New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

skater1287

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  1:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys,
I've started doing asanas in the morning and have come across a lot of muscle imbalance in the legs.
I used to bike and exercise a lot from teen years so its not a surprise. But My quads (thighs) are basically too muscular and I cannot straighten my knees and do most forwards bends. Sitting poses like Full lotus are also difficult because the quads are always pulling my legs outward. My hamstrings and inner thighs can't compete with the quads unfortunately therefore they keep knocking me off.
I'm in decent shape otherwise and am trying to establish a stable routine but this has been a big obstacle from the base up.

Can anybody suggest some asanas or a good way to handle this? I will continue doing asana daily and I appreciate your feedback if anybody has had this problem as well.

Thanks in advance!

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  3:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi skater1287!

CarsonZi provided some great instruction for forward bends in the thread
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=9102#78764

My advice is not to worry about imbalances (they will diminish with consistent practice), go to a few classes if possible to get hands on advice from an experienced teacher and get a good hatha book for reference. My favorite is
http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Spirit-P...78151&sr=8-1
But there are many excellent hatha books to choose from.

Welcome to the AYP forums!
Go to Top of Page

Hussey01

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  07:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there,Yes I do agree with the comments that at the early stage muscles imbalance may be there but the repeated process and practise will make the things easy and pain free.

www.chitownbootcamps.com/73/diet-chicago/

Edited by - Hussey01 on Sep 24 2011 01:07:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  07:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Skater

This stetch is great for the quads and lower back. Just be careful with your knees and lower back. If they start to ache don't bother doing it! Don't be a hero! Ease into it using your hands behind you.

Reclining Hero Pose

Start with one leg, then the other, then try both at the same time.

With biking your hip flexors can get very tight and this could have an effect.

A simple lunge stretch would help your hip flexors out.

Google hip flexor stretch and you should find it.

Also this is a good one for your hip and your ass muscle. (Not really big on the fancy sanskrit names or the names of muscles. )

Hip and ass stretch

Edited by - woosa on Sep 20 2011 08:04:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  08:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like your quads are too tight from all that exercise. I would suggest stretching the quads with something like the splits. Get as close to splits as you can, keeping your hips square, looking forward at your front leg. Try to work up to where you can lean over forward on the front leg.
Get down as far as you can and stay there several minutes (you may have to work up to this) until the quads release a little and you can go a little farther. Hold that for a minute to start, and work up to five minutes.
Of course you probably know that hamstrings should be developed equally with quads to keep a balance.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  12:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
o this is a good one for your hip and your ass muscle. (Not really big on the fancy sanskrit names or the names of muscles. )

Hip and ass stretch

woosa...i think the name in sanskrit would be ....hipassana
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  1:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you should rename all the asanas now!
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  2:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
headasana
aka sirsasana
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  11:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Then deadasana
(for corps pose)
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  6:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
squashedwilly-ow-sana - (Locust Pose)

That's if the gentlemen do not get their bits and pieces in the right place before undertaking this one.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  6:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
mmmmm - carne asada
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  6:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by woosa

That's if the gentlemen do not get their bits and pieces in the right place before undertaking this one.

Ha ha that's funny- bits and pieces. . .
It's something I think about though now that I am practicing splits!
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  7:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
It's something I think about though now that I am practicing splits!

Don't go down too quick.

I've been practicing the splits for a while now, still quite of bit off so the fellas are safe from being squashed for the time being

Don't think my joints are suited for it though because my hip keeps slightly slipping out of place when I do the knees-to-chest-roll-around-the-floor-asana
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  7:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I practiced the splits for years without much progress, then lately i'm progressing much quicker. I am alternating PNF (proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation I think) with just waiting until the tight hamstring lets go, then go lower. I have a gym mat but it's MUCH easier on a bed.
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  7:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Me too with PNF... enjoy the pain!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  7:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You should be able to do it without much pain at all. I don't force it much though. Have you tried waiting for the hamstring to relax, then go further? it should only take a few minutes.
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  7:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

You should be able to do it without much pain at all. I don't force it much though. Have you tried waiting for the hamstring to relax, then go further? it should only take a few minutes.

I was just being macho. I think this is the wrong forum for that.

