New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  12:30:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Tibetan_Ice

quote:
Originally posted by Chela7
Hi Tibetan Ice,

I am pushing 30 years old, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I have been practicing the SRF Energization Exercises on and off for a long time, but I am trying to be more consistent.

The Kriya Proper or Kriya Pranayama of SRF is the same as AYP spinal breathing, the only difference is that it is done with the mouth open, mulabandha is not applied and the eyebrows are not knitted when doing sambhavi.

In your opinion,if I exclude the energization exercises from my routine will I lose much benefit as far as kundalini awakening is concerned? Can these exercises be done instead of Kunlun?

Thank you TI

-Chela7

Hi Chela7 :)
Thank you for the information..
You are asking me very hard questions. For one, the SRF energization exercises are excellent and probably, with a good teacher, the whole SRF teachings would take you there. If you studied the SRF lessons, you would not only know how to control the divine energy, use it to heal yourself and others, read minds and a number of other esoteric practices.. Kriya Yoga is highly regarded and you could probably spend a lifetime just with their teachings.

AYP has practices, lessons that you can follow, but the structure is looser; you are at liberty to pick and choose which practices to perform. The base building blocks are to start with "I AM" meditation and once you have a modicum of inner silence, you can start to add other practices like spinal breathing, YMK etc. Again, there are great resources in this forum and AYP has started holding retreats where you can meet experienced practitioners. One of the main ideas in AYP is that you clear the blockages and tune your system in preparation for kundalini awakening, rather than activate kundalini straight off and risk overload or other detrminental side-effects. You will hear alot about staying away from the crown and self-pacing. There is some value in these concepts.

Kulun is a totally different thing. I did take a kunlun seminar and I wrote a short post about it here:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....age=11#73499

Kulun is like practicing no-mind, opening etheric pathways through reflexing shaking and using Taoist practices like the inner smile, chi cultivation and storing it in the lower tan tien. Like I've mentioned in other posts, shaking is a good way to open etheric pathways; I even have an Osho DVD on kundalini meditation that uses dance and shaking as part of the meditation. There are also those kulun practitioners who swear that all they need to become fully realized is Kunlun and Red Phoenix.. It may be true, life is short...

If you want to activate your kundalini, and you have experience as a meditator and in yogic practices, I would recommend trying the following kundalini meditation: http://www.crystalinks.com/kundalini.html

I did this meditation twice and was quite successful. One warning though, if you do this properly and succeed, you won't want to have sex for many months after because it just pales in comparison. Also, if something goes wrong and you overload or have a bad experience, remember that you chose to try it. There are many complaints about having to pick up the pieces here in this forum. Typical kundalini bad effects come from not taking her to the crown, from kundalini rising in either ida or pingala, or worse yet, getting stuck and then trucking around your system attacking organs along the way as she tries to find shiva.

Actually, this is not a bad video on kundalini (there are three parts):
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9290408

I hope you have also read the classics like "Gopi Krishna's Kundalini: The Evolutionary Energy in Man." and "Autobiography of a Yogi", the "Baghavad Gita", "I AM THAT by Nisargadatta"...

And then again, here is one of my favorite resources, Gurudeva and "Merging with Shiva":
http://www.himalayanacademy.com/res...ontents.html

In any spiritual practice, the speed at which you progress is based on a number of factors:
1) Your level or karmic development
2) Your understanding of the practices and performing them correctly
3) Your earnestness and dedication
4) Discovering the method that works for you.

Where does it all end? I don't know. Lately I'm favoring Ramana and Nisargadatta and self-inquiry. Who is having all these experiences? Who am I? Just sit, focus on the feeling of "I AM" and ignore everything else that happens. Just ask, "to whom is this experience occuring?" and sit in silence..

A good word of advice is this: Try to stick to one body of practices at a time. Don't mix and match practices from one teaching to another. Or, if you do, keep them quite separate, practice them at different times and try to research the ill-effects of doing so. The main problem with mixing practices is that if something happens (good or bad) you don't really know what caused it, one practice or the other, or perhaps a combination. As well, some practices' effects have a rebound effect which doesn't manifest until a day or two after.. Something to think about.

I agree with Yogani, you are in it for the long haul, not the short sprint. It is important to establish a routine and stick to it.

It is also important to understand what you are doing, not just doing something blindly because someone else is doing it.

Hopefully I've given you enough insite so that you can answer your own questions. I'm not a guru and I don't feel right telling people what to do. I can only share my experiences and knowledge, for what little that may be worth..

:)
TI

Hi Tibetan Ice,

As usual Thank you so much for your advice(and for the links). The information you have given, really puts many things into perspective.
Thank you.

