Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 When should I start Pranayama?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yaming

Switzerland
112 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  11:55:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,
I found this (lecture 35):

"First comes the rise of silence from regular meditation. It is also experienced as an increasingly steady state of peace, happiness and bliss. Most of all it is experienced as an inner stability that is not shaken by any outer experience. Inner silence is the foundation for further experiences that are facilitated by additional advanced yoga practices that awaken the silence of pure bliss consciousness to a dynamic state in our nervous system.

Second comes the rise of ecstatic experience in the body and surroundings. It comes from an awakening of the life force in the body and a gradual refinement of sensory perception."

So when do I start Pranayama? Do I keep doing DM till I reach the inner silence and then add the pranayama or do I start it before that? I have no problem with sticking to something for a long time without adding any additional exercises. I am just wondering what is the most effective way to approach it.
According to lecture 41:
"This pranayama will quiet the nervous system, and provide a fertile ground for deep meditation."
If I understand this correctly it will make DM more effective when added the spinal breathing. Is that correct?
There is no hurry in answering the question I will stay with DM for a while anyways before adding anything additional to it.
Have a nice day Yaming

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  01:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Yaming,

You are correct, they work powerfully together and supplement each other. You can add the SBP whenever you feel stable in your meditation. The silence and ecstasy grow side by side along the way.

I personally added SBP about 1 week after starting meditation. And I wish I had waited about 1 month in retrospect. But don't wait too long, there are great benefits to doing both practices together.

Enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  02:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was taught to do asana for six months before starting pranayama. That said, if you are able to sit with stability for 10 to 20 minutes then I say go for it
Go to Top of Page

Yaming

Switzerland
112 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  11:52:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you very much for your help! I will do the meditation for a few more weeks before I add the SBP (why is it not SPB? SPinal Breathing?). It doesn't run away from me so no hurry about it.
Again thank you for your help.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  9:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Most probably it is: spinal breahting pranayama
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000