My hips hurt quite a bit waiting it out for my hamstring. I think either my hips aren't designed for this (wimpy excuse) or they are very weak at the moment and tear apart. On a plus side if all the connective tissue does snap I should be able to get into the splits instantly... getting out could be a problem though.

Also which is a bit weird is doing the splits at night gives me nightmares. lol. My brain must be a bit faulty...
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  7:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know enough about hips. Are you keeping them square?
What formula do you use for PNF?
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  8:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a little experiment... I know my shoulder range of motion is rubbish for Yoga, so my hips won't suprise me...

Normally I do about 30 seconds stretch and then a 10 - 30 second pnf hold thingy. Keep alternating that until it's at my max and hold that for 10-20 seconds. Repeat 2 or 3 times.

I don't know why I am doing all this... maybe it's because I always wanted to do the splits like in the movie Kingpin.

All this talk has inspired me - done a few stretches before. Now it's way past midnight, will have to see if the nightmares materialise
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  9:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, sounds very similar to my pnf:
Go as far down as you can in splits, tense all muscles in both legs especially quads and hams as hard as you can, hold for 20 seconds, release and try to go a little down farther. Hold there one minute beginner to five minutes advanced. Do three sets. Work toward laying over on the front leg during this time.

I'm working on the bridge also (I think it's the wheel in yoga?}
You can't use pnf for that because back bends work with bones and ligaments, not muscles.

I'm doing it for two reasons: One, I like the way it feels and my body craves it sometimes, and two it's purifying when done with meditation. For a long time emotions were coming out without the stories, just emotion. Lately memories have been coming out, without much emotion, just things I had forgotten. at first I thought "Why am I thinking of this particular memory now? Then I realized it's not related to the moment; it's just coming out. What that means, I have no idea.

Edited by - Etherfish on Sep 22 2011 9:20:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  01:41:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

hahahaha....really funny ...thank God i am a woman

Edited by - maheswari on Sep 23 2011 02:03:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  01:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I'm working on the bridge also (I think it's the wheel in yoga?

the bridge is different from the wheel

bridge:
http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/472

and you can put your palms to support the waiste...elbows stay on the floor

as for the wheel:
http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/473

in sanskrit...the wheel is chakrasana....see how much my sanskrit is awesome?

Edited by - maheswari on Sep 23 2011 02:04:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  05:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know what you mean by the craving for stretching too. I had unpleasant dreams last night, not nightmares but not nice flowery ones. So the splits must be releasing some junk. (Strange indeed: a British person discussing their dreams and emotions with other people.)

Wish I could do the chakrasana, but my shoulder joints won't allow my arms to straighten.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  07:29:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Maheswari,

Yes, the wheel is what I'm working on, in yoga terms. I come from the world of dance, contortion and circus people, who call that the bridge! I had no idea there was a different bridge in yoga. That's confusing. The guy in the picture is doing it perfectly; I'm not there yet. Young people in my contortion class, mostly girls get there in a couple months, I take years. I'm finally making good progress now while clearing out mental stuff.
People say young bodies are flexible but I think older bodies are stiffened for mental and spiritual reasons.
Flexibility is popular with girls right now, but 100 years ago it was almost all men.

PS woosa,
My problem has been mostly shoulder also; many people carry stored emotions in shoulders and upper chest. the hangman helps; lay on front with head touching the wall. Reach arms up straight on wall (chest will lift off the floor) and let your weight do the stretch. You can do it standing too; don't bow the torso. Are there yoga terms for that also?

Edited by - Etherfish on Sep 23 2011 07:40:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  1:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Etherfish
i was lousy at chakrasana....it took me few years to be able to do it...(headstand only took me few months!!!)
remember asanas are only a minor aspect of yoga...just do whatever your body allows you to do
namaste

Edited by - maheswari on Sep 23 2011 1:26:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  7:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Maheswari,
I'm not really doing asanas (except for the ones that overlap from stretching and contortion). I don't even think of it as yoga. It's just something I like, it feels good, and has the side effect of purification. I would do it anyway even if there were no side effects. It seems like a natural thing to me.

Of course my whole attitude about spirituality is like that; I just feel like an ordinary guy doing normal things. I don't really care about enlightenment - I just find meditation enhances my everyday life greatly, and stretching makes me feel younger.

chakrasana: I still can't quite get my arms straight, but it's improving. I do pushups in that position and it helps.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000