Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Psychology & Kundalini- related psychosis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chrisk

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2011 :  5:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I' m a student of transcendental psychology and I' m writing an article on kundalini and premature awakening. Perhaps it might be interesting to all aspirants here as well, if someone can give me some hints on the process by which certain possible psychosis can be caused by premature kundalini rising?
Also, how do we generally reverse such symptoms?
I know this is a technical field of trancendental psychology but I' d be grateful if someone can furnish some information.
Thank you,
Chris.
======

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  2:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Chris,

Im no expert, but just based on my experience, kundalini related psychosis symptoms are caused by a combination of an immature nervous system and a lack of experience in silence and deep meditation. There is some psychosis inherant in the ego and pain body. If kundalini beomes active in a (relatively) imbalanced person, it can strengthen/fuel/accelerate his or her mental/emotional processes, leading to "psychosis". So, the cure would be to practice light spinal breathing, deep meditation, and present moment awareness... creating balance. Also, one should seek help from a qualified professional/guru and/or AYP.

Edited by - chas on Jan 07 2011 3:04:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chrisk

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  5:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and thank you very much.
In other words, is the psychosis inherent in our own self, or is it created by bombardment from foreign, so-to-speak entities?
Thank you.
Chris.
======
Go to Top of Page

Chrisk

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  5:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the pain body, please? Is it distinct from our self? I have not seen this anywhere else. I pretty much thought that pain is part of the nervous system and I was planning another question to the forum, regarding whether pain can help the nervous system like pranayama does, or whether pain helps as grounding, i.e. clearing blockages.
Now I see you refer to pain as a distinct body, which I find intriguing. Anyone who does yoga must be familiar with... pain so to speak, having to twist the joints here and there, and especially since I' m also a kung fu practitioner we basically learn to withstand pain, thus I find your statement interesting.
Thank you very much,
Chris.
======
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  7:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chrisk

What is the pain body, please?

Hi Chrisk,

According to wikipedia, in his book A New Earth, Eckhart Tolle defines the term 'pain-body' as "an accumulation of old emotional pain".

The concept of the "pain body" was made popular, and to my knowledge, invented by Echart Tolle. You can learn more about it by Googling "pain body."
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22P...nt=firefox-a

The idea is not used frequently here on AYP Forum, but it was referenced here:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=968

I found that by googling this:
aypsite tolle "pain body."

The google search engine has never ceased to amaze me!

Be
Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  10:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, bewell is correct, I got the term "pain body" from Tolle. My understanding is that ones accumulation of karmic traces manifests (partly) as emotional processes. This helps to explain why sometimes we will feel emotional pain (bad mood, anger, etc..) that may or may not be associated with our direct experience in the now. It is entity like in that it seeks more pain and grows stronger by "feeding" on pain. Consider times when it feels appropriate to be angry, sad, etc.. This is a broad subject and I can't describe it completely here (read Tolle if you're interested), but if you are aware when it manifests, you can learn its function. Ultimately, "pain body" is just a term. I was just using it to make a point.

Edited by - chas on Jan 07 2011 11:41:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chrisk

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  5:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to second the fact that K. symptoms are the result of over-sensitive nervous system.
Go to Top of Page

skater1287

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  8:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When K started with me, I had no idea of it for at least a couple of months after-ward.
I felt that I was going insane because I had reversed my sleeping patterns and found myself reading "spiritual" books through the night with a passion! I also felt that bugs were crawling in my skin and that I was becoming aggressive due to my classes that kept demanding busy work and attention at a time when I could hardly concentrate, I also felt an intense passion to be abstinent and do more self-inquiry.

My nervous system was not immature either, it was just the constant stress that was driving my nervous system into semi-collapse. It was a battle to get through the time limits imposed by classes, work hours and trying to take care of myself at the same time. But After graduation, I finally got a chance to relax and reverse a lot of that damage while learning about something called Kundalini in a better atmosphere at home.
Then I started having better experiences of it through relaxation and I'm still dealing with that whole process today even though its unclear at times about what is happening.
My final point is that Kundalini wakes up whether a person realizes it or not- consciously/subconsciously or accidentally. It wakes up for a number of reasons and stress is a big catalyst since it influences the nervous system tremendously. If an awakened person is given the time, space and resources necessary to work through it then the symptoms can be tremendously better for the entire community, Otherwise they can manifest as something really negative and can do irreparable damage to a person physically/psychologically or spiritually.
I also don't think it is a coincidence that my behavior deteriorated near the end of college and that I acknowledged Kundalini right after the end of it, it was an ongoing process.I also believe that the negative-psychosis aspect, even though it is unmistakably bad, depends on the situation you are in. Once the person gets through the negative and can find himself in a better situation, then the better aspects of Kundalini like healing start happening. So it is a delicate process that can make or break a person while depending on the circumstances they are in within society too.

