Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Ho Ma,Is it a mantra?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - May 31 2012 :  02:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone;

I'm the type of person who's used to seeing figures,light and sounds just before falling asleep.

But yesterday it was a bit different,after seeing some triangular shapes(more like pyramids) & then some repetitive identical figures that looked like human figures in straight line but I'm not sure for it was not so clear....I started hearing the word Ho Ma ...Ho Ma.....Ho Ma

To my surprise,my whole being was repeating that word as well...I consciously stop myself...only later on to see my body is automatically repeating that sound from within.

It's not something i came across before.The only mantra I used/use is AYP's with the enhancement lately.

would like to hear what's that if anyone came across something similar.

Love.

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - May 31 2012 :  06:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In India the word Homa refers to a fire ceremony. I don't believe that they chant the words HO MA but that is what they call it. Of course the word "ma" means mother in most languages. I would say to just enjoy the feeling and relax into it as you drift off. Sounds comforting to me.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 31 2012 :  08:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Any inner sound can be a mantra (does not have to be defined by any scriptures )... that is what you needed at that point. Should you be working that mantra all the time... I would say no... if it comes up on its own again go with it, consciously just stay with the mantra you work with.
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - May 31 2012 :  10:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A few years ago, when I was first starting this leg of my spiritual journey, I started hearing (and feeling, strongly) "om ah hum" internally - it's like I was being driven to use it as a mantra, which I did.

Nowadays, I mainly just use breath, sometimes alternating with "ayam" - although I still occasionally hear Om Ah Hum springing up inside of me during meditation, and will switch to it if it's strong and insistent enough.

The syllables sound much like your Ho Ma, just with the "H" in a different place, and the "u" sound added :)

Edited by - wigswest on May 31 2012 10:07:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - May 31 2012 :  10:21:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Victor .Definitely it's a "Ho" but the second sound is mmmm....& then maybe Ahh so I said Ma.
thank you Shanti :)

Wigwest I've heard "OM" before...but it was different!In my case,when I used to hear OM it's in the head ...while last night it was in the heart space....

thank you for your feedbacks.

[img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

kaserdar

91 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  06:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Delara,

Regarding those figures, lights and sound, do you get them also when you medidate?

Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  08:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Kaserdar;
In general ,I would say no.During meditation,I'm in space with no sense of my body. I might have seen a vision here & there when I get out from that state but to be honest,I don't remember.

Most light figures & sounds(shall I say musical,because they sound so!),I see/hear during the day mostly when I close my eyes for sometime or just when I'm preparing to sleep.(I'm a sleepy head,I fall asleep within minutes from deciding to sleep!)

Salam
Go to Top of Page

yogishankar

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  12:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Salam Delara.

Unfortunately HO MA is not a mantra in any system of religion.

Normally Primordial sounded meditation are considered as powerful. Primordial sounds were the ones created by ancients without using the toungue.

I felt that for me, A-U-M is the most powerful. When I pronounce Aaaa(A sound in father) the sound comes from stomach (navel area), Uuuu sound comes from throat and Mmmm sound comes from closed mouth (sound waves can be sensed in nose tip and ajna chakra region). It is easy for me as well, I have to start Aaaa with full mouth, without moving toungue. U is half mouth and M is mouth closed:). No toungue usage at all. Further I could feel the energy created by the sound moves from Stomach (manipura chakra) to Throat pit (Visuddhi chakra)to Ajna chakra (eye brow and nose area).

AUM sound is similar to Om sound. Om starts with half mouth open, while Aum starts with full mouth open. However AUM produces more powerful energy.

Edited by - yogishankar on Jul 01 2012 4:41:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Namath

350 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  04:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Shankar;

Delara is my previous nickname in the forum.Sorry for any confusion.

As you know...After that I had many visions and many sounds...not interested in any of them anymore!

"He is Allah-Allah us Samad-
#8207;He begets not, nor was He begotten-
#8207;And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him"

It's said this Surha summarizes the whole Quran.I can't see any mention of color,sound ..etc when mentioning Allah!
& since my aim is Allah and nothing but Allah,I reach a conclusion that all these visions are distraction!pull me away from life and away from Allah.

thank you for your kind input

Salam

Go to Top of Page

yogishankar

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  8:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Namath,

Truth is one, paths are many. This is a straight quote from Upanishads.

I was making research to understand what sound is called as mantra? I heard from a Swamiji that any sound given by an ancient Saint (atleast 2000 yrs old)is called as mantra. We cannot create our own mantra.

Love and Grace

Edited by - yogishankar on Jul 02 2012 9:11:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Namath

350 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  07:41:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Salam Shankar;

"Truth is one, paths are many"
Sure thing

We cannot create our own mantra.
I wasn't trying to create my own mantra.It's just a sound I suppose.
Few days back,I was sitting with my bro who's very down to earth & way too far from spirituality,religion and all these stuff...In brief he wouldn't work his head with anything that's not related to $$$ :)...& I started hearing Vvvvvvvvvvvvv......mmmmmmmmmmmmmm vvvvvvvvvvvvvv....non stop in all my being again...that's when I started to doubt my sanity.I asked my bro if he hears such sounds himself from time to time.His reply was yes...before sleeping depending on how much busy he was during the day!

So It can be anything really!
Go to Top of Page

yogishankar

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  4:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can mention about a Divine mantra here:

Just observe your breath going in. You can hear the sound 'So'

There is a small gap, after coming in.

Then the breath goes out thru Nostril. You can hear the sound 'Ha'

There is a small gap before next breath. This is equivalent m.

This in-born mantra is called 'SoHam' mantra. For each breath, we do this japa automatically.

This is also called Hamsa dharana. Just observation of breath and the sound made by the body.

Ha is the subtle sound for breath going out. Sa is the subtle sound for breath coming in.

You can read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soham_(Sanskrit)

You need not chant the mantra loudly or murmuring. Just visualize that the breath in makes its own very very subtle sound of mantra Sa or So and when it goes out Ha sound similarly. That's all. It is just mental visualization for 15 minutes a day and then leave it. The mantra japa happens automatically 60X60X24/4 seconds a day= 21,600 times (Each breath in and out takes 4 seconds).

This just one observation of breathing is good enough for enlightenment.

Edited by - yogishankar on Jul 07 2012 08:49:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Namath

350 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  02:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I love it!

As a matter of fact,I do tend to watch my breath when sitting silently on my own..& the no-thought state between the breathes.

Now the question is,will this work with AYP practices,is it wise to add it!

Will try it when I feel inclined to & report back.

Thank you Shankar!

Go to Top of Page

yogishankar

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  08:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Namath,

This So Ham mantra is automatic and unconscious. All you have to do is to imagine that your each breath-in is Soo... and each breath-out is Ha...... No need to chanting. Every thing is in mind. Just visualize for 10 to 15 minutes initially and leave it in unconscious. Unconscious will take over and mantra japa happens automatically. This is called Ajapa japa.

Actually, this mantra chanting happening already in each one of us. I am just bringing it out to awareness/ consciousness that we are chanting a mantra since birth. That consciousness/ awareness gives enlightenment.

Since this mantra is in-born in each one of the human beings as part of our natural breathing and survival, it will work with any practices.

http://www.swamij.com/soham-mantra.htm

Salam

Edited by - yogishankar on Jul 08 2012 08:51:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  09:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Namath

350 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  1:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Shankar...sounds good.

& the website is great too...recommended by a friend before but I totally forgot it.Thank you for bringing it up again

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000