-Chela7
Go to Top of Page

Nathan

47 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  5:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chela,

For the meditation part of my practice I look upwards to the point between the eyebrows and focus attention there, while 'I Am' or "Hong Sau' is repeating with the inhalation and exhalation. Traditionally, the Ajna chakra is one object of concentration that can be used in yoga; one can meditate on that center, or from that center. Yes, in Yogananda's teachings this center is given pivotal importance; he called it the 'polestar of spiritual consciousness.' The heart center can be focused on also. The meditation method taught here of repeating 'I Am' is good also. As the mantra is repeated more and more inwardly, one is moving into silence.

I don't have the information with me, but I compiled some quotes on the Ajna chakra if you're interested.

Here is a link to some good meditation instructions (which you may already know):

http://www.ananda.org/meditation/le...chnique.html
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  7:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan

Hi Chela,

For the meditation part of my practice I look upwards to the point between the eyebrows and focus attention there, while 'I Am' or "Hong Sau' is repeating with the inhalation and exhalation. Traditionally, the Ajna chakra is one object of concentration that can be used in yoga; one can meditate on that center, or from that center. Yes, in Yogananda's teachings this center is given pivotal importance; he called it the 'polestar of spiritual consciousness.' The heart center can be focused on also. The meditation method taught here of repeating 'I Am' is good also. As the mantra is repeated more and more inwardly, one is moving into silence.

I don't have the information with me, but I compiled some quotes on the Ajna chakra if you're interested.

Here is a link to some good meditation instructions (which you may already know):

Hi Nathan,

Thank you. I was under the impression that I AM mantra is to be mentally favored regardless of location. So do you think that by favoring I AM mantra deeper and deeper,while focused in the ajna, the results could be better?

I think Yogani even mentions that eventually the body automatically goes into sambhavi during meditation, so why not just do it deliberately from the start while doing I AM DM?

I would like to know what you and anyone else on the forum thinks about this. Thank you in advance.

-Chela7

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  9:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

Hi Chela,

Hi Nathan,

Thank you. I was under the impression that I AM mantra is to be mentally favored regardless of location. So do you think that by favoring I AM mantra deeper and deeper,while focused in the ajna, the results could be better?

I think Yogani even mentions that eventually the body automatically goes into sambhavi during meditation, so why not just do it deliberately from the start while doing I AM DM?

I would like to know what you and anyone else on the forum thinks about this. Thank you in advance.

-Chela7

Hi Chela7,
No, in AYP we do not locate the mantra in the 3rd eye area...even when automatic sambhavi happens, the location of the mantra may be in the solar plexus or some other part of the body... so go with what flows naturally. The idea is to be easy with the practice, not force anything.
Hope this helps.

Lesson 27 - Meditation Q&A – Location of mantra
quote:
If you find the mantra occurring in particular locations, that is okay. We don't resist that. Nor do we encourage it. Just as we let the mantra settle down naturally to quieter and quieter levels, so too do we let it occur in the body wherever it is naturally. If it doesn't occur in any particular place, that is okay too. It is not about physical locations. The mantra naturally resonates according to the complex purification process going on inside us while we are meditating. All we have to do is follow the simple procedure of thinking the mantra easily, and picking it back up easily when we realize we have been off it.
Go to Top of Page

Nathan

47 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  12:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chela,

My main focus during meditation is to gaze upward into the space between the eyebrows, while focusing on the sensation there, and/or taking a seat in medulla and gazing forward from there; the mantra going with the inhalation and exhalation is sort of in the background. Initially, I would just focus on Ajna, but the breath would get subtler and want to repeat something; so 'nama' or 'yama' would start going in the mind with inhalation and exhalation. So now I insert 'I am' or 'Hong Sau' or 'Amma.'

If you want to follow the instructions given on this site, and repeat the mantra in a more freestyle way, you probably won't want to focus on Ajna while doing mantra.

Any kind of specific focus on the centers is usually devalued here. You could try both the AYP instructions and the ones that are more along the lines of SRF, and see if you notice any difference in how you feel during and after meditation.

Edited by - Nathan on Feb 04 2011 2:16:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  3:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,

Thank you Nathan and Shanti. Actually I have already tried both ways. After AYP DM using the I AM mantra I just feel calmer, When I do DM using the mantra OM I literally feel my body spinning and floating, When I just meditate by focusing at the ajna I feel vibrant power from the third eye and after the session I feel as if I am walking on clouds. From these experiences which approach do you believe gives better and faster results?

-Chela7
Go to Top of Page

Nathan

47 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  5:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Chela,

It sounds like you're doing well either way. Feeling light is a good sign. Based on what you've said I would alternate focusing on Ajna and using OM, as you said 'I Am' just makes you feel calm, while with OM you feel like you're floating.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  8:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Chela7

you want to go deep into silence. Floating needs space and air, it is just a temporary experience which won't fufill you. The same goes for a little bit of calmness, even though the direction is correct. The energetic happenings at ajna are also of changing nature and the depths of ajna will show you the already free silent blissfull witness interpenetrating life.

