Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Derivation of "Yogani"?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  12:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So this is kind of a frivolous question, but I was flipping through my Sanskrit grammar to try to figure out the meaning of "Yogani." At first I thought it might be a plural of Yogin, like "many yogis," but that turns out to be Yoginas, then I thought it might be a plural, nominative, neuter, perhaps of Yoga, like yogam, yoganI, yogAni ("many types of yoga"), but since "yoga" is a masculine noun, that would be yogAs. Or maybe it's some kind of nominalization of the many kinds I can't keep straight in Sanskrit, like "that guy who's done lots of different kinds of Yoga"...?

Or maybe I'm overthinking this? Or maybe it's not a Sanskrit word at all but just some kind of nickname Yogani picked up somewhere? I know it's kind of silly, but maybe Yogani and/or someone with better Sanskrit than mine can enlighten me.

Edited by - tamasaburo on Dec 17 2010 1:57:53 PM

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  08:08:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tamasaburo:

Yes, just something I picked up somewhere. No special meaning or connection intended other than the obvious yoga aspect.

From antiquity, Yogani is a female goddess, but there is no connection with that here. I only heard about it after.

And I only heard about "Yogani Studios" (in Tampa, Florida) later also. No connection there either.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  10:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, okay, thanks Yogani!
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  02:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani and others,

In India, most Sindhi surnames end with "ani", like Advani, Chainani, Tahiliani, etc. So,after reading his extremely well written booklets on SM and SBP, I first thought Yogani may be a Sindhi Indian settled in the USA, who, coincidentally, is also a Yoga Expert. It was only later, after exchange of emails, that I learnt he is a white American, and I expressed my utter surprise at the depth of his knowledge about Yoga and the Indian Scriptures, including, most surprisingly, about the "Soundarya Lahari", which is believed to have been authored by Adi Sankara.
Others who have not read this,will find this an interesting read( the Ramakrishna Mutt has brought out a beautifully done english translation of this, costing less than one USD.)

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Dec 19 2010 03:02:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogishankar

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2013 :  9:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am seeing a Sanskrit word called Yogagni in Sanskrit. Is Yogani a derivation from Yogagni?

Edited by - yogishankar on Jun 09 2013 10:16:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  07:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogi,
I would think not - because yogagni comes from yoga+agni - yoga + fire/heat - so that probably refers to the heat produced by yoga practices- just guessing I am no expert.

One can't deny Yogani has stirred up some calm ( inner silence ) in the yoga world - not sure about the fire...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000