Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Breathing Breath Cycle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Still

Ireland
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  3:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

When I was originally initiated into Kriya Yoga I was taught to do the spinal breathing in a specific amount of time both on the inhale and exhale. This was to be mastered so that it would take the exact same amount of time for each breath cycle. The number of seconds it took seemed important. Does anyone know why this was so, and if it matters how long your cycle takes?

Love and Light,

Still

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  4:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Still

...if it matters how long your cycle takes?

Still

Interesting question! It inspired me to (re)read the main lesson on the topic. Here is what I found.

The AYP instruction for Spinal Breathing Pranayama is to "to breathe slowly and deeply with comfort." The length of a breathing cycle is left undefined, making room for differences in different people and in different times in the purification cycle.

Yogani explains "...the preparation for release of obstructions is happening during the slow breathing. When obstructions come loose and are released, the breathing will not be so slow."

Lesson 62 - Q&A – Duration of one spinal breathing cycle? http://www.aypsite.org/62.html

Edited by - bewell on Jan 02 2011 4:31:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Still

Ireland
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  6:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks bewell for your reply.

The question arose as before I found AYP, while doing SBP I had been so focused on meeting the 'target time' for each breath. Practise seemed very rigid... Now I practise SBP for 10 minutes in total and can relax while doing it Just wondered if anyone knew why I had been originally taught to do SBP that way and for what benefit?

Love & Light,

Still

Edited by - Still on Jan 02 2011 6:55:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  8:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience while the practice length should be for a specific length of time (say 10 or 20 mins) the actual length of the breath is best not timed. All you need to do is to make the exhalation long and smooth, the retention to your own comfort capacity and the inhalation smooth and open. With practice it will self correct quite well. If you do timed breath cycles you are imposing an artificial overlay on your practice that will reduce inner sensitivity and likely cause some stress to your nerves. I am not familiar with Kriya as such, just speaking from my own pranayama experience.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  7:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lahiri Mahasaya says something about the quality of a kriy breath in relation to its length. After having reached >= 44 seconds for 1 breath, the kriya is called excellent.

There are many reasons for slow breathing. Thought-waves slow down and concentration increases. With that, control of the prana flow increases and entering and traveling inside the spinal nerve gets more easy.

In general, the breath seems to be shorter in the beginning phases of practice and gets longer and longer over months and years. Not that it is something to be forced. It happens hand in hand with the ongoing inner purification.

It also depends on many factors like current living style, the amount of food in the body, morning or evening-session etc.
Go to Top of Page

apatride

New Caledonia
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  06:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit apatride's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From my (short) experience, leading a spinal breathing at a standard speed for 10 min (I mean slow but not REAL slow) can be quite relaxing, but when it's done really slowly, focusing on the breath following the back spine, soon it becomes very physical. Each expiration seems like melting and diving into ecstasy, and each inspiration is like being pierced by a light between the two eyes.

So yes, I confirm that having a slow breathing 1- helps focusing on the path of the back spine and 2- is more powerful (although it is not the purpose).

I've been practicing only for a few days but it's quite easy to get a real slow breathing, should I take care still? I don't know but everything seems fine for the moment.

Also it seems natural to suspend the breathing when at its lowest or highest, and it's like there's no need for breathing and it's comfortable.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  2:48:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
apatride, you seem like you have the knack, just stick with it at your comfort zone and develop deeper and deeper sensitivity with time
Go to Top of Page

apatride

New Caledonia
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  3:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit apatride's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah you can say I have the knack :)
But I don't want to go to fast, a lot of people told me that prayanama can be disastrous when done too fast, too deep, too early.

My problem is, how can I figure that I'm not looking for a result when I should focus on the work which is done? I don't know if I'm clear, let's say sometimes I'm most looking for the ecstasy feeling than keeping focused on the back spine path. But most of the time, one is just linked to the other so whathever.

Maybe I'm thinking too much : should I wait for any inconvenience to self-pace, or should I self-pace before any inconvenience?
^_^
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  3:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't look for the ecstasy feeling. Expectations will slow things down.
And wait for overload symptoms before you self-pace.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000