If you clean the dishes, you have many options where to start cleaning and how to proceed. But you can't see the length or potency of the overall cleaning process of any technique based on some loosening-experiences.

Even Yogani said, that it is nearly impossible, even for a very advanced guy like him, to give accurate timing and details about how the process will unfold for any technique. Only if done by yourself, you can tell how it was for your body-mind complex, and based on that people can follow or try out new things.

It is possible to see cause and effect to its end on the causal level, when that part of silent mind have been touched again and again for weeks and months. Then for example: "Concentrating on the ajna totally will bring you to the godly shore." can be seen through.

Not to forget, that people give good hints out of their inner realizations, but the way they have reached those inner realizations should be more interesting for you. When it comes to Yogananda, he practiced kriya yoga intensly. When it comes to Yogani, he practiced what he is giving here.

Start with the hints of those sages and as time progresses, look
at their roots too.

Dear Nathan, how is going for you? Some time has passed since :)
Go to Top of Page

Nathan

47 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  9:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Holy,

It's good to hear from you. I'm always pleased when I see that you have contributed to a post, because you have a way of clearing things up.

It seems that things are progressing for me, but at a slow pace. I've been feeling a little bit of magnetism in the spine at times, and gradually increasing the amount of spinal breathing. The medulla center is becoming more active. Even though things are going slowly, it's nice to be sticking to a practice.

Could you speak a little more about the difference between the energetic happenings at ajna and the depths of ajna?
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  01:58:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

Thank you Holy and Nathan. Holy, I too would like to know how to reach the depths of ajna meditation beyond the fleeting energetic effects. I feel that Meditation on the ajna is simpler and more direct than AYP DM,using I AM mantra. What are your thoughts on this?

What is the procedure that you would suggest for a deeper ajna meditation? Sambhavi w/awareness of ajna? No sambhavi w/ awareness of the ajna?

What are your thoughts about my routine listed at the beginning of this thread? Thank you very much in advance.

-Chela7
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  09:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi All,

Thank you Nathan and Shanti. Actually I have already tried both ways. After AYP DM using the I AM mantra I just feel calmer, When I do DM using the mantra OM I literally feel my body spinning and floating, When I just meditate by focusing at the ajna I feel vibrant power from the third eye and after the session I feel as if I am walking on clouds. From these experiences which approach do you believe gives better and faster results?

-Chela7

I would suggest to try one kind of meditation foe a few weeks and the other for a few weeks and then decide for yourself what works better for you. Don't do them both at the same time.

Also, keep in mind, when you are doing meditation for spiritual reasons, it is not how you feel during meditation that is the main thing, it is how you feel during the rest of the day, how things change in you everyday living that is the measure of what you practice.

So if right now you feel drawn to do meditation on the OM mantra and focus on the ajna chakra, that is fine. If some day you do plan on trying AYP deep meditation. then do only that. With any meditation practice you start, stick with it for a few weeks to experience the benefits of it.

Wish you all the best!!!

Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  10:26:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nathan,

there are certain laws, you can observe them and apply to your practices. Look at the sun, it is shining bright and warming everything around. Is it enough to burn dry paper? Sometimes, rarely. What happens if you hold a loupe inbetween? The paper will heat up more for sure. But will it burn? Perhaps if you don't shake your hand and remain like that for quite some time.

The same applies to concentration on ajna chakra. Only when a critical intensity of concentration is reached, will the ajna blossom up. Some things need some amount of minimum energy before they can function. The higher the chakra, the more petals it has, the more energy it needs.

Awareness is like the sun. Attention is like the loupe. Paired with a still body and mind, the layers of consciousness can be penetrated very fast. The silent space is not the end, nor is it empty. The longer the ray of attention is directed to the spot, the finer and subtler perceptions will arise till you touch the core of what ajna can reveal. Nothing more or less is done to go into the depths, just the same continuously.

The grosser energetic happenings are a hint, that ajna is still being touched on the surface. I know it is hard to remain totally still on it. Too many thoughts, too many distractions coming up again and again.

For that reason e.g. kriya yogis practice om japa on the chakras and kriya pranayama within the spine to clean the inner distractions at their root beforehand. And then you can easily rest on ajna with unmoving attention for longer periods of time.

@Chela7

the AYP approach is more general. It does global house cleaning and adresses all nadis and chakras in a more balanced way. Attention directly on ajna is very uplifting, you are jumping directly beyond space and time to the mindsubstance and go deeper and deeper till you touch the source of the mind. This can create some inbalance and tension on the whole energetic system. Not that it will not work on the longterm, the apporoach is just different.

For the ajna to become active and working, all the chakras below need to function too. The amount of energy ajna needs, comes from the chakras below and to activate the thousand-petaled-lotus needs immense activity and purity of the whole system.

