Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 quick question about mantra and breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

davidot

Sweden
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  10:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I am new to this,

Should I be thinking "I" when breathing in and "AM" when breathing out? Should I try to not separate into two words and go IAM instead? I somehow can not avoid synchronising the mantra with my breath, what should I do?

Am grateful for tips and advice
Thanks

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  11:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David,

If you want to use two words, "I" and "AM" there is nothing wrong with that. It comes down to the same thing as one word in the end.

Try to avoid synchronizing the mantra with the breath if you can. In the beginning there is nothing wrong with it in terms of practice, but the problem is that it will become a habit which will be difficult to give up later. As your meditation deepens the breath can become very shallow and almost imperceptible. It can also suspend altogether at times. When this happens, if the mantra is tied to the breath then you will lose the mantra at the times when the breath is lost which is something that you don't want.
Go to Top of Page

davidot

Sweden
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  4:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Christi,
I will try to avoid synchronising, perhaps I should try to avoid thinking about my breathing completely?
Go to Top of Page

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  01:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, my breathing was always quite shallow, and forcing myself to deep breath didnt work. I was used to a breath meditation, but found the mantra meditation to be quite more effective.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  10:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by davidot

Thank you Christi,
I will try to avoid synchronising, perhaps I should try to avoid thinking about my breathing completely?

I wouldn't do that personally. It just adds another thought to the process which is not needed.

Over time the mantra will change, and your breathing will change and I would just allow that to happen. Separating the mantra and the breath can be a bit tricky in the first place if you are used to connecting the two, but after a couple of days it becomes easy and you won't even think about it.
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  11:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I find when my mind goes to the breath I simply acknowledge it as a distraction, like any thought of sensation during deep meditation. You simply acknowledge you have lost full concentration of the mantra and return it to the mantra.

I seem to use a mindfulness technique during my meditation, so I simply curiously, forgivingly and with love, be aware of my mantra and follow my awareness around the body and mind as sensations and emotions, or thoughts appear and simply acknowledge them then remind the mind the area of focus.

This way as you remind yourself your meditating on the mantra your not getting upset of annoyed :)

joe

p.s. it is an act of letting go to acknowledge a distraction and move awareness to the mantra

Go to Top of Page

davidot

Sweden
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  5:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for contributing and helping out,

Too me it is slightly confusing that I should repeat the mantra without effort and without clear pronunciation at the same time as I am concentrating and focusing on it. Maybe someone has a comment on that?

thanks

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  6:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You don't need to concentrate and focus on it. Just keep it going enough that it keeps your mind busy.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  06:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Davidot,

When you start out using a mantra the pronounciation will be clear. The effort you use is just enough to pereat it internally. It doesn't take much. The mantra is your object of attention, which you bring the mind back to each time you notice it wander off onto thoughts. It doesn't take much concentration, just some determination to consistently favour one thing over another for 20 minutes.

Over time, the pronounciation of the mantra may become less clear and more fuzzy. But that happens naturally as awareness begins to deepen. It is not something you need to do or to focus on. Just let it happen when it happens.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

davidot

Sweden
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  06:57:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone, after reading and considering your suggestions, I feel as if I had a good session today where some cleansing took place, I didn't find myself lost in complete silence, but I could sense it being round the corner, I think I reached it a few very short moments.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000