Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Plow Pose problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  11:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone:
I've finally managed to integrate asanas into my daily yoga practice. (Hooray, I'm so proud of myself! )

But this morning I was coming down from the shoulder stand into plow pose and something in my mid-back kind of gave out and bent way more than it should have. Then all the muscles seized up. Now, when I do gentle twists, it feels like it does when you press on a swollen bruise. Ow.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for managing the injury and for continuing the asanas during recovery. If this were a knee or an ankle, I'd ice it, but I dunno if ice is such a great idea so close to the kidneys and other vital organs. Would love to hear any suggestions.

On the bright side, I'm now consciously sitting up VERY STRAIGHT!
Lots-o-love,
--Liz

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  12:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that's great! I am a big fan of asana and have been benefitted greatly from it. Sorry about your injury though.

As you said, this areas are vital so take it easy and I would suggest to wait till you feel alright in gentle twists.

For later, try to keep the pressure on your lower back/waist while coming down. put your tows firmly on the gound first and then release the pressure on middle back or further up (or down for this pose ) towards shoulder. About my practice, I started it couple of months ago and initially could not touch the ground at ease with my toes. I used to hang my legs close to the ground without stressing too much to touch, while keeping the pressure on the waist. In couple of days it was done and the process was smooth.

Wish you speedy recovery...
Love
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  3:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I made a post about spinal issues in another thread:
www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=10614#90587

Generally in asana, never rush it. You have to gradually develop both enough flexibility and strength, so the muscles become able to support the backbone enough even in extreme bends.

In the Plough (Halasana), start practising with knees bent, slowly lessening the bend day by day. To be able to enter from Shoulderstand (Sarvangasana), test one leg down at a time. A block or a high pillow behind is good to rest your toes on during the first weeks, instead of jump-starting with toes all the way down to the floor. In both of these asanas (especially the plough), keep actively shoulderblades close to each other as well as arms (interlace your fingers if possible, arms parallel & stretched out on floor in the plough).
Warning: If arms/shoulderblades slide to the sides, the plough bends the spine in two dimensions at once which increases risks.

After an injury, you usually strengthen the spine gradually through exercises done dynamically and without carrying the weight of the body:
Cat & Cow, low Cobra (weight on arms), very low backward bend (Setu Bandha Asana), with knees bent unlike full Setu Bandha Asana - and only to straight core and ribcage (not arching or pushing the belly all the way up yet).

I hope for a self-paced but persistent recovery ;-)
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  3:46:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Liz

A hot water bottle for does the trick for me. Or if you have Tiger Balm or Deep Heat in the States they are great for a muscle rub.

If I were you I would avoid asanas for a few days (even though that might suck) you don't want to make it any worse.

Hoping a speedy recovery!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  6:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know asanas; my stretching perspective is from contortion teachers, but I think it overlaps here.

I agree you should not do asanas that bend your back where it was injured, until it heals. Most stretches are stretching muscles, and it doesn't do too much damage to go a little too far. People who use PNF (me!) purposely go a little bit too far.

But back bends are totally different.
You can't use PNF or any radical stretching with the back. The reason is back bends are stretching ligaments with bone connections not muscles, and those heal VERY slowly.
My flexibility (contortion) teachers recommend bending backs as far as you can comfortably, then just push a tiny bit more, hold, then completely release, and do this three times. Any stretch that bends a back more than that is bad, and you should recover before doing any more.
Follow that with bending the back completely the opposite way and hold while resting. So if you did the wheel you would follow by hugging your knees or forward bending poses. Also it feels really good.
Best of luck! I love back bends.

PS Ice doesn't really help; it's an old wives' tale. What it does is reduce swelling and pain if that's what you need, but it also greatly slows healing.

Edited by - Etherfish on Nov 10 2011 7:02:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  10:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for all the advice and well wishes! I can slouch now, which I take as a good sign.

I used the equivalent of a hot water bottle on my back, and it helped. And I've been very, very gently bending and twisting throughout the day, and things are slowly easing up. I've also been drinking lots of water and layering up against the cold.

And thanks so much for the descriptions of the poses! Swan, I wasn't supporting the back coming out of the shoulder stand, and Hatha, my shoulder blades were not deliberately held close together. I just folded right up.

Back bends are great! I used to do gymnastics. At one point (20 years ago), I could do a full back bend, put my elbows on the floor, and stick my head between the shins. Putting my feet down behind my head was easy-peasy! 20 years ago sometimes feels like yesterday, but apparently it's not.

I'll take all your suggestions and build up slowly.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000