Your routine looks like a normal kriya yoga routine and is ok. It is a tested routine of many kriya yogis, so you can go with it. There are minor variations among different kriya-lineages, but the basic elements are the same.

Maha mudra for loosing tensions of the body, opening up the entrances to sushumna and awakening kundalini.

Kriya pranayma cleans up the pathway for kundalini to travel and feed the brain which needs increasing amounts energy.

Thokar does more intense cleaning on the chest, neck and brain area.

With that preparation, attention is more freed and meditation can happen more easily and continuous.

Yoni mudra for more kundalini awakening and housecleaning is ok aswell.

Rest at the end will smooth out the transition. Loooks ok.

If you have learned the techniques, amount and order from someone who has gone through the whole process of cleanign and opening up, then go on luckily. But if you have mixed up the routine out of reading here and there, you will be on testing ground and in most cases, testing ground means much longer process. It can create something good and new for later generations, that is another topic. If you want to go as fast and safe as possible, stick to something with good proven results.

The ajna must and/or will be adressed automatically, no matter what system, technique or whatever you follow. I remember a lesson where Yogani explains it too, something like "the third eye must be opened". There are more and less efficient ways. Sometimes the most direct is not the most efficient, sometimes it is. Putting attention on the ajna is also not the final, the crown is still waiting.

Try out and see. If no results come over the longterm, maybe some indirect additions are neseccary.

Happy going on =)
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  2:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

Thank you Holy and Shanti. Holy, thank you for your thoughts on my routine.

About learning from "someone who has gone through the whole process" I learned Kriya from SRF. All techniques are done the same as taught, except Kriya Pranayam or Kriya proper. I do it closer to AYP SBP,sitting in siddhasana,doing mulabandha,Kechari level 1,gentle sambhavi, while using mala to count instead of a timer. I also do you Yoni mudra the traditional way as taught with the neck straight.

I am pondering whether to give AYP DM w/ I AM mantra a try for a few week or just continue steadfast with my current routine of gentle sambhavi w/ awareness on the ajna.... What do you think?

If I slowly and gradually increase my kriyas, Thokar rotations, Yoni mudra retentions, and meditation times, Do you think this would be efficient to take me all the way without adding anything else? Thank you in advance.

-Chela7
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  10:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you add AYP DM to the routine, the routine will be way too intense. It is hard to combine AYP with full spectrum kriya yoga. It is doable in a more avanced and cleaned body-mind system, but for the initial years the combination will not work for the most.

You can try AYP DM and you will have such great effects, that you will go on with it instead of the ajna-meditation. Then after some weeks you will see that something is missing, something that your ajna-medi provided. And this can confuse to the level that you stop AYP DM and start with ajna again. And whoa, how good the ajna medi is, such great effects. After some weeks you'll miss some things again, this time of DM's good effects =P

Have gone through this with all kind of combinations and switches many many times ^^ The switch is so good, because you have the effets of both techniques blended for some time. But the switching prevents deepening.

Concentration - meditation - samadhi not only applies on the short term level but also on the long term level. It is hard to manage this alone, some long-term-experienced-input is very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  03:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Holy

If you add AYP DM to the routine, the routine will be way too intense. It is hard to combine AYP with full spectrum kriya yoga. It is doable in a more avanced and cleaned body-mind system, but for the initial years the combination will not work for the most.

You can try AYP DM and you will have such great effects, that you will go on with it instead of the ajna-meditation. Then after some weeks you will see that something is missing, something that your ajna-medi provided. And this can confuse to the level that you stop AYP DM and start with ajna again. And whoa, how good the ajna medi is, such great effects. After some weeks you'll miss some things again, this time of DM's good effects =P

Have gone through this with all kind of combinations and switches many many times ^^ The switch is so good, because you have the effets of both techniques blended for some time. But the switching prevents deepening.

Concentration - meditation - samadhi not only applies on the short term level but also on the long term level. It is hard to manage this alone, some long-term-experienced-input is very helpful.

Hi,

Thank you Holy for answering my questions so well. AYP DM and Ajna Meditation are both great methods. I just don't want to deprive myself of faster results by using one or the other. And like you said using both would prevent me from going deep in the long term. So I must choose one.

I am pushing 30 years on this planet. I don't have anymore time to waste. I want to progress forward as much as possible in this life.

I guess my real question is, which method in your opinion( or any other advanced practitioners in this forum)would give the deepest and fastest results for the long term? Thank you very much in advanced.

-Chela7
Go to Top of Page

Nathan

47 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  3:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I've also noticed that when I switch things are good in the beginning, not only from the effects of both being blended, but also the freshness, interest, and enthusiasm that is hard to maintain when doing the same thing day after day. There is freshness even if I've done the method many times in the past, but have taken a break or done something else for a while. Sometimes skipping just half a day or a day is helpful in reestablishing interest.