Edited by - skater1287 on Feb 05 2011 5:46:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  06:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I suggest you read Lee Sandella's research on this as he researched and wrote of the differences between pychosis and a K awakening.They are not the same he has stated.His book 'The Kundalini Experience' explains this or search on the net for his web site.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

skater1287

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  6:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, I think we're splitting hairs sometimes when we separate Kundalini from psychosis within the human spectrum, just for the sake of concepts.
They are different expressions- no doubt; but just they are also similar in many ways.
Kundalini has its origination in spirituality and psychosis has its origination in a chemical imbalance, trauma or a host of other serious disorders- those are the differences.
But they both root from the nervous system and changes within the nervous system; therefore I think the most important solution here is a teacher or a person who can help provide order to a distraught nervous system, or to prevent a distraught nervous system to begin with.
It doesn't have to be a spiritual practitioner, even a psychologist who can give appropriate advice about ways to keep the nervous system in order can help prevent the negative aspects of either.
Changes to an immature nervous system are a part of human life, its how you deal with them and how they eventually express towards yourself and others that separates sickness and health.
That is my belief. Others may have said different but they are not necessarily wrong based on their scope/field. I just think that both Kundalini and psychosis have their roots within the human experience, so its always better to talk to somebody that knows or to be as stable as possible and have better habits to avoid pitfalls on either.

Edited by - skater1287 on Feb 05 2011 6:10:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  2:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You might enjoy the biologyofkundalini.com site.

Also a woman who cals herself SFJane on youtube and on thetaobums.com has recently written a book I think would be perfect for you to read. She was in and out of psychosis and biploar and had problems from dangerous meditations on centers in the head in order to atempt waking up siddhis. Doctors told her she would never get well. She then moved to the countryside and lived alone for years doing meditation, tai chi, BAgua and qigong according after BRuce Kumar Frantzis` system. She practiced I think 5-8 hours a day or so and after a few years she was ccurde completely and had washed out every single trauma she could think of.

Interestingly the Frantzis` system focuses on disolving tension and obstructions to chi flow in the body and releasing hte tension downards into the earth. SFJAne says that her problems were largely caused by having lots of chi in the brain that should not have been there. She was imbalanced in other ways as well but the core of her heavy mental problems was caused by this.

I think she tells her story on youtube and in her blog but at at least you can find it in a couple of posts on thetaobums.com

Also Swami Rama has written a book that goes deeply into the distinction between psychosis and spiritual states and spiritual transformation. I can`remember the name but if you google a bit you should find it.

Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  3:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Skater,
Lee Sanella is not only a psychologist but he has also received shaktipat in the past, an experienced meditator and has also treated many for effects of spontaneous awakening.This is the reason I refer to him.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Chrisk

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  10:21:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all, it is true all that you say. I beleive all these practices are called Grounding as Yogani mentions also.
Thanks for you input,
Chris.
======
Go to Top of Page

Chrisk

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  05:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"SFJAne says that her problems were largely caused by having lots of chi in the brain that should not have been there."

Actually this is partially true, or not true at all, the reason being that it is the heart chakra which is associated mostly with brain activity as I read, so there is no need to look into other chakras like the crown etc, because these are relatively easy to close once they are accidentally open. the problem seems with the heart, if it is tampered with and forced to open prematurely, then it can bring an overload to the nervous system which we basically call kundalini syndrome, of course there' s also the rest of the lower chakras also that play some significance but it seems that from what I' ver read it is the heart chakra and not the head chakra responsible for excessive premature K symptoms. This does not mean that we are free to tamper with higher chakras for those too can bring destabization.
So, what the woman describes as energy in the brain is just the accelerated opening of the heart chakra when she is not ready. This causes much of the nervous system get out of whack and cause her symptoms which are basically real from her standpoint and not imaginary.
Chris.
======
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  2:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=9044

some of the information in this post maybe relevant

Hey,

it's interesting ure studying this subject.

I only recently discovered that my psychosis was precipitated by a premature kundalini awakeing.

I have documented most of my experiences in the thread posted above.

I agree that the pain body has to be dealt with and can be fed by negative cycles of thought which can be further powered by kundalini.

I'm not sure about the heart opening being the problem rather than the crown. I imagine it could be both.

There are many healing techniques i have found useful.

One of which works directly on a kundalini energy once it is in awareness (you must be aware of the distinct kundalini energy present in your body. Once deep meditation is performed you just release your intention (such as managing your kundalini energy properly) into the inner silence created by deep meditation. For me this had a instant and powerful effect.

I believe it is as Yogani has said that incorrect spiritual practices of previous ilfetimes leave karmic residues and a tendency to repeat themselves (cyclical existence)

Deep meditation in the long term will purify the pain body and strengthen the immune system to healthily integrate ecstasy into the immune system.

YOga nidra can also be very effective at clearing past negative emotions by being present with them and fully acknowledging them.

I've been on a mission to make my therapeutic spiritual practice as effective as seeing a counsellor.

I must admit that as Yogani says premature crown openings and kundalini awakenings have a karma all of their own. The practice of deep med and sammyama has been extremely effective in washing clean all the residue of the overload, providing you have an adequete practitioner to absorb/ground all that energy(it has to come out of your head)

the apana breath is also effective at washing and grounding (only for karmic residue of kundalini rather than kundalini itself)

Joe
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  3:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
in eastern body western mind by Judith Anodea she describe kundalini very well. for someone working in this area i would reccomend this book.

JOe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000