Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Not sure I'm doing it right
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BonBons

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  12:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I've been doing mantra meditation for a couple of weeks now. While I do find it very relaxing, I'm not *convinced* I'm doing it correctly.

I find as I get deeper, my mantra kind of slips away and I could almost fall into a sleep. It's like I have to *reach* again for the mantra and not get too relaxed. I'm confused because I've heard meditation causes an aware state, but increasingly it seems closer to a sleep state.

Also, I've not had an experiences of the much vaunted 'bliss' yet which makes me think I'm doing to wrong.

Wonder if anyone can help, thanks

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  1:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BonBons,

It sounds like you are doing it right. It is supposed to be like that - you stay on the mantra for a while, then relax and lose it, and then come back to it.

Sometimes there is a sleep-like state that occurs. Check out lesson 17,
http://www.aypsite.org/17.html called "Was I asleep?"

I also don't experience what I would consider bliss, although I have had occasional experiences that let me know that something is happening, and it is "working."

I recommend the blue "Deep Meditation" book which put to rest a lot of my concerns about whether I was meditating correctly.

P.S.
The experience of meditation will vary a lot, from day to day, and even month to month. Some days there may be bliss, other days none. Sometimes mantra will fade easily, others not. Be easy about it, no need to force anything, or do it "right" - the instructions are simple, and it sounds like you're doing it fine. I consider it like taking a stroll, an easy time of my day when I don't have to think about anything, or worry about anything, or listen to any mind chatter, except "I am"

Edited by - JDH on Jan 24 2011 1:50:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

BonBons

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  2:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link and your post, just what I needed to read. There is so much info on this site I'll admit I've not read everything yet although I have now ordered the Deep Meditation guide. It's relieving to hear I'm on the right path - thanks
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  3:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BonBons and welcome to the forum

Couple of things...

First, if you are introducing the mantra, allowing it to refine, losing the mantra and then going back to it whenever you notice you are not repeating it, you are doing the procedure right.

Second, the benefits of meditation are not found while meditating... they are found outside of meditation time while out participating in regular daily activity. Just continue to follow the simple procedure of meditation and allow things to take their natural progression. There will be many phases in meditation...sleep like phases, awake/aware phases, blissed-out like phases, mindy phases etc etc.

Third, "bliss" may not be what you think it is. We each have our own idea of what bliss (and "proper meditation") should feel like when we begin meditation, but the actual experience rarely matches up to our expectations. Try letting go of your expectations surrounding what meditation (and bliss) should feel like and just see what happens.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  4:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BonBons!!

Welcome

You got some very good advice!

Don't be discouraged if you don't see the changes immediately or if they are not appearing in a very obvious way. If you stick with it you will see changes and be glad that you continued

Love

Yonatan
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  06:25:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BonBons,

and a warm wellcome to the forums.

To me, it sounds like you are doing it just right. May I ask, just out of curiosity, how is your breath when you "nearly fall asleep"?

Thanks and keep up the good work!
Go to Top of Page

BonBons

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  08:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the replies

quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi
Try letting go of your expectations surrounding what meditation (and bliss) should feel like and just see what happens.

Yes I reckon I've been chasing this bliss feeling a bit, with some definite expectations about what it'll be like. I probably need to let that go.

quote:
Originally posted by mimirom
May I ask, just out of curiosity, how is your breath when you "nearly fall asleep"?

I'm not aware of my breath at this point... it's just natural, if you know what I mean.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

kaserdar

91 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  11:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Mimirom,

quote:
Originally posted by mimirom

To me, it sounds like you are doing it just right. May I ask, just out of curiosity, how is your breath when you "nearly fall asleep"?

Let me reply this one:) My breath is stopped when i get into this state, almost with every meditation. So does it mean something? Is it good?:)

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  5:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it happens sometimes that the breath becomes very shallow or even stops during those very quiet moments in deep meditation. As it appears, sometimes there can be virtually no breathing at all occurring during the whole 20 minutes meditation period, which is really incredible... I happen to be currently in a period where this happens, so that's why I'm curious.

To your question, kaserdar: It's been said, that the breath accurately mirrors the state of our mind and body. So when the breath disappears, it probably shows that the mind reaches deep silence and the metabolic activity of the body is very low, both of which are desired results of deep meditation. (If there is no breathing at all for 20 minutes, and it feels very comfortable at the same time, then I figure the metabolic activity must be nearly stopped.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000