Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 The 5 Tibetans and AYP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devrim

Thailand
33 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  09:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit devrim's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Fellow yogi's and yogini's
Some of you may have heard of and practiced the 5 Tibetans made famous by the book 'The Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth' written by Peter Kelder.
It's a great set of asanas that i feel fits in very nicely with the AYP approach. First of all the asana sequence is short and once learned can be done in approx. 15 minutes (the same ammount of time that yogani recommends for asanas in our AYP practice).
Secondly the asanas combine to open up our chakras/energy centers(ie spinal nerve)and like AYP there is not much direct focus on the crown.
The 5 Tibetans also finshes with Uddiyana banda which as we know from AYP is a great way to make our energy 'fly up' before we release it all into slience with our sitting practices.
Self-pacing is also a part of it too as it is recommended to work up to a maximum of 21 repetions according to your capacity.
If you have not done so already i would highly recommend you to give them a try. The asanas are easy to learn and fun to do and can be found very easily online.I often use these asanas, as well as the tradtional AYP sequence, in the 'drop-in' AYP classes that i teach here.
The above mentioned book seems to focus on the rejuvenation and longevity affects of the exercises,however the opening of the nervous system is where i feel the importance of this practice lies.
Wishing you all great asana practice,
Please reply to this post if you have any questions on the 5 Tibetans or if you have anything to add.
Much love and happy practicing,devrim

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  12:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have tried them for a while, as instructed by Peter Kelder, Maya Fiennes, and Carolinda Witt. It is strange that they are called the 5 rites when there really are 6, the latter of which gets no mention in secondary sources.

If I may add something from the AYP point of view: To paraphrase one or a number of Lessons, AYP has no shortage of suggestions on improving the routine as set out. I too could think of many exercises that would 'fit in very nicely with the AYP approach', but that would by definition remove from the intention of the system as a whole, part of which is to have something that fits in normal daily life, is both most effective and safe for most practitioners, and can be followed without direct reliance on external gurus (self-pacing).

Innovation is part of AYP, and "there is no last word" on it, but there is also the principle that suggests 'to improve on something already great, master it first' which in practical terms means getting a handle on some of the milestones and working out some difficulties.

So too is flexibility so that AYP can fit into whatever other practices one does, except alongside them, not diluted by them. For the Rites to be effective, they have to be done daily, and so too AYP has its own twice-daily routine. The same instruction comes with most practices really. As another saying goes, there are only so many boats one can have their foot in and still be able to navigate, and here we definitely like to add some rocking of the boats.

More specific to T5T, or the Practices reputed to have originated with 'the Tibetans' and transmitted by Colonel Bradford to Peter Kelder, AYP suggests that "for the most part, the functioning of the chakras is "under the hood."" - Lesson 47.

Your high recommendation is of course appreciated, since I find it is the 'other systems' which really makes AYP shine among them. All systems are, as they say here, about the nervous system inherent in us all.

Best to you, and happy practicing (:

Edited by - AumNaturel on Oct 19 2011 2:33:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  2:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also practice the 5 Rites and they are EXCELLENT. The sixth one is optional and considered an add on only for those who wish to apply it.
Go to Top of Page

Leo17

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  11:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey everybody,

I have been doing the 5 rites after my meditation and find it very enjoyable also. But I am unaware of the 6th rite and am interested in practicing it. Could one of you be so kind to explain it to me? Thanks!

Blessings,
Leo
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  11:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Leo17 and welcome to the forums!
The 6th rite is explained in Peter Kelder's book, along with some simple instructions on how to use it.
Go to Top of Page

Leo17

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  1:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi AumNaturel. Thanks!
I don't have his book though, but reading above I think it is the Uddiyana banda.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  10:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is Uddiyana bandha.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000