New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  5:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't know whether I have experienced samadhi or not. How would one know? What is the measurement or sign-post? From my experience, it seems like the mantra is the door in the middle, which sometimes swings to one way and I get engrossed in thoughts which feels turbulent, and sometime it swings the other way of no thoughts and peacefulness. So either I am in the middle or swing to this side or other and 30minutes gets over. And then I don't get what's the point of all this. They are just different states of experience and then the time is over! Am I confused?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  03:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gentlep,

The signposts of samadhi are essentially peace, joy, bliss, equanimity and liberation. When you are in samadhi, you know about it. There is no wondering if you are in samadhi or not.

Gradually, the more time you spend in samadhi during meditation, the more those qualities begin to spontaneously manifest in your everyday life. The more those qualities become manifest, the stronger the pull on the life force of the subtle body, and life becomes increasingly ecstatic.

With rising ecstasy and ever deepening inner silence born of the knowledge of the Self in samadhi, life becomes a living expression of Divine love. This is what yoga means, the union of the self and the other in divine ecstasy.

If you are experiencing moments of inner silence (no thoughts) and peacefulness during meditation, then that is a good sign. Don't rest in the silence, just allow the silence to deepen with the ever disappearing mantra.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  08:54:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Gentlep,

The signposts of samadhi are essentially peace, joy, bliss, equanimity and liberation. When you are in samadhi, you know about it. There is no wondering if you are in samadhi or not.

Awesome reply Christi!!!

Just one thing to add... Gentlep, don't go by what you have read what samadhi should be like or what you have imagined samadhi to be as. The moments of "and sometime it swings the other way of no thoughts and peacefulness. " is samadhi.
For the longest time I complained I did not experience samadhi, and Yogani once told me, "you have experienced samadhi so many times, so many of the experiences you talk about are samadhi". I did not understand how it could be samadhi, because it did not feel like anything I had read or imagined it to be like. It took me a long time to drop concepts of samadhi I had made.

Just something to keep in mind.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000