Chela,

I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer or consensus on what you should practice. In the past I too have sought validation or consensus on what I was practicing. It seems to be better for me if I don't go looking for that, but stick to the words of the teacher. A lot of the people here are practicing what is taught here, so it's likely that that's what they'll recommend. You might check out one of the srf/yogananda forums, since your practice has been along those lines, and you can get inspiration for what you're already practicing.
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  4:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

I've also noticed that when I switch things are good in the beginning, not only from the effects of both being blended, but also the freshness, interest, and enthusiasm that is hard to maintain when doing the same thing day after day. There is freshness even if I've done the method many times in the past, but have taken a break or done something else for a while. Sometimes skipping just half a day or a day is helpful in reestablishing interest.

Chela,

I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer or consensus on what you should practice. In the past I too have sought validation or consensus on what I was practicing. It seems to be better for me if I don't go looking for that, but stick to the words of the teacher. A lot of the people here are practicing what is taught here, so it's likely that that's what they'll recommend. You might check out one of the srf/yogananda forums, since your practice has been along those lines, and you can get inspiration for what you're already practicing.

Hi

Thank you so much Nathan. I guess I will have to stick with my current practice and continue to ask around.

However, on SRF forums they seem more devotional,even though this is great,than scientific. I might be wrong.

Do you practice Kriya Yoga or something similar? What is your current routine?

-Chela7
Go to Top of Page

Nathan

47 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  09:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chela,

I don't practice kriya yoga per se. I learned the spinal breathing here, which is very similar to the main practice in kriya yoga, and I practice attention on ajna, in the same way as in kriya yoga. I haven't felt inclined to travel anywhere for initiation or commit myself to an organization; but if you do feel inclined in that direction, that can certainly be beneficial.

Currently I do about seven minutes of spinal breathing, followed by twenty minutes of meditation, and have been gradually adding things, like mulabandha, khechari, etc. Also, keeping attention on ajna outside of formal meditation when I feel inclined or remember to do so.

Yes, they are devotional at the srf forums. I too, usually don't feel especially devotional. When the pranic activity increases, devotion also increases, and when Kundalini is aroused, devotion can increase exponentially. Sincerity is important and will increase development, even though spinal breathing is scientific. In the beginning, sincerity has to be roused by effort, but later it will become natural. They also practice similar things, like meditation on ajna (spiritual eye, kutastha), so it can be helpful to get encouragement or inspiration there, rather than on a forum where that isn't one of the practices.

Edited by - Nathan on Feb 08 2011 09:46:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  10:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Chela7

Nathan says it. It is the one same question I have asked many years ago too. Many ask it. Hints for finding answers:

Look at people who have realized the truth of who they are and who live in that freedom permanently.
Look if they have a teaching that can be practically applied and that does bring results.
Look at the number of their fellowers and how many of those have reached the same level of their master how fast.

You will find out, that some systems and lineages have more "enlightened people output" than others. To name some who had cought my eye back then.

Ramana Maharshi's lineage.

Babaji and kriya yoga based lineages

and

tantric and tibetan Buddhism with their 6 yogas of Naropa are one of those.

Ramana's teaching stays in huge contrast to the tantric and yogic based sytems and has caused much conusion, but as we see, both work. And in combination even better.

AYP combines most of the good-results-producing elements, so it is no wonder that great results in practinioners here are coming up.

I am not aware of many people that rely on Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's TM alone and have brought it to a point like yogani. Perhaps there are, but remain even more silent.

No one can choose for you. You don't need to worry, if your inner wish is directed towards that highest ideal. Practice daily and all is fine. Sooner or later, you'll see that your victory was already set in the very beginning.

Happy best =)
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  02:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Thank you Holy.
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  2:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

@Chela7

Nathan says it. It is the one same question I have asked many years ago too. Many ask it. Hints for finding answers:

Look at people who have realized the truth of who they are and who live in that freedom permanently.
Look if they have a teaching that can be practically applied and that does bring results.
Look at the number of their fellowers and how many of those have reached the same level of their master how fast.

You will find out, that some systems and lineages have more "enlightened people output" than others. To name some who had cought my eye back then.

Ramana Maharshi's lineage.

Babaji and kriya yoga based lineages

and

tantric and tibetan Buddhism with their 6 yogas of Naropa are one of those.

Ramana's teaching stays in huge contrast to the tantric and yogic based sytems and has caused much conusion, but as we see, both work. And in combination even better.

AYP combines most of the good-results-producing elements, so it is no wonder that great results in practinioners here are coming up.

I am not aware of many people that rely on Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's TM alone and have brought it to a point like yogani. Perhaps there are, but remain even more silent.

No one can choose for you. You don't need to worry, if your inner wish is directed towards that highest ideal. Practice daily and all is fine. Sooner or later, you'll see that your victory was already set in the very beginning.

