Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Strong pain in the chest
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

apatride

New Caledonia
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  9:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit apatride's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi there,

I'm 27 years old and not very experienced with yoga practice. I've been doing ashtanga (two lessons) and hatha (ten lessons) so as you can see I'm quite a rookie on the matter

But I've been conducing some experiences on my own and I recently discovered the power of breathing, although I did not know that it was already a science called prayanama at the time.

Every day, I was deliciously falling in a cloud of breath, and soon with my eyes closed I was able to see patterns of lights pulsating between my eyebrows. It was a few weeks ago and I did not know to use it although it was feeling great.

I thought that was meditation, and was not entirely wrong because it was halfway between inner silence and focus on breathing.

A few days ago I discovered AYP website and it was an enlightenment; finally I could make up something with this practice, and walk a path I naturally wanted to.

So I've been practicing 10 min prayanama + 20 min I AM mantra for the 3 last days, and I have a burning bakhti which I'm precautiously self pacing, otherwise I would be doing a lot more.

So I'm getting to my problem, last night I woke up at 3 am with a vivid pain in my chest, at heart level but diffuse. I had to breathe and move slowly, otherwise it was aching a lot more. I managed to move on my back, and let the pain slowly fades out before I fall back to sleep.

This morning, the pain was gone but I still feel like a little pressure at the same level, and I can recognize the feeling although it's far from being as painful at last night.

I have no reason or no health problem which could explain that pain, I've never felt something like that before. Of course, I'm well aware that it could be something unrelated with prayanama and/or meditation practice, but I have to take it into account still.

So I'd like to know if it could be related, and if it could mean that I have to self-pace practice a bit more.

Thanks for your answers.

(Anyway, if the pain is coming back I'll go to a doctor, in case it's not related at all)

(Also, I'm French-speaking so I hope my english is good enough... if not let me know and I will try to improve)

Edited by - apatride on Jan 03 2011 10:22:47 PM

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  10:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, welcome to the forums!

I have occasionally had pain in my heart/chest area which I believe is related to practices. It can feel like something is passing down through my heart, and it is too big to fit. Or it can also feel like stones grinding together. Or ice cracking. It usually passes quickly. So if it feels like your heart was melting, or opening up, or passing a blockage, it was probably related to the practices. Also, when the pain passes after this, it tends to feel a little good. As if it has opened up a little bit.

You really have to use your own best judgment sometimes to decide whether something is a movement of spiritual energy, or a real physical problem which requires medical attention. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell the difference, but as you do practices longer, it will be easier.

I have read posts on here in the past of people going to the doctor about such an incident, and finding nothing wrong. On the other hand, it would be foolish to ignore certain serious pains. Again, it is all up to you. I think you have the right idea, that if it is recurring or persistent, or particularly intense, then go to the doctor.

Enjoy the new practices.
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  07:40:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Apatride,

Welcome to Forum and I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Regarding you pain I feel first go to the doctor and check it out so that you are clear in that matter and make sure it isn't Related to health Issue! Other than that be easy on your practice do some self spacing as the purification can also create such pains.

Do go through the lessons in the forum..on main lessons!

You can start with meditation and then add Pranayama. But I would suggest you to get yourself checked with doctor for safer side!

May you See the Light of Enlightenment!

Love and Light
Viji
Go to Top of Page

apatride

New Caledonia
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  4:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit apatride's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
First of all, thank you very much for your answers. It confirms my first thoughts and it's very helping.

During the last day, after my pain-in-the-chest-night, I've felt quite irratable and with a lack of patience towards my co-workers. I was even more angry because I knew it was in a large part coming from me, but I was not able to manage it and I passed the whole day in a rather bad mood.

If I understand the lessons and Q/R which I have all read, it's a normal thing when one's practice is too sustained. So yesterday I had a 7-8 min prayanama + 18 min meditation session, followed by a 10 min relaxation (which ended in 20 min sleeping ), had a good resting night and again this morning with 8 min prayanama + 20 min meditation. During prayanama, I felt my back spine like I never did before, almost vibrating all along the path.

2 hours after, typing this message, I feel perfectly fine and in a good mood, with good feelings and sensations.

I'm ready to self-pace and/or go to a medic if it ever comes back.

Again, thank you very much for your answers.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  5:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome apatride.

Glad to hear you are feeling better. You may find it interesting to know that some of us here have been discussing "chest pain" recently:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=8894#8894
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=8894#76888
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=8894#76888
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=8894#77551

My chest pain disappeared soon after I wrote about it.

Be

Go to Top of Page

apatride

New Caledonia
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  6:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit apatride's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks bewell, that's great stuff. It's hard to compare my pain to one's pain, but I can't imagine it's not something related to my practice, for being so strong and unfamiliar. But my thoughts also create my own reality so I keep in mind to self-pace my interpretations.

Thanks for your answers, this forum is full of lessons and good people, I might be resting here for a moment
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  5:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hey dude, i would say that this might be muscle/fascial pain. check it out....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000