watch from.

You dance to your own beat. The illusion is believing that others see you in 'such and such a way ' and therefore it is the false belief that you act on. In effect you hallucinate. It takes courage to admit that these are false illusions, simply thoughts running through your mind. Even the thought of 'acting like my true self' is another illusion. Until you know what is true it is just another thought, how can you act any other way when you are at the mercy of thoughts.

The illusion extends beyond even that and this is something that can be discovered through steady practise of meditation. There are many other ways.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  5:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Near,
So beautiful that you see this.

Yes, we are constantly trying to change ourselves to fit into a role we have defined for ourselves... that we never get a chance to be ourselves. This realization will help you open... you really don't have to go out of your way stop being a friend and son and brother and husband and dad, you just have to be aware you are playing a role, and not keep yourself bound by ideas of what that role should be. Then you can be a better friend and son and brother and husband and dad.

Like I had written in these 2 posts:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=4768
and
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=4768#48756

"These lines (from Atmashatakam) started off meaning I am not physically any of my labels.. but right now it is more a case of I am not bound by the "idea" I have of these labels. When I drop my boundaries, I can be all of my labels and yet not be bound to any one of them. We don't have to renounce the world, just our ideas of the world."

Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  6:58:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Near, Yeah I know what you say!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000