Happy best =)

Hi,

Holy, I know about Kriya Yoga. I believe that the teachings of Ramana Maharishi is basically the change your perspective of life and inquire as to who is the doer/observer in order to realize the source or the self. But, I have no knowledge of the Six Yogas of Naropa.

Can it be learned from books or do you need to find a teacher in the Himalayas or something?

What are results of the Six Yogas of Naropa?

What elements of AYP are from this tradition, if any?

Thank you in advance.

-Chela7
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  11:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't go on confusing yourself with more and other practices. The ones you have are already nr.1. How many months/years have passed since you've started with kriya yoga practice?

The six yogas of Naropa are doing the very same as SPB/kriya pranayama and DM/ajna-meditation/chakra-japa etc.

The core of each of the systems is to bring the energies within the body-mind to the central channel through breathing, visualisation, conentration, mantra, et. for the sole purpose of touching that silence and bringing it "back" to the grossest of grossest. In other words, to bring heaven on earth. Even "deeper", to merge absolute with relative permanently within the body-mind.

The six yogas are more complicated and need more dedication and time to bring success. A karmic buddhist backround will make it much more easy. If you have been drawn to kriya yoga and already have the actual techniques in your hands, it would be really like eating an apple and looking for an orange to switch with yours before having eaten yours to the end.

Both are sweet and both are eaten a little bit differently, but both will make your body happy. AYP is like a banana, eating it is even more easy, but if you eat too much at the same time, it could be too much for your stomach and temporarily create the opposite desired effect.

Which fruit do you choose, all are delicious. Pick one just easily with intuition, don't make it complicated. And then happy eating, it will be just fine.
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2011 :  9:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Don't go on confusing yourself with more and other practices. The ones you have are already nr.1. How many months/years have passed since you've started with kriya yoga practice?

The six yogas of Naropa are doing the very same as SPB/kriya pranayama and DM/ajna-meditation/chakra-japa etc.

The core of each of the systems is to bring the energies within the body-mind to the central channel through breathing, visualisation, conentration, mantra, et. for the sole purpose of touching that silence and bringing it "back" to the grossest of grossest. In other words, to bring heaven on earth. Even "deeper", to merge absolute with relative permanently within the body-mind.

The six yogas are more complicated and need more dedication and time to bring success. A karmic buddhist backround will make it much more easy. If you have been drawn to kriya yoga and already have the actual techniques in your hands, it would be really like eating an apple and looking for an orange to switch with yours before having eaten yours to the end.

Both are sweet and both are eaten a little bit differently, but both will make your body happy. AYP is like a banana, eating it is even more easy, but if you eat too much at the same time, it could be too much for your stomach and temporarily create the opposite desired effect.

Which fruit do you choose, all are delicious. Pick one just easily with intuition, don't make it complicated. And then happy eating, it will be just fine.

Hi,

After posting my question above I wanted it to be disregarded because I was only looking for intellectual knowledge. Holy, you are absolutely right!
I have been doing Kriya Yoga inconsistently for a couple years now. However I have been consistently doing it for a couple months. In fact on a previous weekend I did an intensive of 108 kriya Pranayama in one sitting. The effects were amazing and very tangible, so I definitely don't underestimate the effectiveness of kriya yoga. However the two times I did that intensive that weekend took over two hours to complete. I wanted to do something just as effective in less time. So,for the week after the intensive I did AYP techniques including:

Asanas - 10 min
Spinal Breathing - 10 min
Chin Pump - 5 min
Spinal Bastrika - 5 min
Deep Meditation - 20 min
Yoni Mudra(kriya yoga style)-3 times/50 sec.
Rest- 5 min

The effects were very pleasant and powerful, by they only lasted several minutes. Whereas, the Kriya intensive's effect lingered for almost two days. These two are very effective methods.

P.S. What is your experience and opinion on the Kriya yoga yoni mudra and Yoni mudra kumbhaka of AYP? Kriya Yoga Thokar v.s. AYP chin pump? and Spinal Bastrika v.s. long hours Kriya Pranayama,( i.e. 108 Kriyas)?
Thank you in advance for the reply.

-Chela7
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  7:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I'm aware of 3-4 variations of kriya yoga techniques, but only regard those valuable which have brought the teacher himself to the source of all sources.

One set is that of Hans from his site: www.kriyayoga.com
One is that of Gurunath directly learned from him.
One is that of Yogananda, through his paper lessons.

Hans' version is more original, Yognanda and Gurunath's versions are more simplified and more easy accessible for the majority of people. One could also say, they are more like AYP. Gurunath's version is a bit more advanced.

The main difference between both systems lies in the meditation part afterwards. AYP uses mantra meditation without specific localization to go deeper. Kriya yoga uses "brute force" karmic imprints cleaning and creates an enivorenment where no thought and deepening happens out of itelf. The one or other system additionally uses this eased state and oncentrates on the ajna (Yogananda), kutashta (Hans) or even the sahasrar (Gurunath).

