Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Is there any affect on speech from Kechari cutting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  8:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi I have been considering cutting the frenum to enable kechari, and I have been a little reluctant to go ahead with it.

What purpose does the frenum serve?

Has anyone experienced any difference in speech, eating or anything else from cutting the frenum? not just what you would consider detrimental but anything that might make you feel not quit yourself.

I have never got a tattoo or pierceing before and this sort of feels like the same category of body alteration (that is there is no going back)so I was just wondering if anyone has had any issues after cutting that you might want to tell others (me) about.

Thank you very much

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  10:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jamuna

Has anyone experienced any difference in speech

Considering it's me we're talking about here, I'm can confidently say:

A. No.

&

B. Anyone from the forum who has spent time around me in person (i.e. at our two recent retreats, in Pennsylvania, and New Jersey, in the U.S.) can certainly "back me up" on this.

(My inner silence tends to take the form of words ... often many of them ... ... in person/speech, just as it does in writing).

quote:

I have never got a tattoo or pierceing before and this sort of feels like the same category of body alteration (that is there is no going back)so I was just wondering if anyone has had any issues after cutting that you might want to tell others (me) about.

I've never looked at it like that. For me, there was some slight and temporary swelling at the area of the frenum, but it was all far less dramatic than my mind had thought it might be, back then (I thought a lot more then, and confused thoughts with reality as well; very stressful, at times ... ).

In general, my tongue was able to reach farther, and therefore, to go into Khechari Stage 2, but in sense of day-to-day "tongue stuff" ...... zero change. Zero. (Other than the slight/temporary swelling/minor roughness, I mentioned ... but that always healed really fast).

I hope this is useful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  03:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PHEWWW
That made me feel so much better

quote:
(My inner silence tends to take the form of words ... often many of them ... ... in person/speech, just as it does in writing).

Well I am glad I love reading your posts

quote:
but in sense of day-to-day "tongue stuff" ...... zero change. Zero.

yeah I have been pretty nervous. . . thats good to hear, I like the way I am now so zero change plus kechari = awesome

ok then. . . .gulp
Go to Top of Page

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  10:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have also snipped and also noticed zero change in the everyday tongue functions, other than the fact that I can now reach farther back in my throat and do kechari.

As to what the function of the frenum is and potential risks, only one comes to mind, but those with more medical knowledge than me can confirm/deny:

I believe when people lose consciousness in an unnatural way (drinking too much, fainting, etc.) there is sometimes a danger that the tongue will fall back and obstruct the breathing passage. This is why (among other reasons) that I think you're not supposed to just leave someone there if they fall asleep in a drunken stupor and are slumped up against a wall (they could also vomit and choke). I think you're supposed to get them to at least lie down flat (or maybe it's the other way around now that I think about it... perhaps passed out people should be made to sit up so their tongue doesn't fall back?).

I wonder if the biological function of the frenum is not to decrease the risk of this happening (the tongue falling back and obstructing the airway) by effectively anchoring it to the floor of the mouth? Of course, this is just something I heard somewhere once, so it could be totally apocryphal.

In any case, this to me seems like a very minor risk if you do not often drink yourself into a stupor, and the benefits of kechari are so amazing it's worth a little minor risk anyway, I think.

But to confirm on a hopefully more encouraging note: no change in talking, eating, or any other daily tongue functions for me--and I was actually pretty aggressive with the snipping.

Edited by - tamasaburo on Jan 13 2011 2:27:08 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000