AYP is more focused on efficiency and for that reason applies perfectly all the mudras and bandhas into the breathing routine, while kriya yoga externalizes this to maha mudra and yoni mudra kumbhakka.

AYP starts the global cleaning on a more refined and deeper level (DM) while kriya yoga starts with an intense grossly-level-cleansing by great amounts of breathing.

AYP aims to bring freedom aka the witness faster into the game to make the cleaning process more self-dependant while kriya yoga builds more upon trust and surrender to the guru/god/ideal and concentrates first on transforming the worlds of movement.

It is easier to do a lot on the refined levels aka mind with DM than on the grossly level with kriya pranayama, which is the reason why the sitting sessions of kriya yoga are longer than those of AYP. It doesn't mean that one is better than the other.

For my body, the AYP apporach alone for example was too direct and intense, meaning the grossly body could not handle the immense subtle cleaning on the mind and thought level and many times got very weak and ill.

The kriya yoga approach did not bring such immediate results but when they came with the same intensity as with ayp, the body was strong enough and was even more heaalthy and strong than ever.

On the other side, the busy world we are living here demands more efficient methods to cope with the inner bhakti of diving deeply into the silent depths. So as you pointed out, 2 times 2-4 hours of kriya yoga is not too easy to bring into the daily routine.

If time is no problem, kriya yoga will do it more smoothly. But if you can't take the time, than AYP will be better. AYP has a limit which kriya yoga has not so much. You can't do 40 minutes of DM to speed up the cleaning if you have more time. But you can double the amount of kriya breaths without getting much problems if you have the time.

In my case, I had to find the middle way of both =P It works for me better than the one or the other alone. If my body could handle any voltage, I'd even choose Maitreya Ishwaras method over any other ^^ Best of best, but nearly undoable if the living style is not optimized and harmonized completely on all levels.

To answer your questions more detailedly:

Yoni mudra in kriya yoga has different usages. Hans uses it wouthout kumbhaka as an aid to concentrate on kutashta in the meditation phase after kriya pranayama. Yogananda uses it similarily for listening to the inner sounds in the chakras and concentrating more easily on ajna at the front. Gurunath uses it very similarily to Yogani's yoni mudra kumbhaka. As I remember Yogananda uses it for that aswell and most probably Yogani got some hints for his version from him ;)

Kriya Yoga thokar vs. AYP chin pump, I can't comment on that too much as I'm not directly into that practice. It happens more automatically here in between and directly before and after sessions out of itself.

Spinal bhastrika vs. long hours kriya pranayama. It comes to the same observations as written above, more eficiency with more strain on the system vs. less efficiency with more smoothness.

There are other good kriya yoga techniques that AYP is not into. One is navi kriya. AYP has it too, but it is different. Navi kriya is mosty done before pranayama and immensly stabilizes and silences the body-mind-system, gives much strength for the long pranayma sessions. Yogananda didn't have long kriya pranayama sessions, so he did not teach navi kriya. Hans' version is build upon increasing kriya numbers so navi kriya is taught directly in the beginning. Gurunath's system starts with low amounts of kriya breaths and increases over months to 12x12 in one year. And somewhere in between he gives advanced lessons where navi kriya, yoni mudra, kechari mudra etc. is taught. Thokar comes even later.

The experiences here say, you don't need so many practices to dive deeep into yourself and bath in peace, come out and live in joy, love and creative intelligence. If bhakti calls, more advanced techniques pop up. It's natural and we are lucky to live in a time where all info is available long ago before we need and/or can apply them.

Sometimes less in practices is more. Too many practices can hinder the deepening into one. There are many people who do full sets of practices and have not much deepening happening while others just do DM and the body goes down because of too much bliss =P

So in your test routine of AYP, the DM part most probably did not go too deep. there were too many other elements before which channeled the energies in dfferent directions. AYP also starts getting very good over some time after DM starts diving deeper and deeper. You would have needed about 30-40+ minutes to get a glimpse how AYP adresses the cleaning.

Puh, one could write muc much more about it. But it would be best if you find something you can really do daily and consistently that works for you, meaning brings you into more and more depths of silence.

I hope that you don't have to test too much anymore to bring this approach to a stable level and can start living the fruit ever growing and tasting better :)
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  5:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I'm aware of 3-4 variations of kriya yoga techniques, but only regard those valuable which have brought the teacher himself to the source of all sources.

One set is that of Hans from his site: www.kriyayoga.com
One is that of Gurunath directly learned from him.
One is that of Yogananda, through his paper lessons.

Hans' version is more original, Yognanda and Gurunath's versions are more simplified and more easy accessible for the majority of people. One could also say, they are more like AYP. Gurunath's version is a bit more advanced.

The main difference between both systems lies in the meditation part afterwards. AYP uses mantra meditation without specific localization to go deeper. Kriya yoga uses "brute force" karmic imprints cleaning and creates an enivorenment where no thought and deepening happens out of itelf. The one or other system additionally uses this eased state and oncentrates on the ajna (Yogananda), kutashta (Hans) or even the sahasrar (Gurunath).

AYP is more focused on efficiency and for that reason applies perfectly all the mudras and bandhas into the breathing routine, while kriya yoga externalizes this to maha mudra and yoni mudra kumbhakka.

AYP starts the global cleaning on a more refined and deeper level (DM) while kriya yoga starts with an intense grossly-level-cleansing by great amounts of breathing.

AYP aims to bring freedom aka the witness faster into the game to make the cleaning process more self-dependant while kriya yoga builds more upon trust and surrender to the guru/god/ideal and concentrates first on transforming the worlds of movement.

It is easier to do a lot on the refined levels aka mind with DM than on the grossly level with kriya pranayama, which is the reason why the sitting sessions of kriya yoga are longer than those of AYP. It doesn't mean that one is better than the other.

For my body, the AYP apporach alone for example was too direct and intense, meaning the grossly body could not handle the immense subtle cleaning on the mind and thought level and many times got very weak and ill.

The kriya yoga approach did not bring such immediate results but when they came with the same intensity as with ayp, the body was strong enough and was even more heaalthy and strong than ever.

On the other side, the busy world we are living here demands more efficient methods to cope with the inner bhakti of diving deeply into the silent depths. So as you pointed out, 2 times 2-4 hours of kriya yoga is not too easy to bring into the daily routine.

If time is no problem, kriya yoga will do it more smoothly. But if you can't take the time, than AYP will be better. AYP has a limit which kriya yoga has not so much. You can't do 40 minutes of DM to speed up the cleaning if you have more time. But you can double the amount of kriya breaths without getting much problems if you have the time.

In my case, I had to find the middle way of both =P It works for me better than the one or the other alone. If my body could handle any voltage, I'd even choose Maitreya Ishwaras method over any other ^^ Best of best, but nearly undoable if the living style is not optimized and harmonized completely on all levels.

To answer your questions more detailedly:

Yoni mudra in kriya yoga has different usages. Hans uses it wouthout kumbhaka as an aid to concentrate on kutashta in the meditation phase after kriya pranayama. Yogananda uses it similarily for listening to the inner sounds in the chakras and concentrating more easily on ajna at the front. Gurunath uses it very similarily to Yogani's yoni mudra kumbhaka. As I remember Yogananda uses it for that aswell and most probably Yogani got some hints for his version from him ;)

Kriya Yoga thokar vs. AYP chin pump, I can't comment on that too much as I'm not directly into that practice. It happens more automatically here in between and directly before and after sessions out of itself.

Spinal bhastrika vs. long hours kriya pranayama. It comes to the same observations as written above, more eficiency with more strain on the system vs. less efficiency with more smoothness.

There are other good kriya yoga techniques that AYP is not into. One is navi kriya. AYP has it too, but it is different. Navi kriya is mosty done before pranayama and immensly stabilizes and silences the body-mind-system, gives much strength for the long pranayma sessions. Yogananda didn't have long kriya pranayama sessions, so he did not teach navi kriya. Hans' version is build upon increasing kriya numbers so navi kriya is taught directly in the beginning. Gurunath's system starts with low amounts of kriya breaths and increases over months to 12x12 in one year. And somewhere in between he gives advanced lessons where navi kriya, yoni mudra, kechari mudra etc. is taught. Thokar comes even later.

The experiences here say, you don't need so many practices to dive deeep into yourself and bath in peace, come out and live in joy, love and creative intelligence. If bhakti calls, more advanced techniques pop up. It's natural and we are lucky to live in a time where all info is available long ago before we need and/or can apply them.

Sometimes less in practices is more. Too many practices can hinder the deepening into one. There are many people who do full sets of practices and have not much deepening happening while others just do DM and the body goes down because of too much bliss =P

So in your test routine of AYP, the DM part most probably did not go too deep. there were too many other elements before which channeled the energies in dfferent directions. AYP also starts getting very good over some time after DM starts diving deeper and deeper. You would have needed about 30-40+ minutes to get a glimpse how AYP adresses the cleaning.

Puh, one could write muc much more about it. But it would be best if you find something you can really do daily and consistently that works for you, meaning brings you into more and more depths of silence.

I hope that you don't have to test too much anymore to bring this approach to a stable level and can start living the fruit ever growing and tasting better :)

Hello,

Holy, thank you so much for your very insightful reply.

You mention that you practice a middle way of both methods, What is your current routine?

You mentioned that Maitreya Ishwaras method is the best of the best, What is his method?

Hypothetically speaking, if I was to combine the basic kriya yoga techniques with Matreya's method would it be as powerful/efficient as AYP?

Thank you very much in advance.

-Chela7
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000